Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 01-13-2014, 07:26 PM   #11
Justin_Bedard

Default Re: Dead Airway [OC]

There's detailed posting on the GURPS diskussion page, it's still quite near the top...

This should let you see it, you may need a google+ account.
GURPS DISKUSSION

Last edited by Justin_Bedard; 01-13-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Justin_Bedard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:09 PM   #12
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Bedard View Post
There's detailed posting on the GURPS diskussion page, it's still quite near the top...
If you'd like us to see it, could you provide a link?
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:21 PM   #13
wat3rm0le

Quote:
Freemont Airport, 1968

7:00 News, Open to a black/white television, channel switches to News channel 7. cue cut-scene opening, title flashing. After the short cue, a newswoman in front of the airport entrance pulls a microphone up to her face.
Newswoman: Today, at Freemont Airport, A Quarantine was place this morning when several passengers from an incoming flight from Boca were reported sick with an unknown disease. Reports from the air tower has revealed that the plague had been spreading among the citizens trapped inside.
A fly-over of the airport reveals the building to be sealed, with the lights off. A side-scroll reveals a few military cars pulling up to the airport.
Newswoman: I can see... yes, several government officials seem to be approaching the building.
Several armed men get out of the military cars, slowly approaching the airport. one officer runs up to the camera.
Soldier: Shut down that camera! You {Points towards newswoman}! as of now, this building is contained by the {Static drowns out the name of the unit}. you are to remove yourself from the area!
Camera pans to the ground, moving towards the news van. A crashing noise can be heard from the airport. gunshots are heard, the camera points towards the airport, revealing several dozen people running towards and tackling the men standing guard. A zoom-in shows several of the infected biting into and killing the guards. the camera points towards the ground again, and the van door opens, the newswoman enters (panicked).
Newswoman: Oh-h my god!
Camera points out window, the soldier shoots several oncoming infected, but it does nothing. they leap on him, tearing through him in seconds. a last zoom-in of the airport entrance shows a small group of people, walking out with weapons held high. they take out some zombies before heading into one of the military cars before the camera shuts off.

This may be the end, but how did it begin?
Looking for 1-2 Player characters, since I have some from GURPS (Diskussion)

Book Sources: 4th Edition.
Basic Set, High Tech, Horror, some homebrew/internet search stuff on zombies, Possibly mass combat...

Character constraints:
Tech level: Middle of TL 7 (1968),LC: 4, with LC 3 guns and ammunition available with a 1 point purchase (License: Gun Owner) for each weapon.
status Limits: 0 (Passenger, bag boy, etc.) to 3 (rich lawyer, actress, etc.), same for rank.
Wealth: 2,500$, with a "free" passport and plane ticket. restricted from Struggling to Very Rich (above that, you own a plane...)
Home brew: Recovery [1], Easy to knockout (-2 per level), Common Sense [1]

Population: 22,000

NPC:
Glen Haverfield, Character Background
Gordy White, Character Background

Comment area:
The Matrix Walker:
Truthfully, starting wealth IS 15,000$, but you only have access to all that money should you build a full history, as well as purchasing a house, car, etc. this however is very time-consuming.

Just saw Charles... I can't tell if you're being serious, but that character has some flaws.
1) Blindness? really? it's all right, but you're setting your character up with no personality.
2) What's up with the dog? is it an ally, or a signature gear? either way, it's something along a 5 point ally or a signature gear [2 to 3, depending on breed]
3) What's with the 10-point and above skills? shuffle those points around and add more skills... or... I don't know... buy off some disadvantages?
4) What's with the empty bag, and the "equipment"?
sorry if it seems brutal, it's just that your character is quite broken. take the other PC's as guides. points though for the original character.

i'm not saying no, just why?
Justin, sorry, no I don't think that is brutal. I'm still fairly new to GURPs so I appreciate the feedback. I disagree strongly though that blindness means no personality. "Lucy" will be an ally. I'm adding equipment now. I'll look at the other characters for help, but I'm not sure that they will be appropriate for someone who grew up blind in the 30's and 40's. I'm also coming up with his back story. I hope that will give you more confidence that Charley is indeed a well-rounded character. Any help you can give me in fixing my character I'd appreciate, but I really do want to try playing a bind character.
wat3rm0le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:23 PM   #14
FrumpyAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
If you'd like us to see it, could you provide a link?
https://plus.google.com/102776803248...ts/5B3myZYSBsK
FrumpyAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #15
Justin_Bedard

Watermole: Sorry, I didn't mean no personality, I meant that the character (from what I perceived) would only be "the blind guy". sure, he could love chocolate or hate cats, but his defining trait (quite literally) is blindness (not that there's anything wrong with that). that's what I found wrong with it.

To be blunt, how long have you known the system?

Character background will really help decide personality, and as with the mistake I was creating (thinking quirks were part of disadvantages), it should add a few points.

Oh, and before I forget, Quirk limit is 5 or a value total of [-5].

Last edited by Justin_Bedard; 01-13-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:30 PM   #16
the_matrix_walker

Just for the record, Quirks ARE technically Disadvantages. Anything with a "-" sign is, reduced attributes etc.

It is almost ubiquitous however, that they be expressed as 'in excess' of the stated Disadvantage limit.
----------------
I checked out the Google thread... I'd rather not add another posting site, so I'm going to keep my comments here if that is alright.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:35 PM   #17
wat3rm0le

Quote:
Watermole: Sorry, I didn't mean no personality, I meant that the character (from what I perceived) would only be "the blind guy". sure, he could love chocolate or hate cats, but his defining trait (quite literally) is blindness (not that there's anything wrong with that). that's what I found wrong with it.

To be blunt, how long have you known the system?

Character background will really help decide personality, and as with the mistake I was creating (thinking quirks were part of disadvantages), it should add a few points.

Oh, and before I forget, Quirk limit is 5 or a value total of [-5].
Here's Charley's back story and equipment list

In 1933, Charley was born blind to middle class parents living in Freemont. His father worked as a machinist and his mother stayed at home. His parents did what they could but life was not easy for a blind boy growing up in the 30s. He was bullied a lot by the local kids.

When he was 9 his dad went off to fight in the Pacific. He didn't make it back. Charley wasn't all that great a student and didn't really have much of a purpose. With his father gone, his mother became even more protective and suffocating than she was before. She tried to keep him safe and protected, but all he wanted to do was to get out of the house.

Charley was angry at the world and routinely got into fights anytime anyone made fun of him. He started acting out and getting hurt. In desperation his mother enrolled him in a program to train with a guide dog named “Lucy” when he was 13. This helped some but it also gave him the freedom to go on more independent adventures.

On one of his explorations of his neighborhood, a gang of boys saw him with his cane and made fun of him. In a rage he swung his cane out at the taunting voices. He was able to get in a few hits but the other boys outnumbered and started pulverizing him. Just as Lucy started to attack, he heard a deep voice yelling at the boys and felt large hands help him up.

That’s the day he met Alfred Dore, or “Al” as everyone at the gym called him. Al turned Charley’s life around. He took him to the gym and told him that “300 lbs of iron don’t give a damn if you can see or not.” Charley started hanging around the gym listening to Al train the heavy lifters.

He asked if he could try lifting but Al wouldn’t let him. He could hear the incredible groans of powerlifters bench pressing incredible weights. He could feel the weights, the chains, the bars that they were training on. These could be the solid anchor that Charley needed in his life.

Two more weeks passed and Charley still hadn’t lifted. Al told him flat out that he wasn’t ready. Charley was a bit set back. He really wanted to be a powerlifter and all he was doing was helping with menial chores around the gym and sticking close to Al. This continued on for another week.

He was bored out of his skull. As he sat in silence at the end of one of their bench sessions, Al walked over and said, “Now you’re ready.” Charley, excited, found his way to one of the benches.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?”

“I’m going to lift.”

“No,” Al said, “you’re not. You aren’t ready. Come with me.”

They walked out back and Charley was given a weight belt attached to something behind him. “Drag this for ten trips down to the tree and back, then come get me,” Al said pushing him in the right direction. “And don’t let your dog do all the work!” Al added as he went back into the gym

While he really wanted to train like the other guys, at least he wasn’t cleaning barbells. After a few trips he could feel his legs getting tired and it was getting harder and harder to breathe. He’d do a set, rest, and then do another. Lucy walked with him the whole time. He could hear the intensity of the session going on inside and wished he was part of it. After he finished, he went back into the gym.

“Ok let’s get you doing some reverse hypers” Al said. He was positioned on a bench with a strap attached around his ankles. He began to swing the weight up and was told to arch as hard as he could at the top. He couldn’t use much weight at all. The knew the other guys were using around 500 pounds but a all he could use was 50. When he finished, his lower back felt tied up in knots.

Next he did incline sit-ups and straight leg raises. He did five sets of each with coaching coming from many different lifters. He was taught how to flex and tighten his abs. From time to time they would come over and push their fingers into his abs to make sure they were being held tight.

The last movement he was asked to do was called “band good mornings.” For this he stood on a big rubber band, placed the other end around the back of his traps, bent over at the waist and then stood up. He was told to try and feel the movement in his lower back and hamstrings. He could feel it all right.

And so it began, Charley’s life training as a power lifter. He graduated from high school, not with great grades but he graduated. He didn’t stop getting into fights, but he discovered that he wasn’t the only person with a “disability” who wanted to show the world that he could compete. Years passed. He soaked up everything Al would teach him — how to breath, how to focus, even how to make some of his own equipment - like the leather lifting belts they used. He learned about the the Stoke Mandeville Games and the movement of athletes just like himself to compete at the Olympic level. At 35 Charley was lifting better than all of the guys at the gym. He entered and placed at the 17th International Stoke Mandeville Games held in Tel Aviv, and he was flying home looking forward to showing off his medal to the guys at the gym.

Equipment:
Whole grain bread, Peanut butter and jelly
Apples and banannas
Heavy Wrist, Knee, Elbow Wraps
2 Leather Power Lifting Belts
Protein Supplement
Dog treats
dog leash
duct tape
Converse All Stars
High Socks
singlet
ammonia caps
water bottle/full
chalk
grip lotion
professional leather craft set (mallet, stamping tools, drive punch, swivel knife, dyes, finish, brushes, etc.)
leather scraps
sunglasses

Duffle Bag holds 60lbs
45 lb set of two 5/8 x 5 ft chains $129

Suit Case with wheels holds 100 lbs: $250
2 weeks worth of clothes
Personal Items
wat3rm0le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:56 AM   #18
Skullcrusher

Is the disadvatages -50 or -50+-5 quirks for a total of -55?

....anyways here is Butch Jablonski...a local mechanic who served in both WWII and the Korean War.

https://db.tt/JjmTZqhQ

still have to do equipment and might have to rearrange points for legal wepaons (Do we need to have a license for a shotgun.....I thought is was just for hand guns)

Randal Kane - Trent Bauer
Skullcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:42 AM   #19
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullcrusher View Post
Is the disadvatages -50 or -50+-5 quirks for a total of -55?
Looks like he's going with -50 plus -5 in quirks.

And the character in Post 2 has Attribute penalties bringing his disad total to -70, so it looks like he's not counting Attribute drops either (unless it's an oversight)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullcrusher View Post
....anyways here is Butch Jablonski...a local mechanic who served in both WWII and the Korean War.
Hmn, Rosco and Butch may have served together!
Old 01-14-2014, 12:38 PM   #20
Justin_Bedard

Matrix walker: I never count attribute changes as disadvantages, it's very disabling.

Skullcrusher: LC 4 and LC 3 weapons require a license or Permit: "GUN NAME" [1]. LC 2 to LC 0 are illegal, but are still available based on your character.
Example: A communist spy might have a bazooka hidden in one of his suitcase. A drug runner might have several pounds of meth, or a C.I.A. agent might have access to lockpick guns.
LC 3 and below GEAR is limited to character background

Concerning butch, he seems alright, and nothing exceptionally game-breaking about him. I'd say he's good to go like that.

Last edited by Justin_Bedard; 01-14-2014 at 12:41 PM.

Tags
gurps 4e, horror, pbp, zombies