Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-15-2018, 05:29 AM   #1
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Basic Combat in The Fantasy Trip

Steve's posted a combat overview for those who may be unfamiliar with The Fantasy Trip.

http://thefantasytrip.game/news/2018...-fantasy-trip/
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:53 AM   #2
Chris Rice

Default Re: Basic Combat in The Fantasy Trip

There is one thing I'd like Steve to clarify, and that is the operation of the Defend/Dodge options.

Does Steve play that these options occur in DX order (which effectively means that a low DEX figure cannot Defend/Dodge against a high DEX figure). Or do these options somehow operate outwith the normal sequence.

There is information in the rules to suggests both, and we always played the latter, but I'd really like to hear what Steve's intention was and how he plays it. I'd also like it to be made completely clear in the new edition.

Many thanks!
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:06 AM   #3
Jim Kane
Banned

Please proof for possible need of correction for 5 typos and 2 possible clarifications:

1) You start by choosing your strength and dexterity. DX and ST are drawn from the *sane* pool... same ? Also, should this not be presented as: ST and DX; for continuity ?

2) And with a DX of 14, you *wild* hit most of the time... would ?

3) *Haven* chosen your ST – let’s say it is 14... Having ?

4) he cannot strike back at you, which is how *aneuver* becomes important... a maneuver ?

5) adjusted for the armor you wear, the shield *an* pack you carry... and ?

6) The first part of each turn is *housekeeping*. One player.... Initiative ?

7) It is now time for a new turn, *unless only one character is left with ST of 0 or above*
- At ST=0 that figure is dead along with the rest.

Should this not more properly be written as:

It is now time for a new turn, unless only one character is left with ST of 2 or above; at ST 1 you are unconscious, and at ST 0 you are dead. ?

Or, as:

It is now time for a new turn, provided there are 2 figures with ST 2 or above left to fight; at ST 1 you are unconscious, and at ST 0 you are dead. ?

Hope that helps you. Have fun guys.... and get *some* sleep :D

JK

Last edited by Jim Kane; 06-15-2018 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Typo
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:29 AM   #4
Terquem

I wonder if Mr. Jackson, who I understand is at Origins, typed that on a phone, haha

I'm 54, and I am terrified of typing anything that will show up on the internet on my phone, just look at my twitter account, *sheesh*
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:37 AM   #5
JLV

Yeah, I wondered the same thing -- an awful lot of those errors look like "autocorrect" types of things to me!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:35 PM   #6
Groknard

My glimpse at the Melee manual yesterday appeared to be as formally written as the original, so I don't think this was a cut/paste from anything destined for publication.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:40 PM   #7
Jim Kane
Banned

Steve, Phil - Here's another gratis clean-up copy-editing job - use as you see fit; and hopefully, it saves you guys some effort and time during the show; and hopefully you can get some sleep before the maid starts banging on the door in the morning, and shouting: "Housekeeping!"... which mysteriously ends up printed in a rule book :D

INTRODUCTION and OVERVIEW:

Combat in The Fantasy Trip is very easy to learn. You start simply by choosing a Strength and a Dexterity. Strength (ST) represents your raw physical power, and Dexterity (DX) represents your skill in combat. A high ST lets you use larger weapons and hopefully do more damage in combat. A high DX lets you hit more often, and hopefully, you will take your enemies out before they can take you out.

In addition to the weapons you will choose to fight with, you may also elect to wear armor or use a shield, or both - or neither! Wearing armor and using some shields makes it harder for you to hit your opponent to inflict injury, but it also protects you from injury being inflicted upon YOU! The heavier the armor you chose, and the bigger the shield you choose, the less damage gets through that can injure you; but the harder it becomes for you to hit your foes accurately and speedily.

CREATING A FIGURE:

To begin, you will be assigning two numerical values to represent each fighter. One of these numbers will represent your figure's power as your ST, and the other number will represent your figure's combat value as DX. Individual ST and DX values for each figure are selected by you out of the one 24 point pool. In Melee, regardless of what the individual ST and DX values are which you ultimately choose, when added together, they must not total higher than the 24 points you started with.

Let us say you have chosen ST 14 - where the human average is 10, meaning you have an above average strength - by default, that leaves 10 points remaining to assign to your DX; again, 10 is the human average; no better, no worse. With DX 10, you will hit your target about half the time you attack your enemies.

Suppose instead you took the opposite of ST 14 and DX 10?

Perhaps you only want ST 10, but a fast DX 14. Now, you would strike sooner each turn – generally, higher DX figures attack before lower DX figures. And with a DX of 14, you are fast, accurate, and would hit most of the time – it’s easy to roll 14 or less on three six-siders. With DX 14, you might even want to give up some of that high chance to hit by wearing some armor, because that armor will stop damage every time you get hit! But, armor weighs you down, reducing your DX to a lower combat value called: adjDX (pronounced: Adjusted DX); because the original DX you chose has been *adjusted* - downwards in this case.

If you can't decide, simply divide your 24 points right down the middle at try a fighter with ST 12 and DX 12. After a few battles you may get a better idea of what you think would make for a more successful fighter; once you have some experience - and some kills - under your belt.

After you have decided on a ST and DX, it's time to select your weapons, and decide if you will use a shield, and/or wear any armor - and get out there, AND FIGHT!

COMBAT OVERVIEW:

(1): ROLL FOR INITIATIVE:
The first part of each turn is determining who goes first. One player rolls a die for each side. The winner with the highest roll wins the initiative for that turn, and now, gets to choose if he goes first, or makes the other-side go first - sometimes a very helpful tactic!

(2): RENEW SPELLS:
Next (if any of the players are wizards; we'll discuss Wizard in a future article) is the optional renewal of any continuing spells cast on previous turns.

(3): MOVEMENT:
Next is movement. Each player chooses an option from a list of over 20, and moves the movement portion of that option. Most of those 20+ options are for special situations, with things like “move your full move,” or “move one hex and strike” getting the brunt of the action. Turns are five seconds long, so there’s time for some creativity in your planning each turn... but, all too often, one stage of the battle will be resolved by hacking at each other.

(4): ACTIONS:
Next comes the Attack Phase. Unless you have a pole, thrown, or missile weapon, you can strike only at a foe in one of your three front hexes. If you are in his side hex, he cannot strike back at you, which is how a maneuver becomes important.

Figures attack in the order of adjusted DX - where your DX is adjusted for the armor you wear, the shield and pack you carry, and a host of special situations - as normally the highest DX goes first; but not always.
Because figures attack in adjusted DX order, a slow figure may be crippled or killed before his turn comes to attack. That is the disadvantage of heavy armor – it slows you! But your armor and shield can turn a fierce attack into a scratch, or nothing at all.

Attacks are further subdivided by type. If there are any pole weapon users, they go first, because their weapons strike at the greatest distance Then come most other weapons: ordinary swords and maces, thrown weapons, missile weapons. Lastly, the “second shot” missile weapon attack; for those few archers who are so speedy that they can fire two arrows in a single turn.

Figures and weapons strike in the order that they strike! If you are faster than a foe, you have a chance to wound or kill him before his turn to attack comes.

(5): FORCE RETREATS
The last phase is end-of-turn retreats. The damage from Shock Shields is also figured at this time.

WHAT'S NEXT?
It is now time to start new turn at the top of the sequence, unless only one character is left standing with ST of 2 or above - and in that case, he is the VICTOR!

JK

Last edited by Jim Kane; 06-15-2018 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:51 PM   #8
Dave Crowell

Surely Dexterity represents more than just "your skill in combat"? Perhaps a description of physical precision or adroitness would be better.

Perhaps I have spent too much time around the De Bellus Antiquitatus community, but never underestimate the tendancy of gamers to over parse the wording of the rules.
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:22 PM   #9
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Crowell View Post
Surely Dexterity represents more than just "your skill in combat"?
It surely does Dave, but how much more do you think is necessary to tell a brand-new person who would be reading this; and deciding if they are interested and excited to learn more about Melee, or turned off by too much detailed information and fancy verbiage?

Where to draw the line when writing for laymen about a detailed/technical thing is an art and a psychological science in copywriting. And, there are no exact rules as to where exactly one should make the cut. You just have to feel your way through sometimes, and hope you hit the mark.

SJ's version included no definition of ST or DX, beyond the terms: Strength and Dexterity. I added the most basic definition I could just to give a optional reference for those might not know; which he can edit back out; if, he so chooses.

Better to say too little, and hope they ask questions; rather than say too much and put them to sleep.

JK

Last edited by Jim Kane; 06-15-2018 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-15-2018, 05:24 PM   #10
tbeard1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terquem View Post
I wonder if Mr. Jackson, who I understand is at Origins, typed that on a phone, haha

I'm 54, and I am terrified of typing anything that will show up on the internet on my phone, just look at my twitter account, *sheesh*
I don’t see the problem. My phonics autoconnect is Excel Ent.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote