Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 04-04-2006, 09:55 AM   #11
Glamourweaver

Default Re: House Rules

I haven't implemented this in game yet (though I may run a one shot just to test the balance of it), but I had this idea on Songs:

Corporeal/Ethereal/Celestial Songs are not bought seperately, instead they are bought as a single rating (i.e. Dreams/2 Ecstasy/4 Beasts/1). You roll that rating with your Corporeal Forces for the Corporeal effect, with your Ethereal Forces for the Ethereal effect, & with your Celestial Forces for the Celestial effect.

This is because I've always felt there aren't enough points at character creation to fully realize a concept & that Songs aren't flexible enough. This addresses both those issues.
Glamourweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 07:41 PM   #12
Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamourweaver
This is because I've always felt there aren't enough points at character creation to fully realize a concept & that Songs aren't flexible enough. This addresses both those issues.
There are never enough points. After the first character creation session, I've always given at least 60 points for character creation. I suspect that even 150 points aren't enough if you do characters like I do them (PC and NPC): lots of different skills and Songs and attunements and ooh, new attunements and a couple of relics would be nice...

150 points may sound a lot but when most of them have been spent on the motorcycle with Area Knowledge/3, Driving/2, Cel Form/2 and feature: summonable (you can't leave it just lying around on a dangerous neighbourhood. With demons!), and Dancing/3, Cooking/2, Knowledge: Kobalites/4, Knowledge: Heavenly Etiquette/4 (what are the chances that a PC isn't questioned in front of the Seraphim Council?) etc. the character isn't still very powerful. Execpt maybe if it's attunement heavy. Maybe.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:01 PM   #13
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

That's... a lot of points... o.O <--googly eyes

(Mind, I made a "yeah, this'd do" 4e character on 100 points, recently, without bothering to load up on disads, so perhaps I'm weird.)
Old 04-29-2006, 04:28 PM   #14
William

Sounds mainly like a lot of the points were spent on neat relics. In that case, you might just want to give standard points and make relics much cheaper in points, having them be more common in the game world.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 04:29 PM   #15
William

Also, 100 point characters in 4e are hard but doable... though when I used mine she racked up the full 50 in Disads to make her impressive in my opinion...
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 01:48 PM   #16
Magicwillnz

If you put points into the right things, a character can be extremely powerful. One cameo in my game had close to 12 Will, +3 charisma, and Seduction/6. Even without other skills, she was pretty powerful.

I never minded about the small amount of points characters got. Besides, part of the game is character development. A character should not be fully "realized" at the start. As the character develops, they will become more and more "realized". It also allows players to change character concepts slightly before they are set in stone.
Magicwillnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 04:04 PM   #17
Blackwing

I meant point costs in the In Nomine system, not Gurps. Sorry for being unclear.

The 150 point costs come mostly from when I was overly curious and counted the CPs from "middle" experienced NPCs of Vassal or Friend level. I do think that 45 points is too little for a starting PC that is supposed to be experienced or Redeemed/Fallen or even just changed Superioirs.

When desinging a PC, I typically first come up with the character consept, then come up with the skills, Songs etc, then cut down the points to the GM's limit. It seems that 60-90 CP is needed for an experienced celestial. Demons seem to need a bit more points because all angels don't necessarily need skills like Detect Lies, Lying or Savoir-Faire which make a demon's life more likely to last longer.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:12 PM   #18
gim88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwing
I do think that 45 points is too little for a starting PC that is supposed to be experienced or Redeemed/Fallen or even just changed Superioirs.

36 points is the 'official' starting limit for a 9 Forced character.
gim88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:02 PM   #19
Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gim88
36 points is the 'official' starting limit for a 9 Forced character.
That's what I get for not checking it first. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:00 AM   #20
thalcos

I'm starting up a new In Nomine campaign myself (it's been at least a year or two since my last one). Some of the house rules I've used in the past include:

- Reworked and streamlined the skill tree a bit for more cinematic play. Added skills like Research (my angels are always looking things up and hunting down info) and Search (ditto), and got rid of skills like Chemistry in favor of a generic Science skill.

- Got rid of ammunition for guns, figuring everyone has enough until they roll really badly and are out. Machine guns can go automatic for triple power and -1 accuracy, but the firer has to spend a whole turn reloading.

- Ignore the rule about armor making you harder to hit; it just subtracts damage now.

- Only allow Full Dodges in combat. Celestials seem to have enough hit points (even with the alternate hp rules in the GMG) that allowing Dodge rolls to nearly-negate damage on average just slowed things down too much. Personally, I like IN combat to be fast and have that "oh crap!" quality to it.

- Mostly fudge Disturbance rules with on-the-fly Perception rolls for the PCs. I've got a table on my custom GM screen that expands a bit on the "Who Heard It" system from the GMG, but where just a handful of simplified Disturbance modifers just apply right to that table, so I don't have to keep track of individual hits or Essence expenditures.

- Simplified many Song ranges down to a set number. For example, it's just silly that the Ethereal Song of Attraction works on a target within a number of feet equal to the performer's Ethereal Forces. I mean, how often does a 1-2 foot difference make in an IN game? You're basically talking about a player saying "can I get close enough to talk to them?"

Other than that, I pretty much use the rules and background material as written.
thalcos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rules