Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-08-2017, 05:03 AM   #11
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Usefulness of Basic Set PDF's?

As was mentioned, SJGames doesn't sell a Book+PDF bundle. Just want to reinforce that point.

As for usefulness, it is amazingly valuable to have the primary reference book on the computer and text searchable. It makes it much easier to find the exact trait that is being referenced.

OTOH, real books are nice to have too, especially around the gaming table. You can generally page-flip through a book faster than you can a PDF.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 08-08-2017 at 05:26 AM.
ericbsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:23 AM   #12
jacobmuller

PDF is cheaper than hardcopy, easier to store and take anywhere.

I like a real book, if it's a novel that costs less than a fiver and I'm only going to read it once before I donate it to charity.

Reference books, and that's really what a rule book is, are exceedingly handy in digital form. I have my GURPS collection on my phone, the PC at work and my laptop. Anyplace, anytime, open the book I want, search for an article in the collection never mind just a single book.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:49 AM   #13
ULFGARD

I have both. I paid full price for both, and I don't regret it at all. When I'm playing, I don't bring anything it's on my phone. When I'm running the game, it amounts to having a second copy. I find that very useful.

Also, since I do a lot of game prep while riding the bus, having my books in my pocket is invaluable.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:52 PM   #14
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULFGARD View Post
I have both. I paid full price for both, and I don't regret it at all. When I'm playing, I don't bring anything it's on my phone. When I'm running the game, it amounts to having a second copy. I find that very useful.
Aside from the 'phone' (I use a PC or lapytron) I have to say ditto.

And I find the physical book is very useful when you have old gamers making characters... you know the ones who refuse to use those "new fangled" pdfs. You guys know the type. Where as the younger crowd (especially millennials) are physically repealed by actual books.

So it's good to have both.

:P
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:36 PM   #15
DannyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMason View Post
Just to make sure you are making an informed decision, Warehouse 23 does not sell Basic (or any books that I know of) in a book and pdf bundle.
Thank you for pointing this out. You are indeed correct. I was not reading the page carefully and thought the book option included the PDF.
DannyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:52 PM   #16
GWJ

Personally I was used paper once, when I was learning rules, and few players was borrow book also for learning rules. Aside of this rare occasions, I don't even use paper book anymore. For me:

Paper book:
* Nicer maybe
* "Collection"
* Most people prefer to read paper than screen

PDF:
* Much easier errating.
* You can make lot of copies and "have book opened at several pages simultaneously". Personally didn't use this, but I think it can be very useful for certain campaigns.
* BOOKMARKS! Reeeeaaaaaally helpful thing.
* You won't devastate your book with just a little bit of pizza/coca-cola/beer/candle wax/etc.
* If you carry smartphone/tablet/laptop for game session for another reason, your books are weighing 0.00000 lbs.
* You can easily "ctrl+c -> ctrl+v" or even screenshot much useful (for you) info and easily make your own GM-screen with info YOU exactly need on the game sessions.
* You can just print selected needed pages from book. For example each of my players in Dungeon Fantasy has printed template and power-ups for his character.
* "Search" option!

Last edited by GWJ; 08-08-2017 at 03:59 PM.
GWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:07 PM   #17
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I have the faux leather signed Basic Set, and the pdfs. I barely use the physical books at all anymore.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:20 PM   #18
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I have the faux leather signed Basic Set, and the pdfs. I barely use the physical books at all anymore.
Ditto.

I also have two, additional, copies of the Basic Set. I've bought five copies of the set for other players. The day the PDFs for the Basic Set became available, I happily bought them. I'd rather have PDFs than dead-tree books ([hippy]trees make our air, man[/hippy]). It's much easier for me to carry a laptop and/or a tablet. And, since we're playing mostly through Tabletop Simulator now, it's just easier to have the PDFs.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:42 PM   #19
Anthony

Yes, for a reference work electronic form is significantly superior to physical (and electronic form designed for the purpose would be greatly superior to pdf). The drawback, of course, is that you need a computer, but for the game master at least you need access to notes and a way to take notes, so a computer is pretty desirable anyway.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:02 PM   #20
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

At least, they're better, until the world ends and all electronics cease working. Then you'll just have to fight over the existing books.

(Me, I expect to die in whatever cataclysm befalls humanity, unless its aliens. I will embrace our new alien overlords.)
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote