Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-19-2014, 12:02 PM   #31
Otaku

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage Of the Week: 360° Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I don't use the Panoptic modifiers. If you have a lot of eyes, and this will be noticed as something , that's just a Disadvantage.
360° Vision isn't a mundane Advantage, though; the fact that it could lead to a decreased Appearance/Unusual Feature/etc. is just how it goes (and how in a setting where such a race is common and well known, no one really minds). Of course the same thing might make a cybermod adding an optical sensor equivalent to an eye on but facing rearward anything from stylish to monstrous: a 360° sensor suite might look like literal wrap-around shades, forming a band around your head.

That being said, I would probably make Panoptic 1 the default, just because having extra eyes is such a drawback and so my own experience is that people I know rarely choose the "default" model. Handling it a bit more like Damage Resistance...

...oh, my perception since I started with 3e, where Damage Resistance was 3 points per level and either the more detailed rules were in a supplement I didn't have (and I did have Compendium I, Fantasy Folk, and Supers for 3e/3e Revised). In 4e, it made a lot more sense starting with a more "generic" DR and allowing a Limitation (Tough Skin, -40%) to reflect a more "natural" form of DR (even for unnatural beings) while an Enhancement (Forcefield, +20%) handled DR that still only protected you but also some of your stuff. IIRC in 3e it was all the same, treated as a Special Effect though you may have had to buy the Costume Advantage (a flat 15 points) to protect what you were wearing.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
360, advantage, advantage of the week, aotw, basic, vision, week