Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 08-14-2014, 01:25 PM   #81
Gef

Default Re: GURPS Character Assistant under Wine for Linux

Thanks Armin, that sounds like what I need. I'll try after work and let you know. -GEF

Or maybe I can squeeze it into my lunch break:

Last edited by Gef; 08-14-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:53 PM   #82
Gef

All it had was

[GCA4CRCCheck]
4.0.423=-1

I added the lines from your post, and now it starts up just fine. Thanks.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #83
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
All it had was

[GCA4CRCCheck]
4.0.423=-1

I added the lines from your post, and now it starts up just fine. Thanks.
Great! You're welcome.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:18 AM   #84
MaddMan

Has anyone found an answer for the print blank problem?

Also along the same lines - customizing of sheets causes a no options avaiable & porting them just plain fails.
MaddMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:17 AM   #85
johnny_be

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianthealy View Post
The rest of GCA functions perfectly as far as I can tell. I cannot export any kind of file except the XML. I've tried exporting TXT, RTF, and HTML and the file fails to appear in the designated area. It's like GCA isn't manifesting the file at all. I have Wine Gecko installed.

We might try copying your .wine folder and seeing if the problem is in my installation.
I have been having this same problem. GCA works (including QuickView), but printing just results in a blank PDF (using CUPS-PDF) and the print preview is blank as well. (And nothing but xml exports).

Has anyone figured out a solution for this?
johnny_be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:12 PM   #86
johnny_be

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_be View Post
I have been having this same problem. GCA works (including QuickView), but printing just results in a blank PDF (using CUPS-PDF) and the print preview is blank as well. (And nothing but xml exports).

Has anyone figured out a solution for this?
If it helps, these are the errors that come up in the GCA Logging window when I try to use the print preview:
Code:
Print: Loading charactersheet.gcs.
Print: Device is PDF
Print: PaperSize is 1
Print: Using sheet options from: charactersheet.gcs
modPrintReport:PrintReport: Action: Setting script control: Error -2147467259: Automation error
Print: Setting Options.
modPrintReport:PrintReport: Action: Setting script control: Error 445: Object doesn't support this action
modPrintReport:PrintReport: Action: Setting script control: Error 445: Object doesn't support this action
Print: No options found.
modPrintReport:PrintReport: Action: Setting script control: Error 438: Object doesn't support this property or method
Also, there is no GCA.INI file in my GURPS Character Assistant 4 directory... Maybe that has something to do with it?

I also get the following errors in my console window:
Code:
err:module:import_dll Loading library oleaut32.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\windowscodecs.dll") failed (error c000007b).
err:module:import_dll Library windowscodecs.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe" failed, status c0000135

Last edited by johnny_be; 05-24-2015 at 06:15 PM. Reason: additional info
johnny_be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:21 PM   #87
norman9076

I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, Wine 2.0.2 and I've install GCA b4.0.423. GCA will not work for me. When I try to open it, I get an error box saying, "ModForms:BuildSmartBar: Error 30001: Unable to open the picture file '%1'".

Any help would be appreciated.

-- Norman Lynch
norman9076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:16 PM   #88
acrosome

Do you have a printer driver installed? GCA actually needs one to work. Just install CUPS from the repository.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:49 PM   #89
dobu

After fighting with wine and gca, I finally figured out a solution to the printing problem, blank pages, johnny_be and others (including me) are having.
All that's needed is installing the following dlls:

wsh57 vcrun6 vb6run riched20

additionally one has to set oleaut32 to native.

my guess is a bugged wscript that cannot read the charactersheet.gcs file (which is some script as well). Maybe someone could file a bug at winehq about this.

Now it runs pretty much flawless :-)
dobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:58 PM   #90
thebigh

If you're on Ubuntu and having trouble getting winetricks to download the necessary dlls, I was able to find a way to fix it. First remove the old winetricks, then get the latest and greatest

Code:
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Winetricks/winetricks/master/src/winetricks
chmod +x winetricks
sudo mv -v winetricks /usr/local/bin
Now you should be able to follow all the instructions in the first post. This will also fix the "ModForms:BuildSmartBar: Error 30001: Unable to open the picture file '%1'" issue a previous poster had. At least, it did for me.
thebigh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linux