Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-22-2006, 04:12 PM   #671
deladrien

Default Re: 50-point Abilities

For my maiden post to the SJGames forum!

I didn't read all the submissions to the 50-point list, so I can't say whether this is like an attack already written up, but it is my own creation, originally posted (in modified form) to the GURPSnet mailing list.

PK Storm (+1565%): Innate Attack (Burning) +2 points, (Innacurate x3, -15%; Psychokinetic, -10%; Surge, +20%; Selective Area, +20%; Side Effect (Stunning), +50%; Side Effect (Seizure), +150%; Cosmic (Ignores DR), +300%; Area Effect (4,096 yard radius), +600%; Rapid Fire (ROF 300), +300%; Symptom (1/3rd HP, -10 HT), +150%) [50].
Notes: This is a very big storm of electricity. With a single thought, you can destabilize the electron orbits of every atom in your vicinity, causing intense electromagnetic disturbances on a macroscopic scale. With a skill of 14 (the character I built had skill 10 and Talent 4), +4 to hit an area of ground and +8 ROF, you will usually roll against an effective skill of 26. Most of the time, you'll want to center the attack on yourself for no range penalties, since a selective radius of 4,096 yards makes it easy to reach out and touch those pesky black ops helicopters and fighter jets, but leave your friends unsinged. On average, you're about 90% likely to make 12 or more hits. Each does only 2 points of damage, but with every hit, your victims must make seperate HT rolls to avoid stunning AND seizure - and it's got surge. Even worse, those that manage to lose a third of their hit points take an irresistible -10 penalty to HT, which makes it that much harder to resist the continuing side effects. Remember, PK Storm can hit EVERYTHING within 2.33 miles of you, so don't be afraid to blast armies. Because it ignores DR, this attack can eventually destroy anything, given some time. Tanks, skyscrapers, bridges, spaceships, bank vault doors, nothing is safe, unless of course it has Cosmic DR itself...
Modifications: Because of the low base damage, a few levels of Cosmic DR stops this cold. For a few more CP, consider a full die of damage, maybe 1D-1 or so. This starts to get utterly rediculous against people though. In the campaign I ran with a character who had this (a 30 point version, even!), the only way his enemies could deal with him was with snipers and other very heavy firepower (and only because he had virtually no other powers- besides an immobile DR 30 force field and flight). For even more ludicrous incapacitating shenanigans, try any of a number of other symtoms, which are really just incredibly powerful with this ability. Don't bother with much in the way of limitations, they won't lower the point value enough to matter. Someone else used a very high Acc for their attack, which could also work if you think you have time to aim. Replacing ROF with Acc nets you +57, which is not too shabby. Also not listed, because it doesn't quite fit the flavor of the attack, is Multiple Projectiles. ROF 300 also works out to 15x30, which means that at ranges under ten yards, you can theoretically get ROF 15 (skill drops to 21, for an average of 7 hits), and hits can deal 60(!) points of damage. This is not specifically limited by Area Effect, but the physics still get fuzzy. Experiment at your own risk.
Powers: I don't have Powers, so I can't help you there. It is however, Psychokinetic.
deladrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:58 AM   #672
Der Wanderer

Scrounger [76 CP]
(Inspired by the Half-Kender Scrounger from: Brothers in Arms: Raistlin Chronicles vol. II. by Margaret Weis and Don Perrin)
  • Charisma 2 [10]
  • Modular Ability 1/5 (Cost per slot 7/ per point 5; Limited to Detect (Where to find what someone elses wish) [5] -50%; Preparation Required (Talking to people for 10 min) -30%) [7]
  • Mind Reading (Reliable +10 +50%; Only to find out what the subjects greatest wish is -40%; Sense Based (Hearing) -20%; Must be able to speak -10%; Preparation Required (Must talk to subject for at least 10 min, immediately before using this ability x1.5) -45%) [14]
  • Luck (Only for Trading related Rolls -20%) [12]
  • Serendipity I (Only trading related -20%) [12]
  • Social Chameleon [5]
  • Perk (Honest Face) [1]
  • Intuition (Only for Trading/Gift making etc. -20%; Reliable 4 +20%) [15]
Description: You are trustworthy (Honest Face), charismatic (Charisma) person who easily blends into any crowd (Social Chameleon). Moreover you seem to bring always the right gift (Intuition). Your true strength however lies in trading, you rarely screw up (Luck), you can guess what you should offer as trading good (Intuition), or even find out your “trading partners” greatest wish (Mind Reading) by talking to him for 10 min. You are extremely lucky, and often have the desired trading good already available (Serendipity; e.g. your trading partner wants some licorice, and even though you don’t like licorice, for odd reasons you have packed some in your bag). You are also excellent at finding out where you can get your trading partners greatest wish (Modular Ability (Detect)) by simply talking to some people for 10 min.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:02 AM   #673
Der Wanderer

Infinite Extradimensional Storage [52]
Control 10 (Gravity; Only to reduce Gravity to 0G -50%; Only for Extradimensional Payload -60%; Always On -10%) [40]
Payload 8 (Cosmic (Extradimensional) +50%) [12]
Description: You have an extradimensional storage space that never fills up. You can put everything in there which weights not more than 8/10 of your basic lift.
Designer Note: For some reasons Payload goes for weight, as anything you put into your payload becomes weightless you can add stuff to your extradimensional space infinitely… This has been inspired by Rev’s Infinite TK

Last edited by Der Wanderer; 10-24-2006 at 09:10 AM.
Der Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 12:15 PM   #674
Dani Hibiki

I made this for a character I was making (Tonberry Mage, scarry, no?) and decided to make it a little less than it probably is. Let's just say I'm being nice to my players (I get to GM this one).

Chef's Knife (+270%):
Affliction 2 (Heart Attack, +300%; Armor Divisor 2, +50%; Melee Attack, C, -30%; Limited Use, Three Times per Day, -20%; Can be stolen, QC of DX or ST, -30%)
Notes: The "Doink" of the dreded Tonberry. Not much else to say. 74 points.

I hope I did this right, first one I've posted without Atreyu helping, though he did teach me how affliction works :)
Old 10-24-2006, 01:22 PM   #675
Der Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Hibiki
Chef's Knife (+270%):
Affliction 2 (Heart Attack, +300%; Armor Divisor 2, +50%; Melee Attack, C, -30%; Limited Use, Three Times per Day, -20%; Can be stolen, QC of DX or ST, -30%)
Notes: The "Doink" of the dreded Tonberry. Not much else to say. 74 points.

I hope I did this right, first one I've posted without Atreyu helping, though he did teach me how affliction works :)
Uhh I like deadly attacks...
While the writeup is correct for that particular effect (swinging a big, deadly knife) I would go with a Innate Attack (Cutting) modified with either Symptons or Side Effect (Basic pg 109) keeping the rest of the Enhancements/Limitations.
OK, I admit, I have never played FF so I have only a vague idea what the "Doink" really is. If it is a either dead or unharmed attack then ignore all I just wrote, however the wirte up with Innate Attack provides an itermediate where the victime is wounded but survives (for now).
Old 10-25-2006, 04:03 PM   #676
Atreyu_Hibiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Wanderer
Uhh I like deadly attacks...
While the writeup is correct for that particular effect (swinging a big, deadly knife) I would go with a Innate Attack (Cutting) modified with either Symptons or Side Effect (Basic pg 109) keeping the rest of the Enhancements/Limitations.
OK, I admit, I have never played FF so I have only a vague idea what the "Doink" really is. If it is a either dead or unharmed attack then ignore all I just wrote, however the wirte up with Innate Attack provides an itermediate where the victime is wounded but survives (for now).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonberry

Allow me to rally to Dani's defense... (hey, if a husband can't do it, who can?)
The Tonberry is a frightening little creature from most Final Fantasy games, usually found around the last dungeon. The rewards for beating one are immense, but if you succeed, you've earned them. Their primary weapon is an attack called the "Chef's Knife", in which they walk up to your character and poke them with a knife. Not cut, just poke you with the tip. A cutesy speech bubble pops up, declaring "Doink!" And you die.

If it doesn't work, then it misses completely and causes no damage. At least, that's what it does to the best of my recollection. It's the perfect example of a Heart Attack Affliction.

Thankfully, Tonberries are incredibly slow-moving creatures, and you have ample opportunities to hurt them before they get close enough to utilize the Chef's Knife. Unlike most FF monsters, Tonberries have to travel to be able to attack the hero. Thus, the insta-kill may or may not require a Takes Extra Time limitation. I pointed this limitation out to Dani while she was making the write-up, but she responded that once a Tonberry is in striking range, they can wipe out all three of your party members in short order, thus negating the TET thought.

The only reason for the "Three times a day" limitation is that we've never seen them use it more often than that (as Final Fantasy parties are generally three people.) It also brought the cost down to a reasonable range.

A more exact version of this attack would probably drop the Limited Use and increase the Affliction level to something akin to 10, raising the price to a very, very large number...
Atreyu_Hibiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 05:54 PM   #677
Blackseasofinfinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreyu_Hibiki

Allow me to rally to Dani's defense... (hey, if a husband can't do it, who can?)
The Tonberry is a frightening little creature from most Final Fantasy games, usually found around the last dungeon. The rewards for beating one are immense, but if you succeed, you've earned them. Their primary weapon is an attack called the "Chef's Knife", in which they walk up to your character and poke them with a knife. Not cut, just poke you with the tip. A cutesy speech bubble pops up, declaring "Doink!" And you die.

If it doesn't work, then it misses completely and causes no damage. At least, that's what it does to the best of my recollection. It's the perfect example of a Heart Attack Affliction.

Thankfully, Tonberries are incredibly slow-moving creatures, and you have ample opportunities to hurt them before they get close enough to utilize the Chef's Knife. Unlike most FF monsters, Tonberries have to travel to be able to attack the hero. Thus, the insta-kill may or may not require a Takes Extra Time limitation. I pointed this limitation out to Dani while she was making the write-up, but she responded that once a Tonberry is in striking range, they can wipe out all three of your party members in short order, thus negating the TET thought.

The only reason for the "Three times a day" limitation is that we've never seen them use it more often than that (as Final Fantasy parties are generally three people.) It also brought the cost down to a reasonable range.

A more exact version of this attack would probably drop the Limited Use and increase the Affliction level to something akin to 10, raising the price to a very, very large number...

It sounds like it always kills you... It would probably be accurately modelled (not for this thread, of course) as an 18th level Affliction for instant-death purposes. I like the model though! I get so tired of just plain-ass damage.
Blackseasofinfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 01:38 AM   #678
Der Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreyu_Hibiki

As I said, never played FF... good thing I had a escape clause in my post ;)

Maybe the full blasted "Doink" might fit into the 100+ point thread...
Old 10-26-2006, 01:50 AM   #679
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by deladrien
PK Storm
Anyone care to come up with a PC storm?

:)
Old 10-26-2006, 10:06 AM   #680
deladrien

I followed the links by the term Munchkin in the sticky about abbreviations and so forth... Noticed that the second one was a post to this thread. (#216)

It's a nice ability, but.

Emanation is exclusive with ranged attack mods.

Isn't ROF a ranged attack mod?
deladrien is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurpsland, house rules, pdf, powers, sample powers