Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 03-17-2016, 05:07 PM   #21
wolf90

Default Re: Munchkin Collectible Card game?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Griffin View Post
Yes, I know, it's free. In the words of Joe Walsh, "I can't complain, but sometimes I still do."
Although I understand your premise (which you freely admit), look at it as a window into games you may not have considered trying. Not every freebie will elicit a curiosity query, but if even one out of ten do, it's a win for the company. Plus as you've already shown a propensity to trade, consider them "throw ins" to some other deal that may either A) sweeten the pot for the other side, and/or B) further reinforce the good will you've established during the trade, increasing the likelihood of beneficial trades in the future.

It cost you nothing to receive; it costs you nothing to give.

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:37 PM   #22
ThisisDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
Not every freebie will elicit a curiosity query, but if even one out of ten do, it's a win for the company.
But not always for the consumer. I've bought both Cthulhu Dice and Chez Geek off the back of Promo items from W23, and let's just say neither have lit game nights on fire (not a slight on SJG, Munchkin is a firm favourite among all our groups and Zombie Dice has been fun and a picture of my 12 brains round is on our game room wall of fame). I do plan on getting Bill & Ted, and my wife loves Simon's Cat, so if anyone gets any unwanted promo items for those, you know, hint hint...

Back on track, the more I think about this the more I think it's a good idea, although I still doubt I'll be involved. I think the game is probably aimed more at new audiences, and less at us, and bringing the MTG/Yugioh crowd into the Munchkin world can only be good for the company. Also, the focus on content for this will hopefully make the release schedule for the non-collectable game a little more sparse, which can only be good news for my wallet...
Old 03-17-2016, 09:04 PM   #23
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Massive multi-reply here. As a general note, I'd just like to say that I'm pleased by the reaction so far; even the folks here who are less than excited by the game are being positive about the news, and I appreciate it. Some places have been less . . . optimistic.

I also want to mention the very hard work Darryll Silva and Devin Lewis have been putting in on this game. Ich spreche kein CCG, so having two experienced CCG guys spearheading the internal development of the game has put my mind very much at ease. When this game succeeds, they will deserve a great deal of the credit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
That surprises me, as I'd always thought that not doing that was a deliberate choice for Munchkin.
Not in the way you're thinking, no. Munchkin was originally designed as a standalone silly card game, following on the heels of Chez Geek (about which more later). When it came time to work on expansions, and especially the boosters, we decided not to go with a randomized model because it didn't really fit the game we had designed -- it's too easy to unbalance a Munchkin game if you aren't careful picking and choosing cards. I know; I've tried it.

So we made a deliberate decision to stay away from the randomized booster model, but the decision not to work on a CCG wasn't really a decision as much as that just wasn't the kind of game we wrote when we made Munchkin. Perhaps if we had recognized the juggernaut at its birth, we would have done things differently. Perhaps not; the current strategy has worked pretty well so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I might go for a starter set if you can actually play a good game just with that.
The starters are designed to be fun two-player games on their own. We're trying to make sure that each pair of decks has good interactions and leads to a fun game.

That said, it's going to be a BETTER game if you start dipping into the boosters; the other thing that is true of the starters is that they present only a subset of the card mechanics that have been worked out. Some of the booster cards are scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisisDog View Post
CCGs aren't my thing, especially with the cash I've sunk into building my standard Munchkin collection over the past year (fun fact, next friday marks one year since I was gifted my first Munchkin set, it seems like a lot longer ago). I'm going to reserve judgment until I see some of the cards and the rules.
Happy Munchkiversary!

We had a prototype set of the starters and rules at our retailer party in Las Vegas earlier this week. Even some of the more skeptical retailers came away from the game enthusiastic about it, and most of them were vocally pleased with how fun the game was, even apart from the Munchkin content. Eric and Kevin have really done some fun things with the CCG format in this game.

(And, again, these were the starter sets. We didn't cherry-pick cards to build fun decks; this is what will be in the first packages people see, modulo a bit more playtesting and polishing.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba1125 View Post
That is great to hear! I had a chance to talk briefly with Eric at GenCon last year and he seemed like he would be a wonderful person to work with, or even just sit and chat with.
He is, very much so. He also knows lots of great places to grab a bite in Toronto. I'm hoping to make Toronto one of my regular gaming travel destinations now, along with Indianapolis and Seattle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainChwelve View Post
On the one hand, this is very exciting! I love munchkin and am thrilled to see it expand and try new things. I'm confident that it's going to be a quality game.

On the other hand, I simply can't afford this. I've dabbled in collectible card games before, and if you want to play at any sort of competitive level, it will break the bank.
Let the record show that we are quite sure many fans will decide to stick with the normal (-ish) Munchkin game, and that's totally fine with us. This is a parallel game, not a replacement that's designed to choke regular Munchkin off the shelves. We figure some CCG players might hear about the new mechanics and give it a whirl, and some Munchkin players who are looking for a new type of game will try it out as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
And while I have no illusions that players of one type will automatically equate to players of another, getting more people interested in Munchkin of ANY variety is a good thing in my book. :)
Yep!

Quote:
But not always for the consumer. I've bought both Cthulhu Dice and Chez Geek off the back of Promo items from W23, and let's just say neither have lit game nights on fire
That's a real shame. Cthulhu Dice is a fun time-filler -- and a fantastic way to decide who gets to go first when you're playing a bigger game! -- and Chez Geek is one of my own favorites of the games we produce. Certainly not trying to talk you out of your opinions, just saying that you mentioned two of my own go-to games.

(On that note, if you haven't tried Castellan or the Mars Attacks games, you're missing out -- they're all very different from other games we've tried and they're all super fun. Each one can be played easily in under an hour.)

Quote:
Also, the focus on content for this will hopefully make the release schedule for the non-collectable game a little more sparse, which can only be good news for my wallet...
<Andrew looks at his deadline schedule, weeps a single tear of blood, goes back to the pun mines>

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23

Last edited by Andrew Hackard; 03-19-2016 at 11:23 PM.
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:38 AM   #24
Argendauss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
I'd just like to say that I'm pleased by the reaction so far; even the folks here who are less than excited by the game are being positive about the news, and I appreciate it. Some places have been less . . . optimistic.
I don't know I'd you're talking about this in particular, but I had to chuckle at the Chicken Little-esque sentiments from that one guy on the Munchkin Promo facebook page. CCGs are definitely not my thing, so there's that, but the franchise is too modular to be all ruined or whatever from a few offerings that are less relevant to my interests.
Argendauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:57 AM   #25
Mister Ed

My biggest problem with CCGs, really, is not JUST the expense, but how little you often GET for that expense. After the first few packs, it seems like you are left getting packs full of cards you literally cannot use with one or two cards you MIGHT use (though sometimes using those cards requires you to have multiple copies, or OTHER cards that are hard to come by). I have yet to encounter a CCG where the game is designed such that the cards you get more of are ones you can actually use more of, and the cards you get few of can be effectively used without multiple copies (though I haven't tried them all by any means). It has felt somewhat ludicrous in the past when I could buy an entire BOX of booster packs and still not have the cards to make a really good deck.

I've sometimes considered getting into an LCG, because even though the expense is still there at least you are (purportedly, as I can't speak from personal experience) getting a reasonable mix of cards for that expense, and you KNOW what you are getting. But ultimately the expense still was enough to make me gunshy, absent an ability to try the game out cheap (or free). At least with a Munchkin game, be it CCG or otherwise, thanks to the MIBs I know I'll get to try before I buy, as much as I want! Yay MIBs! Whatever my feelings about buying into a CCG, you can be SURE I'll be trying it out if the local MIB has it on offer.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:12 AM   #26
Damon Griffin

Quote:
look at it as a window into games you may not have considered trying. Not every freebie will elicit a curiosity query, but if even one out of ten do, it's a win for the company.
I do see it that way from the company's point of view, and it's not only a sound strategy, it's very customer-friendly. (There may be other companies who give away stuff with orders -- I personally don't know of any -- but who let you ask for specific freebies? That's just above and beyond.)

It's unfortunate that in my case, outside of Munchkin proper, everything I've received as a freebie is either something I already had (I own Ninja Burger: Sumo Size Me, so I didn't need multiple additional Oil Rig mission cards) or something I've already decided I'm not interested in. SJGames order fulfillment staff have no way of knowing this, so zero blame to them or anyone at the company.

Quote:
Plus as you've already shown a propensity to trade, consider them "throw ins" to some other deal that may either A) sweeten the pot for the other side, and/or B) further reinforce the good will you've established during the trade, increasing the likelihood of beneficial trades in the future.
The trade I mentioned is I think one of a total of two I've made. I came to the promos very late in the game, in part because my FLGS is so good about stocking Munchkin products I didn't need to order from W23. Most of the promos I'm missing are long out of print, and everything I have to offer, pretty much everyone else already has. Meantime, small purchases of specific promos from W23 have netted me 7 copies each of Tame and Curse! Unjustly Accused, etc.

Back on topic...

My own crack-addict response to INWO twenty years ago will keep me from starting down that path ever again. And any Munchkin CCG promos I might get from W23 are probably going to sit, unused and untraded, in a little Ziploc bag indefinitely. But I think a Munchkin CCG will probably do very well, and I don't think it will have the slightest negative impact on the current game.
Damon Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:18 AM   #27
ThisisDog

Quote:
<Andrew looks at his deadline schedule, weeps a single tear of blood, goes back to the pun mines>
Yeah, I've just noticed Munchkin Shakespeare and Moop's Monster Mashup.

<TiD opens his wallet, sighs, and sells a kidney>
Old 03-18-2016, 10:34 AM   #28
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Yeah, I've just noticed Munchkin Shakespeare and Moop's Monster Mashup.
If it helps, Shakespeare isn't on the schedule yet. We're working on it but we haven't even completely decided what its final form will be. Right now, we have a solid 112-card standalone game, but it's very possible we may expand it.

Moop's is already at print and will be out this summer. It's delightfully silly and I'm really looking forward to fan reaction. I should mention that it's a very short print run and a second printing isn't planned for this year, so y'all may want to move sooner rather than later if you want the game.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:22 AM   #29
offsides

Can I just say that the concept of Munchkin Shakespeare makes me very excited, as I know a number of people who might well get into that even if they aren't into Munchkin in general.

And now I really need to get some more storage tubs for all my Munchkin supplies...
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:49 PM   #30
ThisisDog

Quote:
If it helps, Shakespeare isn't on the schedule yet. We're working on it but we haven't even completely decided what its final form will be. Right now, we have a solid 112-card standalone game, but it's very possible we may expand it.

Moop's is already at print and will be out this summer. It's delightfully silly and I'm really looking forward to fan reaction. I should mention that it's a very short print run and a second printing isn't planned for this year, so y'all may want to move sooner rather than later if you want the game.
Oh I wasn't particularly complaining about the release schedule, and I'm more than happy to buy whatever you guys throw at me Munchkin-wise. It's more a comment on my own addictive personality and need to own all the cards (again, why I'm not going to buy into the CCG).

I'm very intrigued about Moop's. It looks to be another Munchkin set... but what's with the name? Why isn't it Munchkin: Moop's Monster Mashup, like previous games in the series?

What I've seen of it looks really fun. Can't wait to take my Beaver Cleaver to the neck of an Owligator.