Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin Collectible Card Game

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2018, 04:23 AM   #1
kwirl
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Default Playmat Suggestion

I've designed my own playmat for this game, which makes it much easier for us to play - but I had a couple of suggestions. First - I would love little Munchkin miniatures with life counter dials built into the base.

Second - Those chits suck, I would pay for improved or possible metal variations of them.

Playmat Draft 1
Updated Single version, Traditional Playmat Size

Last edited by kwirl; 03-13-2018 at 09:17 AM.
kwirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:35 AM   #2
PJ3
 
PJ3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Default Re: Playmat Suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwirl View Post
I've designed my own playmat for this game, which makes it much easier for us to play - but I had a couple of suggestions. First - I would love little Munchkin miniatures with life counter dials built into the base.

Second - Those chits suck, I would pay for improved or possible metal variations of them.
There was a pewter Munchkin level counter years ago that was like you describe (level 1-10 on one side, 11-20 on the other). Problem was Spyke didn't balance well when you turned him.

And while I don't have an issue withe the chipboard chits, I would like a set of counters/level counter/run away token (die optional) as a separate product so I can have a set for every deck rather than tying a set to two decks (yes, I know I can split the counters between two decks, but it's the principle! Plus I'm building decks from the Hero cards I find in the boosters)
__________________
John Moore

"Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?"
PJ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:53 AM   #3
Owzat1982
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Default Re: Playmat Suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ3 View Post
And while I don't have an issue withe the chipboard chits, I would like a set of counters/level counter/run away token (die optional) as a separate product so I can have a set for every deck rather than tying a set to two decks (yes, I know I can split the counters between two decks, but it's the principle! Plus I'm building decks from the Hero cards I find in the boosters)
From the comments I have seen SJ Games were trying to keep the costs down as much as possible for the starter sets. But I think not producing separate Gold and HP counters was a mistake.

It would be nice if down the line somewhere there was a set of counters/level counter/run away token that was available.

I'm looking at getting some cheap Tiddlywink style plastic counters. One colour for each Character to use as HP and then some Gold ones for coins. about $3 for a 100 tokens on Ebay.
Owzat1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:55 AM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor
 
Andrew Hackard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Default Re: Playmat Suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owzat1982 View Post
But I think not producing separate Gold and HP counters was a mistake.
It was an affirmative design decision to have a single style of tokens. It wasn't done for cost reasons.
__________________
Andrew Hackard || Munchkin Line Editor, Steve Jackson Games

Twitter: @SJGames || Facebook: SJ Games and Munchkin || Medium: @SJGames
Instagram: @stevejacksongames || YouTube: Steve Jackson Games

New Munchkin player? Visit our Munchkin 101 forum!
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:00 PM   #5
Cloewe
 
Cloewe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Germany
Default Re: Playmat Suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owzat1982 View Post
From the comments I have seen SJ Games were trying to keep the costs down as much as possible for the starter sets. But I think not producing separate Gold and HP counters was a mistake.

It would be nice if down the line somewhere there was a set of counters/level counter/run away token that was available.

I'm looking at getting some cheap Tiddlywink style plastic counters. One colour for each Character to use as HP and then some Gold ones for coins. about $3 for a 100 tokens on Ebay.
The life/death tokens from Munchkin Quest are a good alternative if you´re looking for different tokens.
__________________
www.facebook.com/munchkinpromos
--> Check out everything about bookmarks and promos!
Cloewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:20 AM   #6
kwirl
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Default Re: Playmat Suggestion

I updated after some playtesting - added instruction text and level spaces, made the mat single player and sized for standard printing
kwirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:17 PM   #7
Bithlord
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Default Re: Playmat Suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
It was an affirmative design decision to have a single style of tokens. It wasn't done for cost reasons.
This is apparent from the fact that they come pre-punched and in a sealed baggie.
Bithlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:46 AM   #8
Owzat1982
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Default Re: Playmat Suggestion

The only reason I said it was because on the sleeves and boxes post it was said colour coding counters would be more expensive. So I assumed this was the reason.
Owzat1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.