Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-08-2017, 05:18 PM   #21
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Usefulness of Basic Set PDF's?

Having a physical book is good for I think two reasons:
  1. I'm a weirdo who actually reads RPG books cover-to-cover.
  2. Handing to players, since I don't have a tablet and PDFs on the kindle aren't optimal.

But otherwise I barely use them.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:43 PM   #22
Ulzgoroth

I find it easier to read a hardback book than a PDF on a Kindle screen, so they're somewhat useful if I'm wanting to read while on the move. Other than that edge case and lending, I only pull out the print books for things I don't have in PDF.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:47 PM   #23
dripton

I originally bought most of my GURPS 4E books in hardcover at Amazon, because discounted hardcovers were cheaper than full-price PDFs. But I was playing in a Internet GURPS game while travelling, and wanted the PDFs of Basic and Martial Arts for the portability. And it turned out that searchability was a huge bonus.

I'm too cheap to buy *all* my GURPS books twice though. Only the handful that I use the most.
dripton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:56 PM   #24
DannyBoy

Although I agree that PDF's are in most respects better, I think I'll go for print for technical reasons, namely that I have no good way to display a PDF. I have a phone, which is pretty good but has a tiny screen, a laptop which takes longer to load than it takes me to find the page I want from the index, and a tablet that splits the difference of small screen and awful load time. I also think it would be quite unpopular to relocate the game to my computer desk where I am now typing this on my desktop PC. :P

Also, I believe it would be more popular with my players if I did not bring a phone to the table, as I recently instituted a phone ban so we could concentrate better on the game.

I may buy the PDF's at a later date, perhaps if I somehow find myself in possession of a Microsoft Surface Pro or a decent laptop, but for now, I think print is my best option.
DannyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:54 PM   #25
Refplace

Enjoy! and good luck with your games
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:36 PM   #26
RyanW

I use a laptop at the game table, and it serves as both book and GM screen. It's a bit old now (originally came with Windows XP) but I use a lightweight Linux install on a small SSD, and it runs like a rabbit. I'm not going to be playing the lastest video games on it, but that isn't what it's there for.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:17 AM   #27
dbm

iPad Pro 12.9 for the win...

Approximately 90%+ of the physical area of a typical RPG hardback but less weight than most. The latest version has a screen so good you can read it outside under direct light, too.
dbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:00 AM   #28
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbm View Post
iPad Pro 12.9 for the win...

Approximately 90%+ of the physical area of a typical RPG hardback but less weight than most. The latest version has a screen so good you can read it outside under direct light, too.
Until it runs out of power...

Hehe sorry. But that has happened to me once or twice.
I, like RyanW use a laptop as a GM screen/reference tool. But when it, mid-session, suddenly runs out of power because you, like an idiot, forgot to charge it and didn't bring a cable... then it's less fun.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:42 AM   #29
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Do you have the Basic Set so well memorized that you can find everything you need to look up without a search function?
Yes, amazingly so.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:19 AM   #30
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

My bookshelf is next to my gaming table, so if we're gaming, the books come out even though one of my players frequently has his pdfs handy.

When I'm working on a character, I'm at my computer and use the pdfs.

I take hard copies with me to conventions, because I'm not going to pass my tablet around or let strangers use my laptop.

Both are useful to me. I also own a great deal of the books that are PDF only and have printed some of those.