Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-08-2010, 07:15 AM   #1
Darth_Bane

Default Bruce Lee

How many point character do you think Bruce lee would be?
Old 04-08-2010, 07:33 AM   #2
jacobmuller

Default Re: Bruce Lee

Seals in Vietnam puts the case for 300pt RL characters, so why not Bruce. Perhaps the same would hold true for any legendary athlete.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:35 AM   #3
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Lots? At the apex of his career, he had good ST and DX, Reputation, probably Charisma and some extra Strong Will, at least a bit of Wealth, at least one extra language and a CF, possibly valuable Contacts in the film industry, high skill in Judo and Karate with a stack of perks and techniques (see Martial Arts p. 164 for Jeet Kune Do), good Performance skill, and probably a bit of Teaching skill as well. For disads, you're looking at Dependents, a limited Social Stigma and, legend has it, Enemies.

ETA: Oh, and at least a level or two of Appearance. Good looking guy.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!

Last edited by Turhan's Bey Company; 04-08-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:50 AM   #4
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
Lots? At the apex of his career, he had good ST and DX, Reputation, probably Charisma and some extra Strong Will, at least a bit of Wealth, at least one extra language and a CF, possibly valuable Contacts in the film industry, high skill in Judo and Karate with a stack of perks and techniques (see Martial Arts p. 164 for Jeet Kune Do), good Performance skill, and probably a bit of Teaching skill as well. For disads, you're looking at Dependents, a limited Social Stigma and, legend has it, Enemies.
Yeah. Lee was on the far end of the human bell curve. Check out his screen test for the Green Hornet: http://www.noob.us/entertainment/bru...-green-hornet/ This dude is FAST. Look at his balance as he demonstrates the "walk for the warrior" from Classical Chinese Opera. The speed and accuracy of his strikes. He's so quick that his poor partner only reacts once Lee's back to "normal."
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:12 AM   #5
aesir23

I agree, definitely in the 300 point range. His dedication to perfecting his body and mastering the fighting arts makes him the closest thing the real world's ever seen to Bruce Wayne.

I built an Infinite Worlds version of Bruce for a campaign of mine, he was born in a Hong Kong ghetto ruled by Japan in an Axis Victorious parallel. Even without the wealth and reputation he earned on homeline I think he came out around 250-350 as a poor freedom fighter. I don't think I exaggerated his RW abilities very much either.

If anyone's interested I'll post him when I get home from work... 7 hours from now, :-(
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
aesir23

Quote:
Lots? At the apex of his career, he had good ST and DX, Reputation, probably Charisma and some extra Strong Will, at least a bit of Wealth, at least one extra language and a CF, possibly valuable Contacts in the film industry, high skill in Judo and Karate with a stack of perks and techniques (see Martial Arts p. 164 for Jeet Kune Do), good Performance skill, and probably a bit of Teaching skill as well.
Don't forget, dude was also a champion cha cha dancer.

And how much is Kareem Abdul Jabbar worth as an Ally? Or Chuck Norris?

Kareem Abdul Jabbar would be a great PC too, a 7'2" world class athlete, trained in Jeet Kune Do by Bruce Lee himself. :-)

If I ever get to play in a high point total game set in LA in the 70's I know who I'm going to play.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:31 AM   #7
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
Don't forget, dude was also a champion cha cha dancer.
Yes! Dancing skill! Granted, his high DX probably means he didn't have to sink a lot of points into it in order to get a level high enough to win a civic amateur dancing championship, but still...

Quote:
And how much is Kareem Abdul Jabbar worth as an Ally? Or Chuck Norris?
I was about to point out that "worked with for a while" != Ally, but I suppose that if Bruce Lee were going to go off on doing something we'd recognize as adventuring, it's not impossible that he could have gotten Jabar and Norris to go with him.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:47 AM   #8
aesir23

Quote:
I was about to point out that "worked with for a while" != Ally,
That argument makes sense for Norris, but Jabbar was a long time friend and student, IIRC.

Other badasses of the time, like Bob Wall, Danny Inosanto, and possibly Wally Jay (inventor of Small Circle Jujitsu) would possibly be full on Allies, too (with perhaps limited frequency of appearance), as well as several of the not-so-tough-but-rich-and-famous film star students he had when his school was en vogue.

Actually, come to think of it, you could make a whole party of high point martial artists in Bruce Lee's circle of friends.

Bruce Lee is the Hero, Bob Wall is the Lancer, Wally Jay is the Smart Guy, Kareem is the Big Guy, and a young, unknown stunt man by the name of Jackie Chan is the Comic Relief.

Together, they fight crime.

[EDIT] I apologize for overusing the hyperlink function. I just got really excited about this idea. Perhaps I'll make these characters up, and run a one shot in which they're kidnapped by time travelers or something.

Last edited by aesir23; 04-08-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:56 AM   #9
gmillerd

I thought Bruce Lee was in a Who's Who or Martial Arts, but I cannot find him.

Though those characters are built much much differently than the normal player does.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:59 AM   #10
Nymdok

Quote:
Bruce Lee is the Hero, Bob Wall is the Lancer, Wally Jay is the Smart Guy, Kareem is the Big Guy, and a young, unknown stunt man by the name of Jackie Chan is the Comic Relief.

Together, they fight crime.

[EDIT] I apologize for overusing the hyperlink function. I just got really excited about this idea. Perhaps I'll make these characters up, and run a one shot in which they're kidnapped by time travelers or something.
No mention of Steve McQueen!?!?! What manner of heresy by ommision is this!?!?

Edit: A steve McQeen Quick refresher course.

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
martial arts, npc