Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 07-31-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
JCD

Default Discussing Abomination

That hook was simply to get you into the discussion.

Has anyone looked over "Demon: The Fallen" by WW and have they found anything useful either in the prose or the mechanics of Celestials?

I just started reading it, and frankly, most of it seems fiction. Some interesting takes on the Rebellion though.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Discussing Abomination

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
Has anyone looked over "Demon: The Fallen" by WW and have they found anything useful either in the prose or the mechanics of Celestials?
Does Demon: The Fallen call demons and angels "Celestials"? Weird.

Quote:
I just started reading it, and frankly, most of it seems fiction.
It's a game. It's all fiction. Do you mean it's mostly vignettes with very little crunch or even much game-able fluff? Isn't that basically a generic description of any White Wolf game?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Does Demon: The Fallen call demons and angels "Celestials"? Weird.
Yes, occasionally. But angels (thus far) aren't discussed much.

Quote:
It's a game. It's all fiction. Do you mean it's mostly vignettes with very little crunch or even much game-able fluff? Isn't that basically a generic description of any White Wolf game?
There are degrees. This seems worse then most.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
Adamant Azoth

As one who has studied the White Wolf Demon:The Fallen and also the Player's Guide extensively (groups to play this out-of-print and seriously orphaned game seem to be rather thin...go figure), I can confidently assure you that there are no angels in the game, at all.

In the world of D:TF, God was serious about angels not interfering with the development of the world, that is, in a Canon game, after the end of the Rebellion, all unfallen angels went back to Heaven, and the door was sealed. No one has seen or heard from that quarter since.

The Fallen, on the other hand, were offered the choice of complete destruction (and forgiveness) or were rounded up and cast into the Void for several thousand years; the few that remained Earthbound have grown into horrible monstrosities, and are therefore NPC Antagonists. Recently, small cracks have formed in the walls of the Void; Players are escaped (or released) Fallen who, due to thier merging with the soul of a dying or suicidally despairing human, have redescovered thier impulse toward angel-hood, while the enemy (of this game, at least, though others, such as from Vampire: The Masquerade, or Wraith: The Oblivion, could easily wander in) are the Fallen who have not rekindled their desire for forgiveness. In typicial pre-reboot WW fashion, there is no actual in-game mechanism for God accepting your repentance, even if you should reach a level of saintly angelic-ness....

At least half of the book of D:TF is flavour text and history, and it certainly is a different feel -- I can see how bringing some small amount of that into the Rebellion might change the feel of an In Nomine game, though it would be a tricky thing.

Speaking to your other question, though, the D:TF Player's Guide does have a long and complicated method for constructing your Apocalyptic (supernatural/fallen angelic) Form which allows you to customize your powers based upon a more fine-grained character concept than the basic system allows. However, that seems to me to be adequately addressed in the GURPS version of In Nomine, with its allowance for customization.
Adamant Azoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:20 AM   #5
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamant Azoth View Post
The Fallen, on the other hand, were offered the choice of complete destruction (and forgiveness) or were rounded up and cast into the Void for several thousand years; the few that remained Earthbound have grown into horrible monstrosities, and are therefore NPC Antagonists. Recently, small cracks have formed in the walls of the Void; Players are escaped (or released) Fallen who, due to thier merging with the soul of a dying or suicidally despairing human, have redescovered thier impulse toward angel-hood, while the enemy (of this game, at least, though others, such as from Vampire: The Masquerade, or Wraith: The Oblivion, could easily wander in) are the Fallen who have not rekindled their desire for forgiveness. In typicial pre-reboot WW fashion, there is no actual in-game mechanism for God accepting your repentance, even if you should reach a level of saintly angelic-ness....
Meh--as one who played WW for many years, it sounds like they've simply plugged celestial mythos into their timeworn formula. Makes me wonder what mechanic/concept they used to Keep the Big Secret from the World.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:30 AM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
Meh--as one who played WW for many years, it sounds like they've simply plugged celestial mythos into their timeworn formula. Makes me wonder what mechanic/concept they used to Keep the Big Secret from the World.
There is that old joke about the rarest of all White Wolf creatures; the mundane human that lacks any powers, heritage, or magic at all.

The last one was seen somewhere in Canada.

Even attempting to deal with the elephant in the room of impossible secrets makes it more obvious and silly, in my opinion.
It's best to leave it alone and ignore it for genre purposes.

Tags
pop culture