Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 02-25-2009, 12:18 AM   #311
reb

Default Re: Memorable Quotes.

she turned me into a NEWT!...........but i got better.
reb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:49 AM   #312
Irish Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porklet
Joke? It's a quote by author Douglas Adams. I am pretty sure it's from "Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy". I think Ford says it to Arthur, just before the alien construction crews arrive, "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." It wasn't intended as a joke.
In fact, it's just after Ford has dragged Arthur away from the bulldozer threatening Arthur's house (by arguing the supervisor, Mr. Prosser, into lying in front of the bulldozer in Arthur's place), and taken him to the local pub. Ford buys six pints of bitters (to help cushion the shock of the imminent teleportation beam):

"Here, drink up. We've got three pints to get through."

"What, three pints? At lunchtime?"

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."

"Very deep. You should send that in to Reader's Digest, they've got a page for people like you."

"Drink up, Arthur. The world's about to end."

If you break the laws of God, you go to Hell.

If you break the laws of Physics, you go to Sweden and receive a Nobel Prize.
Irish Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:32 AM   #313
Porklet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Wolf
In fact, it's just after Ford has dragged Arthur away from the bulldozer threatening Arthur's house (by arguing the supervisor, Mr. Prosser, into lying in front of the bulldozer in Arthur's place), and taken him to the local pub. Ford buys six pints of bitters (to help cushion the shock of the imminent teleportation beam):

"Here, drink up. We've got three pints to get through."

"What, three pints? At lunchtime?"

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."

"Very deep. You should send that in to Reader's Digest, they've got a page for people like you."

"Drink up, Arthur. The world's about to end."
I see. I misread the situation entirely. Pardon me.
Porklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:13 PM   #314
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Exactly. Jamie made a reference that made it easy for me to quip off of. And, being as my character A, worked in a library, B, loved to read, and C, was annoyed at the inept time traveler, it was a perfect, in-character, statement.

Some of the players (including Cheshire, who refused to comment) recognized it. And responded accordingly.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:15 PM   #315
Porklet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr
Exactly. Jamie made a reference that made it easy for me to quip off of. And, being as my character A, worked in a library, B, loved to read, and C, was annoyed at the inept time traveler, it was a perfect, in-character, statement.

Some of the players (including Cheshire, who refused to comment) recognized it. And responded accordingly.
Well any opportunity to quote Adams in context is golden.
Porklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:29 PM   #316
Jasonft

Best... Quote... Ever!

At least to anyone who had the joy of being there.

A little bit of set up. Trust me, this one is worth it. Swallow your drink before you get to the punchline.

There is a local SF convention called 'Convergence' here in Minneapolis. Each year there is something of a theme, and for the year in question (this was four or five years back) the theme was 'Superheroes'.

A recurring panel (or running gag if you prefer) is known as 'SMACKDOWN!'. Various characters from the genre are placed in hypothetical combat and the panelists are invited (and encouraged) to be completely over the top (think WWF here) in their reasoning as to why A would or would not defeat B. Majority of the votes from the panel determine which one advances to the next round.

On the night in question we had the creators of Swamp Thing and Teen Titans actually there and in the panel.

A late arrival to the panel was Mercedes Lackey and her husband. Everybody likes her, so they let her sit up front and be a tie breaker. It should be noted that she is normally about the quietest and sweetest person in the room.

Getting down to the final rounds, we ended up with WONDER WOMAN facing off against SWAMP THING. It was a tie.

The emcee looks over to the tie breaker. The husband asks to have a moment to confer with his associate. There is some whispering, and he announces to the room that his partner would like to say something. She stands up and says TWO WORDS...

"Yeast Infection"

Bedlam ensues.
Jasonft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:26 PM   #317
BLloyd607502

What do singing like a muse, being able to skate down a flight of stairs on a microphone stand, being able to turn onstage into a giant Spirit Fox with multiple tails, being able to burn down an entire City, creating illusions that can trick even the greatest man and being able to get away with telling a rich and influential Vampire club owner hes a 'concited toss pot' without any reprocssions all have in common?

They can all be excused away with the Excuse "Because I'm a Rawkstar..."

(Powerful Kitsune rockstar. Used that excuse whenever anyone saw him using his powers that wasn't meant to see them. He also claimed frequently to use 'The power of Rock', whenever anyone saw him using his powers)
BLloyd607502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:42 PM   #318
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraviolet
GM (Me): "The sheriff and his men ride up beside you, no guns drawn. Also a wagon stops, drops the tarp and you see 2 men with machineguns and 2 other men serving as loaders."
Player H (who is a gunslinger with guns 24): "I fast draw my peacemaker and cap the two guys on the left once in the head each.
GM (Me): "What? Shooter and loader?"
Player H: "Yes" (rolls dice) "I hit both"
GM (Me): "Sure, they go down. The other machinegun opens fire" (rolls lots of times "First burst hit with 3, second with 3, third burst...need I go on? All bullets easily do maximum blowthrough damage"
Player H: "What?"
Other Players: "MachineGUN, not MachinePISTOL!"
Player H (sighs): "Oh!"
Not how I would have handled it. I'd have gone something like this:

Player H (who is a gunslinger with guns 24): "I fast draw my peacemaker and cap the two guys on the left once in the head each."
GM: "What's your character's intelligence?"
Player: "<whatever it was>".
GM: "Anything wrong with his eyesight?"
Player: "No."
GM: "Not being a complete moron and actually being able to see the scene, your character, unlike you, does not mistake machinePISTOLS for machineGUNS. Since it's obvious I want your characters to surrender for plot purposes, that's exactly what your character does."

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:01 AM   #319
Koshka

"I shot a nuke/Into the air/And where it went/I do not care."

(And no, we weren't playing terrorists.)
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:31 PM   #320
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Rancke-Madsen
Not how I would have handled it. I'd have gone something like this:
GM: "Not being a complete moron and actually being able to see the scene, your character, unlike you, does not mistake machinePISTOLS for machineGUNS. Since it's obvious I want your characters to surrender for plot purposes, that's exactly what your character does."
At which point I would have started making train sounds, gathered my stuff and left.

I have no problem with clairifying your point and verifying that the player does understand what was said, but dictating what they do when mind-control isn't involved is railroading.

Unlike the game from Sunday:
GM: I had expected Tetsu to be here, and the badguy was designed around having him here to soak up some damage . . . you may all die. Let's find out.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
actual play, funny