Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-13-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
b-dog

Default [DF] Block Evil rune

I have been looking through the Temple of Elemental Evil and there are some runes that were placed by the conquering forces of good to seal the forces of evil inside the temple so they could not escape. In AD&D all creatures have alignments so even an orc or trolls can be blocked from opening the rune seal. The rune seal blocks evil from attempting to break it because they are unable to do so. The runes seal also cause fear and unease in non-evil beings so that they will stay away from the rune seal so they will not inadvertantly break it as well. Now how best to translate this to GURPS? I would suppose it would work like the Pentagram spell works for evil beings but would include all those beings powered by evil like certain undead, demons, evil clerics, black wizards, and unholy warriors. Other creatures would be affected as if there were a Fear spell.

The trouble I am having is that in GURPS uses a contest of skills with the skill used to make the rune seal and the Will of the evil creature. In the Temple of Elemental Evil this rune seal blocks all evil beings from crossing. Which would be most reasonable and fair for converting to GURPS?

The contest of skills between the skill with the rune seal and the Will of the non evil beings is fine because they should have a chance of breaking the rune seal because the adventure sort of requires it. So how would a block evil rune seal work using GURPS rules? Thanks.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
RyanW

Default Re: [DF] Block Evil rune

Assuming you are talking about NPCs, if it's required of the adventure, it just happens. If they need to break out, they do. If they need to stay imprisoned, they do. If you are giving this power to a PC, or an NPC directly affecting a PC, then a Contest is called for.

If it needs stats, I would just treat it as a combination of (possibly variant versions of) Pentagram and Fear, rather than coming up with unique effects. It was just cast by a wizard that had skill levels that make it <easy/moderate/hard/impossible>.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
Refplace

It of course depends.
Assuming its magic, is it based on Powers, standard magic, Path or something else?
I would look for the desired effect and build to suit.
But a dread affliction or pentagram variant or repulse or fear all seem good starting points.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
b-dog

This rune seal shuts in a demon lord (Zuggtmoy) and prevents any evil creature from trying to release her. So in effect the rune seal is extremely powerful at sealing evil in and keeping evil away so that they can not break the seal. A evil cleric, unholy warrior, black wizard, undead and demons would have no way to get near the rune seal. Non evil creatures would have strong anti-pathy or fear when they come near the seal and would need to win a contest of skills to overcome it.

I think the rune seal is magical. But the idea of the rune seal is to prevent the release of a demon lord either by her own power of by the power of another evil creature breaking the rune seal.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote