Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2020, 06:53 AM   #1
horowits
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Default Glass chits made from tile

I found some 12 x 12 tiles at a job site the other day that were made up of individual 1" square clear glass tiles with a white layer of paint on back. I also had a dry erase marker. The logical thing to do was turn them into chits for... whatever I want! Here is a picture from my fledgling blog. It should be fairly easy to find a similar sheet of tile if you want your own. Cheers!
horowits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 06:15 PM   #2
Shostak
 
Shostak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: New England
Default Re: Glass chits made from tile

Those certainly work. Do you find the marker smudges easily with handling?
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:39 AM   #3
horowits
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Default Re: Glass chits made from tile

The dry erase does smudge easily. Wet erase would probably be a better marker for the task. They are also quite easy to pick up on the edges.
horowits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:10 AM   #4
kjamma4
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Chicagoland Area, Illinois
Default Re: Glass chits made from tile

Since they are glass, you might be able to use a Sharpie and then clean them with nail polish remover.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 12:32 PM   #5
horowits
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Default Re: Glass chits made from tile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
Since they are glass, you might be able to use a Sharpie and then clean them with nail polish remover.
That's a good idea, thanks.
horowits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:44 PM   #6
KevinJ
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Arizona
Default Re: Glass chits made from tile

Those do look nifty. You could also draw things on the back and then apply paint over the drawing to make them 'permanent'. Do you know where they were purchased?
__________________
So you've got the tiger by the tail. Now what?
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:08 PM   #7
oldwolf
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Default Re: Glass chits made from tile

I bet a "grease" pencil would work great on them and not smudge easily, while still being able to be rubbed off cleanly.
oldwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:25 PM   #8
Anaraxes
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Default Re: Glass chits made from tile

Nice find.

1x1" glass mosaic tiles are a pretty common item for building decor, and can be pretty cheap (pennies per tile, usually in 12x12 sheets, so 144 tiles for a few dollars). You can get them in all sorts of colors or patterns, too. Match the theme or setting for your game, color-code the good guys and bad guys, and so on.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:04 AM   #9
horowits
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Default Re: Glass chits made from tile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
Those do look nifty. You could also draw things on the back and then apply paint over the drawing to make them 'permanent'. Do you know where they were purchased?
Thank you. Mine were painted white on the bottom already but that would be a killer idea otherwise. I am not sure where they were purchased. A lot of my gaming bits are pieces of trash tile and whatnot from construction sites I work at and this happend to be a lone 12x12 sheet going into the trash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwolf View Post
I bet a "grease" pencil would work great on them and not smudge easily, while still being able to be rubbed off cleanly.
That is a good idea too. I tried using a very fine sharpie as suggested above and it worked really well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Nice find.

1x1" glass mosaic tiles are a pretty common item for building decor, and can be pretty cheap (pennies per tile, usually in 12x12 sheets, so 144 tiles for a few dollars). You can get them in all sorts of colors or patterns, too. Match the theme or setting for your game, color-code the good guys and bad guys, and so on.
Thanks! They come in many varieties indeed. I have some textured translucent blue ones that I use for water. I also have some megahexes I got out of some sheets of 1" hexagon tile.
horowits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:20 AM   #10
noahenholm
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Default Re: Glass chits made from tile

Quote:
Originally Posted by horowits View Post
I found some 12 x 12 tiles at a job site the other day that were made up of individual 1" square clear glass tiles with a white layer of paint on back. I also had a dry erase marker. The logical thing to do was turn them into chits for... whatever I want! Here is a picture from my fledgling blog. It should be fairly easy to find a similar sheet of tile if you want your own. Cheers!
WHAT'S BAND OF dry erase marker did U use

Last edited by noahenholm; Today at 08:46 AM.
noahenholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.