Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-31-2006, 01:36 PM   #691
Der Wanderer

Default Re: 50-point Abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackseasofinfinity
Why not just Lifebane (Small Insects Only, -60%) [-4]?
If the GM doesn't allow it, yeah sure, but... ionno... saves you 9 points.
Ouch, missed that one... but hey, which sane GM would allow this??? I mean a disadvantage that is not a disadvantage is not a disadvantage...
Und wenn hinter Fliegen Fliegen fliegen fliegen Fliegen Fliegen nach...
Old 10-31-2006, 01:40 PM   #692
B9anders

B165: A disadvantage that does not limit the character is not a disadvantage.
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 06:38 PM   #693
Blackseasofinfinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by B9anders
B165: A disadvantage that does not limit the character is not a disadvantage.
B142: Life bane gives -2 on reaction rolls made by anyone in a position to notice it...," then later: "... for instance, you need never buy insect repellent!"

It basically already has that feature and gives a limitation. It's still a disadvantage.

But I agree with Der Wanderer... what GM in his right mind would allow this? ;)

What's kind of funny is, almost all of our players were taking this every game, so our GM decided it should cost +15 points instead of -10... lol, no one takes it now ;).
Blackseasofinfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 08:54 AM   #694
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2

Quote:
B142: Life bane gives -2 on reaction rolls made by anyone in a position to notice it...," then later: "... for instance, you need never buy insect repellent!"

It basically already has that feature and gives a limitation. It's still a disadvantage.

But I agree with Der Wanderer... what GM in his right mind would allow this? ;)

What's kind of funny is, almost all of our players were taking this every game, so our GM decided it should cost +15 points instead of -10... lol, no one takes it now ;).
The main point of Lifebane is the negative reaction modifier the character gets as being such a $*&&^$%# that his mere presence kills. Don't forget to incorporate that.
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 06:27 AM   #695
RedMattis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Pee_Kitty
The ability to survive as an astral entity when you die would require more than Insubstantiality -- you'd also need Invisibility, Doesn't Breathe, and all of the other stuff included in the Astral Entity metatrait.

I'd recommend figuring the customized cost of an Astral Entity meta-trait (i.e., the cost of the meta-trait minus the cost of any traits that you'd lose by being dead), then charge the player half of that cost as a "potential advantage". If he dies, he gets to become an Astral Entity and immediately has to start paying for the meta-trait with earned cp.
I don't have my books here, but doesn't powers say that you get the astral entity meta-trait if your body dies (and you make the Will-15 roll)?
That said, doesn't breathe should probably be added too the versions that can willingly project their spirits. Invisibility is not something I'd require for something like that, afterall the spirit is still in our world, and has yet to move to the spiritworld/afterlife whatever. Depending on your setting spirits may or may not be invisible ;)
Old 11-04-2006, 08:14 AM   #696
Mgellis

How about this one...

"I HAVE CURSED YOU!"

You can CURSE someone, giving them the Cursed disadvantage. This will last forever unless removed by a counter-spell.

You can cast the curse on anyone, no matter where they are. There are no penalties even if they are in another country, but if you cannot see them or touch them, you must have some kind of symbolic representation of your intended victim (voodoo doll wearing an outfit made from clothes they have thrown away, a jar with their hair and fingernail clippings, etc.--the GM decides if the representation is good enough to work). Or, if you can see your intended victim (through a telescope, because you have them tied up, etc.) you can just cast the spell on them directly.

To cast the spell, you must engage in ritual chanting for more than an hour. Once you reach the climax of the ritual, you must cast the spell at that very moment (no saving it until later, so Preparation Required isn't an appropriate modifier).

Affliction 1 (Cursed, +75%; Malediction 3, +200%; Cosmic, May substitute symbolic representation for any subject who is not within sight of the caster, +50%; Long Range, No range penalties, +50%; Extended Duration, Permanent until removed by counter-spell, +150%; Takes Extra Time, x4096, -120%; Requires Words, -10%; Magical, -10%) [49]

You can use this to build a variety of different spells.

Voodoo might actually use Spirit Power, -25% instead of Magical, -10%. Various disadvantages (Blind, Bad Back, Weakness to Sunlight, etc.) can be substituted to create different, separate spells. Some kind of Pact is also a possibility.

A more complicated ritual might require gestures or components besides the symbolic representation of the victim, at -10% each, as per Powers, p. 116.

Each of these would be a separate 50-point power, more or less (the range would probably be about 40 to 60 points, depending on the specifics of the particular spell).

A wizard capable of casting ANY of them (and other spells) would need a 600-point cosmic modular ability. Ouch! :)

Mark

Last edited by Mgellis; 11-04-2006 at 08:18 AM.
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:31 AM   #697
RedMattis

All or Nothing (-80%) [100p]
Alterd Time Rate 5 (FP cost, 8/sec, -80%)
Description: You can become so fast that you almost bring the world to a standstill. This exhausts you completely, and will most likely leave you defenseless afterwards.

Last Resort [150p] [140*0,9+24]
Shapeshifting (Reduced Time, 1 sec, +60%)
Form lasts for 1 sec after activation.
(FP Cost, 8/sec, -80%)

Last Resort

{Final Combo (-30%) [200p]
Innate Attack: Cutting 40d (; Melee Attack: C, -30%)

Alterd Time Rate 5 [500p]}

Note: limmiting the time which can be spent in a form puts this limmitation on all abillities/attributes etc. in the form.

Edit: Assume that the "Last Resort" from as the same racial attributes as your original race, making the differance 0

Last edited by RedMattis; 11-10-2006 at 10:43 AM.
RedMattis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:09 AM   #698
RedMattis

Fiery Combo:
Description: This is a combo of two slashes with your sword, followed by a powerful fiery attack, and finaly a powerful knockback punch.

Slash (+75%) [7p] [36/5]
Innate Attack: cut 3d (Melee Attack, 1-2, -25%; ST based, +100%)

Fiery Slash (-55%) [7p] [34/5]
Innate Attack: cut 11d (Melee Attack, 1-2, -25%; Incendiary, +10%; Accessability: Only after using "Slash" two times in a row, -40%)

Shooting Star** [36] (-80%)
Innate Attack: Crush 36d (No Wounding, -50%; No Blunt Trauma, -20%; Doubble Knockback, +20%; Melee Attack, C, -30%; Only after Fiery Slash, -50%)

Total Cost: 50p

Last edited by RedMattis; 11-10-2006 at 11:12 AM.
RedMattis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:34 PM   #699
Blackseasofinfinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMattis
Fiery Combo:
Description: This is a combo of two slashes with your sword, followed by a powerful fiery attack, and finaly a powerful knockback punch.

Slash (+75%) [7p] [36/5]

Innate Attack: cut 11d (Melee Attack, 1-2, -25%; Incendiary, +10%; Accessability: Only after using "Slash" two times in a row, -40%)

Innate Attack: Crush 36d (No Wounding, -50%; No Blunt Trauma, -20%; Doubble Knockback, +20%; Melee Attack, C, -30%; Only after Fiery Slash, -50%)

Wait a second... Am I reading your notation wrong? Here's what I'm getting on the prices:

Slash: (7x3)(1.75)= 36.75 (or 37)
Fiery Slash: (11x7)(.45)= 34.65 (or 35)
Shooting Star: (36x5)(.2)= 36

Total: 108

Am I missing something?

I like the idea though. Feels very fighter-gamish (which is sweet!).
Blackseasofinfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:45 AM   #700
Der Wanderer

Quote:
Am I missing something?
Yes, they are alternative abilities... however Slash should be 8 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMattis
Fiery Combo:

Slash (+75%) [7p] [36/5]

That is very cool idea however I think the two accessibility limitations are overrated as they should be worth less than "Takes Extra Time 2 -20%" (Requires 3 non damaging Ready maneuvers) unless all the attacks also must do damage

Man I love that idea
Flying Punches [24]
8x Innate Attack Thr+1 (Crushing; Link +10%; Melee (C, Cannot Block, ST-Based) +65%; All Out Attack -25%) [3]
Description: You can land 8 quick punches (Cr, Thr +1) in one combat round (the enemy can block normally, the GM might use the rules for high ROF). This quick punching leaves you defensless...

Tags
gurpsland, house rules, pdf, powers, sample powers