Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-05-2006, 09:18 PM   #1
LoneWolf23k

Default [Banestorm] Female Adventurers

So, considering Banestorm's strongly traditional gender roles, aside from Caithness' female knights, how would one go about justifying female PC adventurers, like swordswomen or sorceresses?
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:31 PM   #2
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Default Re: [Banestorm] Female Adventurers

Possibly same way that people like Amelia Earhart were justified in the 1930s.

They are mavericks or Pioneers of some kind.

The more I read of BANESTORM, the more it reads like in some parts of that world they just pay lip service to those traditional roles.
In their own unique ways Caithness and Cardiel are showing the rest of the continent that things can be done differently.

I imagine Megalan society to be pretty condescending toward female adventurers. At least until the first fight or two happens where they prove themselves.

- Edmund Charlton
You can't take the sky from me....

A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:43 PM   #3
DrTemp

What Qoltar said, plus:

In Megalos, female slaves who fought in the arenas may be quite common, that would be perfectly in line with what Megalos is protrayed like: It would be seen as some kind of decadent, but many nobles would want such things to happen in their arena: Women fighting women, several women fighting one man, women fighting large beasts.. Of course, they'd be wearing very tight chainmail bikinis which have little protectional value but look so cute.

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
(Friedrich Schiller, "Die Jungfrau von Orleans")

Magic 4e Caveats
DrTemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 01:42 AM   #4
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k
So, considering Banestorm's strongly traditional gender roles, aside from Caithness' female knights, how would one go about justifying female PC adventurers, like swordswomen or sorceresses?
I thought that we kept the option for female adventurers as wide open as we could without looking like we were trying too hard.

There are female knights in Caithness. There are active women keeping Sahudese etiquette tied in knots (as usual). There's Dame Catherine "la Noire" (one of my favourite creations in that book) as a role model. (Well, okay, a lousy feminist role model. But hey, Pirate Queen.) There are doubtless any number of Red Sonja clones in the Nomad Lands. There are special rules to handle how sorceresses can do their duty to the state in al-Wazif.

Oh well.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 05:30 AM   #5
LoneWolf23k

Ok, I think my question was answered quite well. I especially liked DrTemp and Phil's suggestions.

Now, what would be the social perception of female adventurers in various lands? I can see some grudging acceptance of female swordswomen in Megalos, but I doubt Al-Haz and Al-Wazif would be so tolerant of women trying to be so independant.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 07:56 AM   #6
rosignol

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k
Ok, I think my question was answered quite well. I especially liked DrTemp and Phil's suggestions.

Now, what would be the social perception of female adventurers in various lands? I can see some grudging acceptance of female swordswomen in Megalos, but I doubt Al-Haz and Al-Wazif would be so tolerant of women trying to be so independant.

I suspect that as a practical matter, there are people may not be happy to see someone diverging from the traditional gender role in that society, but if the person in question was wearing a sword, they would probably be disinclined to actually do anything about it.

People who wear swords tend to know how to use them, and as always, discretion is the better part of valor.
rosignol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 11:57 AM   #7
JAW

Well mages are pretty eccentric bunch anyway and high lewels of magery are not so common so I think it would not be hard to find a mage who would accept a woman with magery 2 or 3 as an apprentice.. Of course later the journey(wo)man mage might hawe a bit harder time to find legitimate employment as a court magician or whatewer than a male one so she'd be forced to adventuring..

Swordwomen would most propably be oputlaws of some kind. I don't see many legitimate armies or armsmens guilds accepting women in yrth (expect maybe in caithnes). Disguise skill could help a bit though. But explaining where the women hawe learned the weapons skills in the firts place might be troublesome but maybe you can come up with something like "she wanted rewence becouse of X on Y and trained secretly by herself working as a maid on knight Zs household.." (but preferably something less cheesy than that)
JAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:05 PM   #8
DrTemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAW
[...]
Swordwomen would most propably be oputlaws of some kind. I don't see many legitimate armies or armsmens guilds accepting women in yrth (expect maybe in caithnes).[...]
Funny. I don't see them not accepting able women.

Magic 4e Caveats
Old 10-06-2006, 12:28 PM   #9
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTemp
Funny. I don't see them not accepting able women.
That's the thing about prejudice. It keeps you from accepting able individuals on the ground of their sex, ethnicity, religion, etc.

(I admit that you may have meant something entirely different there...)

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 01:23 PM   #10
DrTemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company
That's the thing about prejudice. It keeps you from accepting able individuals on the ground of their sex, ethnicity, religion, etc. [...]
But the implication that each and every armsguild master will have such prejudices is neither root in real life experience nor in anything written in GURPS Banestorm.

So while some gamer wants it to be that way, there is no necessity to play it that way, even when totally sticking to the book as written.

Magic 4e Caveats

Tags
banestorm