Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-20-2019, 06:52 PM   #1
Coinage

Default Treat Power or Magic like Glamour

I was wondering if there was a way to give someone the advantage to treat any Power or Magic they witness as a kind of Glamour or Illusion. The goal I am going for is a kind of Super-Sceptic who treats all magic as a kind of Illusion, one that can be dispelled through a Will-Check or something similar.

I understand that this is somewhat similar to the Mundanity advantage in GURPS IOU. I was wondering if there was another way to model it.
Coinage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:09 PM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: Treat Power or Magic like Glamour

It sounds like a Cosmic variant of Neutralize or Static.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:35 PM   #3
Culture20

Might be fun to require a performance (stage magic) or an IQ based sleight of hand roll as the resistance roll. “He used some flash paper and had an alcohol sprayer attached to his wrist. The ‘fireball’ didn’t burn hot enough to hurt anyone. See? you’re totally fine.”
“mirrors”
“magnets”
“identical triplets”
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:28 PM   #4
Coinage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
Might be fun to require a performance (stage magic) or an IQ based sleight of hand roll as the resistance roll. “He used some flash paper and had an alcohol sprayer attached to his wrist. The ‘fireball’ didn’t burn hot enough to hurt anyone. See? you’re totally fine.”
“mirrors”
“magnets”
“identical triplets”
I wonder how that would look like when statted out.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:56 AM   #5
Bicorn

Static(magic) with Area Effect, Switchable and some kind of roll to activate, I'd say.
Bicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:58 AM   #6
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
“He used some flash paper and had an alcohol sprayer attached to his wrist. The ‘fireball’ didn’t burn hot enough to hurt anyone. See? you’re totally fine.”
“mirrors”
“magnets”
“identical triplets”
There's an old movie, "F/X" (and a sequel) which involves a movie special-effects expert as the action hero defeating the bad guys by fooling them. Practical effects could be used by the anti-mage as an alternative "explanation" for the neutralized magic, along with stage magic techniques.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:12 PM   #7
Coinage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicorn View Post
Static(magic) with Area Effect, Switchable and some kind of roll to activate, I'd say.
Interesting.

Just FYI, the idea is that the person treats all magic, or supernatural/exotic powers, as "psychogenic".

I wonder, is there some Limitation or Enhancement that says "requires a successful Sleight of Hand roll" or "requires a successful Observation roll", or something other skill check? Just curious.

Last edited by Coinage; 02-21-2019 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:28 PM   #8
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinage View Post
I wonder, is there some Limitation or Enhancement that says "requires a successful Sleight of Hand roll" or "requires a successful Observation roll", or something other skill check? Just curious.
"Requires (Attr) Roll" is Powers p112. (And yes, those parens are literal, not standing in for ST/DX/IQ/HT, important if you're searching.) You can substitute a Hard skill roll instead, for the same value (-10%). I don't think there's a canonical value for using Easy, Average, or VH skills.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:58 PM   #9
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
"Requires (Attr) Roll" is Powers p112. (And yes, those parens are literal, not standing in for ST/DX/IQ/HT, important if you're searching.) You can substitute a Hard skill roll instead, for the same value (-10%). I don't think there's a canonical value for using Easy, Average, or VH skills.
There's a simple answer though. Task difficulty modifiers. If you're using an Easy Skill then any use of it to control powers could be at a -2 to bring it even with Hard Skills.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote