Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-24-2018, 11:38 PM   #11
JLV

Default Re: the most grotesque death...

Yikes. I think I would have stabbed that character myself, had I been a member of your group! ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:40 AM   #12
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
...drowning the party in a boat load of semen. :0
Seamen. One hopes. : )

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:50 AM   #13
Blood Legend

My brother Syhkane stabbed a king to death in front of his whole court then cast prepare game on the corpse.

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:32 AM   #14
ecz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
There are a few candidates, but... there was a PC who got a bit obsessive about looting opponents. After finding that one of them had hidden something in a boot, he became more and more methodical in looting bodies. At its worst, I remember a bar fight where the slain opponent wasn't carrying very much of value, and the player asked me (the GM) if that was really all he had, and I would only say that that was all he found... and even though I wasn't intentionally leading him on, the player proceeded to strip the dead foe naked and then disembowel (and mince, IIRC) the body looking for loot he might have swallowed... and this was still inside the tavern (well, it was Skarg's, which became a special sort of tavern/arena in our campaign, with two halls in case one became ususable for a while due to unusually excessive mayhem, and its own steadily-growing graveyard).
this PC remembers me when our GM decided to intensively use the conceal spell to hide magical objects on Villains.

Thus our party simply started to cut ears and fingers of dead enemies to better examine them in a second time - after the battle - in search of magically concealed items like rings and earrings finely hidden.
When we discovered one hidden ring under a tongue we started to remove also teeth and tongues.

BTW we used this good idea for our own magical objects usually in secret (no other member of the party was informed).

The result was that when one of us was killed, one or more former companions "secured" the corpse not in sight of a worthy burial, but to search and remove these valuable items later. Often only the dead PC and the GM knew the details of the items (if any was hidden), so we had to dismember all the body.

One girl in our group was so upset and disturbed of this behavior, that she left the game and the play.

Last edited by ecz; 05-26-2018 at 08:35 AM.
ecz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:40 PM   #15
JLV

Sadly, that last part seems to defeat the purpose of RPGs. Odds are, that girl never played again, in any form. And that's too bad.

Generally I strive to maintain a more welcoming or inclusive atmosphere, and if someone is genuinely upset about something, we talk it over and try to negotiate a solution. Of course, when we were in our teens, we were a bit less concerned about that sort of thing, until a similar situation cropped up in one of our games in about 1981 or so (different RPG) and we realized that we were being the ultimate murder hobos instead of being the "heroes" of our RPG. At that point our play style ... um ... "matured" a bit, I guess. ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 03:48 PM   #16
Jim Kane
Banned

The "Most Grotesque Death" in TFT I know of, was the slow, withering death of TFT itself... beginning with the exodus of SJ, the Martian Metals fire, the painful decline into the "Games Research Group" and "Interplay" final offerings, and the horrific visual evaporation of the TFT product presence from the game store shelves , and then, the final death-rattle and whimpers as Metagaming closed up shop.

THAT was "Grotesque".

JK

Last edited by Jim Kane; 05-26-2018 at 04:07 PM. Reason: typo
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 06:05 PM   #17
ecz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Sadly, that last part seems to defeat the purpose of RPGs. Odds are, that girl never played again, in any form. And that's too bad.
We were young and this happened in the "hard" phase of our TFT experience, when we were all half addicted, playing even eight hours/day cancelling any schedule to have our daily session. Luckily it did not last long. We soon had a better and mature style.

Last edited by ecz; 05-26-2018 at 06:09 PM.
ecz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:18 PM   #18
Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
Seamen. One hopes. : )
No, that was the point! A little GM verbal trickery...
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:21 PM   #19
Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
The "Most Grotesque Death" in TFT I know of, was the slow, withering death of TFT itself... beginning with the exodus of SJ, the Martian Metals fire, the painful decline into the "Games Research Group" and "Interplay" final offerings, and the horrific visual evaporation of the TFT product presence from the game store shelves , and then, the final death-rattle and whimpers as Metagaming closed up shop.

THAT was "Grotesque".

JK
Here, here, Jim! Lovers of this game all felt the loss like the death of a close friend.

When I can open up a new, well-designed, clever, intriguing, and enjoyable Death Test III written by SJ that embodies the style of the first two, then, for me, TFT will have been resurrected. Until then, only fairy floss in the mouth...
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:52 AM   #20
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Why am I hoping you still have a copy of that dungeon you can provide to Steve at some point? ;-)
I did a greatly updated version of the concept for GURPS and published it in Pyramid a few years ago.

I do still have the original - I think I mentioned what was in it in another thread. But I was, like, 13 years old at the time, so there's nothing really amazing about it. Well, except possibly my 13-year-old efforts at drawing colored pen pictures of one of the monsters, which still amaze me for sheer awfulness...