Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-13-2016, 07:12 AM   #41
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Default Re: Question Game: Post Agricultural Fantasy Setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
My interpretation of of the cyclone hazard was that a gate and its partner couldn't be near each other, but unconnected gates could be.

Post #14 likens them to railways.
It likens them to 19th century railways, fraught with mis-scheduled collisions on single track connections. This world also has poor scheduling due to primitive clockworks, so separating the gate use in space rather than time seems indicated.

If emerging air from an out-gate A' can trigger the in-gate A to suck matter in again immediately and form a cyclone, then gate A' could presumably still trigger un-partnered in-gate B nearby, so that even without a closed loop you can get an involuntary double jump from A to A' plus B to B'. This is bad and has no particular upside so again there's an indication to separate.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard

Last edited by jeff_wilson; 10-13-2016 at 07:16 AM.
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:48 AM   #42
Emerald Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Military technology was already established at late TL4...
I misread your early post as saying that they had late 19th century military tech rather than late 18th century tech. That would put them around TL6 rather than TL4. I went back and fixed this issue.
Emerald Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:50 AM   #43
Emerald Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
Question
What about the Capital?
Could you please expand on this question? I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.
Emerald Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:23 AM   #44
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Cat View Post
Could you please expand on this question? I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.
I'm not, either. The word "capital" usually refers to currency, or property ("manufacturing capital"). Is the question about money, property and manufacturing, or is it about the capitol city, where the (putative) emperor lives?
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:08 AM   #45
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
I'm not, either. The word "capital" usually refers to currency, or property ("manufacturing capital"). Is the question about money, property and manufacturing, or is it about the capitol city, where the (putative) emperor lives?
I think that it refers to the capitol city. I'd say feel free to go ahead and answer the question as you interpret it. He's had time to clarify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Cat View Post
The pre-Imperial civilizations destroyed each other by making asteroids rain from the sky. Loss of life and infrastructure was severe enough that it blasted the world from TL 8^Magic to TL0-2. Some areas were unfortunate enough to lose all knowledge of magic. The Manna Empire was one of the first powers to recover from the devastating Asteroid War 400 years ago.
So we have two life destroying events: the asteroid war and the blight that destroyed grain. Rich and storied history here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtheobviouspseudonym View Post
Gee. I produce this when I bake, and I don't even need magic!
I think that's the point. It was subverting abundant magic food by making it all the same and incredibly generic.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:11 PM   #46
(E)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I think that it refers to the capitol city. I'd say feel free to go ahead and answer the question as you interpret it. He's had time to clarify.
I meant Capitol city (bad proof reading habits), but I am firmly of the belief that people can choose the interpretation that prefer.

Also I was asleep, the sun is just coming up locally, I'm just getting to work.

To fully rephrase then,
Question
What is something interesting about the Capitol city?

Last edited by (E); 10-13-2016 at 01:02 PM.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:12 PM   #47
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
Question
What is something interesting about the Capitol city?
The capitol city of Millerburg (named for a pre-imperial dynasty) covers almost the entirety of the capitol province. The city is dominated by towers made from plate glass and concrete. Most were built by the Architects Guild of Millerburg (dominated by mages), who have built several buildings outside of Millerburg. The old palace (now the seat of parliament) is built in a Gothic style and allegedly inhabited by the Millers hundreds of years ago. The emperor's power is greatest in Millerburg, from his various holdings in the city and status as De Jure ruler. Governance of the city is delegated to a council appointed by the emperor from the various guilds in the city. Emperor Gerasimos II is the current emperor, and is well liked in the city for his aims to improve the quality of life of the commoners by replacing slums with gleaming towers financed by tax on the gate network. Transport companies are substantially less impressed because most gate routes run through Millerburg.

Question: Who are the richest people in the world?
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:07 PM   #48
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Question: Who are the richest people in the world?
The richest of the rich tend to be factory owners, often such own a lot of factories spread far and wide.

As the magic shielding to protect the factory mages cannot be created my magic and involves a lot of effort and rare materials. The startup cost of a big factory is thus astronomical and the high competition on prices created by the abundance of production means that anyone starting a new factory will take a long time to recoup their investment, and only those with a lot of money to start with can really afford to wait decades to recoup the startup costs, even though the profits of the actual production are really good.

Thus these rich people are mostly descendants of those old noble families that embraced the change to magic manufacturing by bankrolling such early on and reaping the cumulative benefits over the centuries. Those noble families who did not embrace that are a lot lower on wealth scale.

Question: How does healthcare and medicine work?
Old 10-13-2016, 04:13 PM   #49
(E)

Education
Every citizen in the empire is provided with a basic education (reading, writing, arithmetic and citizenship) from this point on the individual is expected to take care of things themselves. Museums, libraries and clubs are all fairly open institutions. The basic education system is an extension of the empire wide recruitment system designed to find magic users.

Question
What are (some of) the various fairy races?
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:07 PM   #50
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
The capitol city
Capital and Capitol both ultimately refer to the highest point or being above something, but the -ol spelling is generally used to refer to legislatures after the Capitoline Hill that was associated with the Roman Senate. You can have a capitol building in your capital city and most places do, but I don't know of a separate capitol city for making law.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote