Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-12-2015, 04:21 PM   #1
Dark Archon

Default Humanity from Blood and Smoke in GURPS

So, anyone tried to simulate Humanity in GURPS? Basic idea: Humanity is ability of your character to recall how to relate to humans (now that he is not one). High humanity is good, because you are able to keep in touch with your human memories. Certain events can cause downfall of your humanity, and some aspects of your vampire life depends on this value.

Before any of you point me to GURPS: VtM, I will say that there was no system for Humanity in that book, just some words and nowhere near sanity meter system in WoD, and Corruption system from GURPS Horror is not exactly what I am looking for (for example, violence in Corruption system would always give new Cor points; in Blood and Smoke, violence isn't doing any Cor harm to Humanity 3 vampire). Also, any examples of 'sanity meter' in GURPS would be good.
Dark Archon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 04:52 PM   #2
NineDaysDead
Banned

Default Re: Humanity from Blood and Smoke in GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Archon View Post
So, anyone tried to simulate Humanity in GURPS? Basic idea: Humanity is ability of your character to recall how to relate to humans (now that he is not one). High humanity is good, because you are able to keep in touch with your human memories. Certain events can cause downfall of your humanity, and some aspects of your vampire life depends on this value.

Before any of you point me to GURPS: VtM, I will say that there was no system for Humanity in that book, just some words and nowhere near sanity meter system in WoD, and Corruption system from GURPS Horror is not exactly what I am looking for (for example, violence in Corruption system would always give new Cor points; in Blood and Smoke, violence isn't doing any Cor harm to Humanity 3 vampire). Also, any examples of 'sanity meter' in GURPS would be good.
Quote:
Ascetic (Humanity 9-10): A rare vampire with this degree of Humanity goes out of her way to immerse herself in mortal affairs, and to feed sensibly. She’s poised and confident in her dealings; she’s an expert in the way humans behave, feel, and think. She manages to think and act the way they do, in the way an expert method actor would. She appears as an iconic, idealized human. Gain a +2 die bonus to any rolls to relate to humans.
Consider:
Appearance [variable]; Charisma [5/level]; Empathy* [15]; Rehearsed Role [1]; Sanitized Metabolism [1]; Smooth Operator [15/level]; Will [5/level]
* Possibly with enhancements.

Quote:
Monstrous (Humanity 2): A monstrous vampire is barely recognizable as human, unless he’s specifically acting the part and using the blush of life. He looks like a moving corpse, with dry flesh tightened over bones and a faint red hue to his eyes. He’s short-tempered, selfish to a fault, and will kill to suit minor interests and petty desires. Not only does he have difficulty dealing with people, he doesn’t want to. Most of the mortals in his life are servants and feeding stock, viewed as resources at best. Take a –5 die penalty on any roll to relate to humans
Consider:
Appearance [Variable]; Bad temper (9 or less) [-15]; Callous [-5]; Loner (15 or less) [-2]; Selfish (9 or less) [-7]; Supernatural Features (No Body Heat; No Pulse; Pallor) [-20]

Quote:
Animalistic (Humanity 1): A vampire this close to the Beast exists in a state of animalistic stoicism. She can speak and interact just like anyone else, but takes no action without intent. Words are but tools for the hunt. Every action is a step toward the next meal; nothing but blood is worth her time. While she could fake humanity with a bit of blood, she can’t be bothered, and instead looks like a corpse, a statue, a morbid doll. Crowds part when she walks through; her presence demands fright or obeisance. Your character cannot relate to humankind. Any such rolls use only a chance die.
Consider:
Appearance [Variable]; Bad Temper (6 or less) [-20]; Bestial [-15]; Callous [-5]; Loner (12 or less) [-5]; Low Empathy [-20]; Selfish (6 or less) [-10]; Supernatural Features (No Body Heat; No Pulse; Pallor) [-20]
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 05:12 PM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

There are some disadvantages that might be appropriate. Low Empathy stands out. If you want a continuum, use let [-10] give -2 and [-5] give -1. I'd invoke them earlier than nine days dead did. Low empathy isn't the end of the spectrum: Bestial is at the end, and the advantage for someone who doesn't get humans.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 05:28 PM   #4
Flyndaran
Untagged

I wonder if massaging the Corruption rules from Horror might work. The only way to remove said points is through humane acts.
Using inhuman powers may pull you away from humanity at large. If you continue down that road, you eventually gain classic inhuman/inhumane disadvantages.

Actually that might work wonderfully to slow down players gleefully ignoring the tragic mood of most VtM style games.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:36 AM   #5
Dark Archon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Consider: ...
That's okay, but how would I count and change Humanity in GURPS, using Innate GURPS rules and not bringing something from WoD rules?
Dark Archon is offline   Reply With Quote