Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 12-04-2018, 08:30 AM   #121
Shadekeep

Default Re: TFT Map Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
I can't find a "hex-slider". Do you mean the zoom slider? Thanks in advance.
I missed out a word, meant to type "hex size slider". Yes, same gadget.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:37 AM   #122
guymc

This tool is amazingly good. I am surprised how usable a “random” map really is right off the bat with no tweaking. I’m planning to use this to generate some maps for actual play, using nothing but the initial settings and seeing what I get.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:21 AM   #123
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymc View Post
This tool is amazingly good. I am surprised how usable a “random” map really is right off the bat with no tweaking. I’m planning to use this to generate some maps for actual play, using nothing but the initial settings and seeing what I get.
Glad you like! Though I confess that the Path code can generate some pretty wonky roads. ^_^

Hope your play sessions with the maps go well!
Old 12-07-2018, 07:55 AM   #124
Shadekeep

One further change I've made is I replaced the pink Material colour with another shade of grey. This allows the Monochrome maps to have more subtle contrasts, and makes elements like Paths stand out better.

I think I'm almost to the release stage on this, just a couple tweaks I want to see if I can squeeze in based on recent feedback.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:42 PM   #125
hcobb

Has anybody used this tool to expand the mountain map hexes between Bordre and Newdelve into megahexes for the next map level down? (Mountain travel is slow.)
Old 12-10-2018, 10:32 AM   #126
Shadekeep

Got the last couple of planned updates finished. They are:

Save Image Size: Now when you click Save Image, you'll get a slider that allows you to choose from a range of image sizes. The selected size is shown in pixels as width x height. Expect a slight delay when saving very large images sizes, as the application has to allocate a large graphic space to generate those in.

Annotations: You can now add characters to the map in any of the material colours with the new Annotation layer. The first blank character is the annotation eraser tool. Characters are automatically centered in their hex.

Let me know if you experience any issues with these changes, or if there are further characters you'd like to see added to the Annotation palette. Otherwise I'll be kicking off the 1.0 official website release and standalone version in short order. Thanks!
Old 02-02-2019, 08:47 PM   #127
DeDiceManCometh

Fantastic app! One request (oh, you're gonna hate me...) Can you enhance the Megahexes function to allow for "Square Megahexes"?? (Terrible name, but that's what it has been dubbed.)

It would really be useful for interior maps with right angles. I know the "partial hex" fills can create right angles and such, but when you do that the thick megahex borders end up all wonky.

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2019, 12:22 PM   #128
JohnPaulB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
And one more tweak - the new Random Map can be in Colour or black-and-white print-friendly Monochrome.
The Random Map is way cool.

Any chance of getting Rivers added to it?

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:45 AM   #129
Shadekeep

Sorry for the late replies, been busy on some other TFT projects. Still working on the website and the official debut of this tool in all its forms, but want to have a few other things ready at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDiceManCometh View Post
Fantastic app! One request (oh, you're gonna hate me...) Can you enhance the Megahexes function to allow for "Square Megahexes"?? (Terrible name, but that's what it has been dubbed.)

It would really be useful for interior maps with right angles. I know the "partial hex" fills can create right angles and such, but when you do that the thick megahex borders end up all wonky.

Thanks!
First I've heard of these, but should be doable. I assume the tessellation shown in the linked image is the standard way these are used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulB View Post
The Random Map is way cool.

Any chance of getting Rivers added to it?
Thanks! I could add those with the same underlying logic as the roads, and may try to originate them at bodies of water. Using the road code means some wonky looking rivers will inevitably result, but hey, a different map is always just a click away. ^_^
Old 02-08-2019, 10:10 AM   #130
Skarg

I just wanted to mention that I recently tried using this tool to create a forest map for TFT combat, using brown circle features for tree trunks, the forest for bushes, the circles for rocks, etc. It let me make a large map for an outdoor encounter quite quickly.

I didn't use the megahex feature for the play map because it was so heavy it overshadowed the terrain. So I would request an option to make megahex lines & center dots lighter / thinner.

Also good would be an option to click on the map and have it spread a blob of the selected terrain from that point outwards - keep clicking and the blob spreads more. A setting for how many hexes to spread per click. This would let you draw maps where the human oversees where stuff is, but the randomizer provides a lot of the clicking work and "random inspiration".
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote