Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-29-2016, 12:16 AM   #31
Gollum

Default Re: Martial Arts: Polearm/Quarterstaff/Weapon Adaptation

OK for the house rule.

But the description of the naginata really sounds strange...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naginata

Having said that, I have to admit that I never trained to use a naginata (and didn't see how it is handled).
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:33 AM   #32
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
OK for the house rule.

But the description of the naginata really sounds strange...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naginata

Having said that, I have to admit that I never trained to use a naginata (and didn't see how it is handled).
The Naginata is +0U when used used as a swung weapon due to length, however used a Reach 2 thrusting weapon it is only +0
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 03:41 AM   #33
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
You know that Weapon Adaptation allows, say, wielding a weapon in Fencing mode even though the weapon doesn't have a 0F parry in its line, right?
When a benefit or drawback is part of the skill and not part of the weapon, then Weapon Adaptation grants the benefit by wielding a weapon with the chosen skill.
Yes but you can't double up on 0F you can double up on +2 so it's not an equal comparison.

Also there is no such thing as a fencing skill (unlike the staff skill) there are melee skills that include fencing weapons.

moreover weapon adaption is not what we're talking about here, we're talking weapons that appear under two skill listings. Which is is kind of inbuilt weapon adaption but with specific stats for each skill, and in general the specific trumps the general.

However we can test the point easily. Staff skill has several weapons with +2 in their listed parry characteristic, and some with 0 or 0U, do you add a blanket +2 to parry on top of all of them?

Last edited by Tomsdad; 01-30-2016 at 03:55 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 03:48 AM   #34
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
However we can test the point easily. Staff skill has several weapons with +2 in their listed parry characteristic, and some with 0 or 0U, do you add a a blanket +2 to parry on top of all of them?
We know the answer to this question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Any balanced weapon used with Staff skill gets +2 Parry. However, there is no such thing as "+2U" Parry, which is why the naginata is "0U."
Old 01-29-2016, 04:31 AM   #35
Tomsdad

Quote:
We know the answer to this question:
OK so to be clear you give every weapon listed under Staff skill a +2 to parry unless it has U in it's parry stat? So a quarter staff / long staff / Jo all parry at a total +4 at your table?

Also that Kromm quote is a bit odd because it infers* that the only reason staff weapons with 'U' aren't +2 is because they have the 'U'. So what about weapons listed under staff that are just 0?

*or I actually think you over inferring from it. I think his point is just about 'Unbalanced' and your broadening it out to all weapons.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 01-29-2016 at 04:35 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:43 AM   #36
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
OK so to be clear you give every weapon listed under Staff skill a +2 to parry unless it has U in it's parry stat? So a quarter staff / long staff / Jo all parry at a total +4 at your table?
Heck NO if there under the staff skill listing on the table then the effects of the staff skill is already refected in their parry stat.

just like when the Sai when listed under the Jitte/Sai skill [Martial arts p.227] is listed at "+0" but when the Sai is listed under the Main-Gauche skill [p.228] is listed as "+0F"

hence why the nagaita while listed under the staff skill isn't "+2U" but "+0U" because it an unbalanced weapon but can be used with the Staff skill to let use cr damage with it

Last edited by roguebfl; 01-29-2016 at 04:47 AM.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 05:33 AM   #37
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:

Also that Kromm quote is a bit odd because it infers* that the only reason staff weapons with 'U' aren't +2 is because they have the 'U'. So what about weapons listed under staff that are just 0?

*or I actually think you over inferring from it. I think his point is just about 'Unbalanced' and your broadening it out to all weapons.
I go that the principle that the general rule applies unless a specific one overrides it.
I.e. a weapon wielded with the Staff skill enjoys the benefits of the Staff skill unless stated otherwise. Such 'stated otherwise' cases can be weapons with a U-Parry, or weapons whose statline for Staff overrides the parry modifier.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:31 AM   #38
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Heck NO if there under the staff skill listing on the table then the effects of the staff skill is already refected in their parry stat.

just like when the Sai when listed under the Jitte/Sai skill [Martial arts p.227] is listed at "+0" but when the Sai is listed under the Main-Gauche skill [p.228] is listed as "+0F"

hence why the nagaita while listed under the staff skill isn't "+2U" but "+0U" because it an unbalanced weapon but can be used with the Staff skill to let use cr damage with it
Yep that's pretty much how I see it

Quote:
I go that the principle that the general rule applies unless a specific one overrides it.
I.e. a weapon wielded with the Staff skill enjoys the benefits of the Staff skill unless stated otherwise. Such 'stated otherwise' cases can be weapons with a U-Parry, or weapons whose statline for Staff overrides the parry modifier.
So you do have quarterstaffs / Jo etc with +4 to parry?
Old 01-29-2016, 08:37 AM   #39
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
Very differently than a staff. :P

Somewhat between the way Dueling Halberds and Long Spears are used (meaning in some modes of attack/defense a naginata is used like a heavier long spear and in some like a lighter halberd).
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:00 AM   #40
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
So you do have quarterstaffs / Jo etc with +4 to parry?
Why +4? You seem to be offering to apply the general and the specific example of the rule twice. Don't do it twice.

Tags
crunch, martial arts, raw, skills