Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 10-03-2019, 12:37 PM   #1
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default New free RPG

I haven't downloaded or read it so I can't vouch for its quality, but I never expected to see a fast food RPG created by a fast food company. Which is going to be played tonight (Oct 3) on Critical Role. This is a strange world we live in.

http://feastoflegends.com

(I did skim it for credits. There aren't any. That's not an impressive look.)

Edit to add: We aren't going to discuss the relative merits of fast food franchises or fast food versus home-cooked. Keep it about the game and the marketing implications.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:00 PM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: New free RPG

Ads for a D&D book on the back cover of the New Yorker, custom RPG for a TV show written by the show's creator, and now this. While I suppose TTRPGs could be more mainstream, this is still way more than the me who started playing RPGs in the late 70s would have believed. I mean, this is treating them as something that's kind of, dare I say, cool and hip. For someone who went through the Satanic Panic, that's weird and disorienting, but I shall certainly not complain that my hobby has reached a point where a corporate brand thinks it's worth jumping on the bandwagon.

(Not that this doesn't run the risk of getting tired if it becomes commonplace, but for right now I'm just going to take this as a win.)

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:22 PM   #3
Anaraxes

97-page PDF, of which 36 are rules (the "player's handbook", to coin a name) and the rest the GM's guide, including a sample adventure/campaign and setting info.

It looks playable. Class-based, which isn't a favorite of mine, but does have the advantage for this application that character creation is much easier.

You'd have to be pretty familiar with the American fast food industry to get some of the jokes. And there's at least one riddle whose answer depends on knowing the ad campaigns. (Not terribly surprising, given the purpose.)

Artwork's not bad, and along with the layout in the player's section suits the satire.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:30 AM   #4
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Yeah. This is on the rise in boardgames too (see "Prospero Hall" for example, a "game designer" name for a collective of anonymous employees who therefore aren't building their own reputations) and many people don't seem to care…

The most surprising thing from a quick skim is that it's not simply an OGL D&D clone, which I'd have thought would be easier to put together - there's been actual game design effort put into this.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:42 AM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

It does seem to be mostly tongue-in-cheek satire though: The advertising and jokes never let up. I'm not sure how serious to take this. On the one hand, they don't pretend its not ridiculous. On the other, they actually finished out the whole thing, and its larger than a strictly minimal product.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 12:52 PM   #6
Astromancer

Maybe some decided that if they were going for the joke go all the way. Get goofy laugh points and a bit of style cred too.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:47 PM   #7
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
I haven't downloaded or read it so I can't vouch for its quality, but I never expected to see a fast food RPG created by a fast food company. Which is going to be played tonight (Oct 3) on Critical Role. This is a strange world we live in.

http://feastoflegends.com

Edit to add: We aren't going to discuss the relative merits of fast food franchises or fast food versus home-cooked. Keep it about the game and the marketing implications.
My first reaction: Marketing just went plaid. Spaceballs reference.
A more measured response: It's dripping with theme and cheese. Yes, that is an unrepentant pun.

4d4 stats? median result is 10, but the table zero's at 7-8 (3d4 mode is 7.0,8.0, mean 7.5). This implies, but does not state, than normals should be 3d4.

The mechanics seem to be a D&D 5E base, but renormed attributes for intentional incompatibility.

The dissing on non-Wendy's food is probably the biggest issue I can see with playability... because pizza is probably the most popular gamer-chow I can think of.

Still, I know some people who'd have a blast dealing with the hyper silly. They picked their theme, it seems self consistent... and I can't wait to see reactions to it from certain friends. (my eldest, who is also my L5R GM, responded to it with "Nope! I'm done! Nope! unh-uh."

I'd rather see such a game set in the 1970's/1980's McDonalds milieux (from the dawn of the happy meal...)
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote