Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:12 AM   #11
dwalend

Default Re: Official Rules Update and FAQ (Draft versions 1.01 - June 21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talorien View Post
The most illuminating conversation I've had about this with Steve is that, thematically, grouping literally represents "these guys are together over here, and those guys are together over there" in the 1.5-km wide area.

- Gameplay-wise, it is simple and clear to resolve (it avoids the kinds of rules tangles involving 5.11.3 which Kevin has brought up)

TLDR: I'm pretty sure that Steve never intended infantry not on the same vehicle to be able to group defensively
Then we're probably good with the rule-change plus a sentence somewhere that infantry riding a vehicle use the same die even for spill-over.

Poor infantry. Dead men on leave.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:13 PM   #12
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
Then we're probably good with the rule-change plus a sentence somewhere that infantry riding a vehicle use the same die even for spill-over.

Poor infantry. Dead men on leave.
And, traditionally, why you don't put infantry on top of vehicles in combat. To me, this has been one of those "charging uphill against entrenched defenders" sorts of situations.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:46 AM   #13
Talorien
Former Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
I don't think 5.11.2 applies to spillover. The operative words are "fired upon", which I think means the same thing as "declared one of the counters to be the target of the attack" in 7.12. In other words, 5.11.2 allows more than one counter (the vehicle and its riders) to be the "target of the attack" given in 7.12.

This is probably worth an FAQ entry to 5.11.2.
Talorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:34 AM   #14
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talorien View Post
I don't think 5.11.2 applies to spillover. The operative words are "fired upon", which I think means the same thing as "declared one of the counters to be the target of the attack" in 7.12. In other words, 5.11.2 allows more than one counter (the vehicle and its riders) to be the "target of the attack" given in 7.12.

This is probably worth an FAQ entry to 5.11.2.
That matches my reading, but doesn't fit the reasoning above. Also, saving some die rolls in a big spill-over will speed up the game.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:21 PM   #15
hcobb

Can the grouping text apply to groups of vehicles also for towing or open topped vehicle transports? (Which trains ought to be anyway.)
Old 06-26-2014, 09:09 AM   #16
Talorien
Former Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
That matches my reading, but doesn't fit the reasoning above. Also, saving some die rolls in a big spill-over will speed up the game.
To be specific, the new FAQ for 7.12.1 applies (i.e. how infantry are grouped), but 5.11.2 doesn't apply.

Basically, spillover is random enough that it can affect a vehicle and its riders differently, whereas the area of effect for direct fire is large enough that it affects a vehicle and its riders in equal intensity (though not in equal effect, due to possible different defense values).
Talorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:21 PM   #17
hcobb

What happens if an Ogre overruns a disabled LGEV and the defending unit fires on treads?
Old 10-05-2014, 04:46 PM   #18
selenite

Round down. On a 5 or 6 the LGEV will destroy zero treads.

DE 7.10: "the target of the attack gets the benefit of the rounding-off."
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:09 PM   #19
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
What happens if an Ogre overruns a disabled LGEV and the defending unit fires on treads?
Quote:
Originally Posted by selenite View Post
Round down. On a 5 or 6 the LGEV will destroy zero treads.

DE 7.10: "the target of the attack gets the benefit of the rounding-off."
Actually, that's not how that works, but the end result would be the same (zero treads lost).

The rounding referred to applies to the _ratio_ being rounded down, not the attack strength, so the question being asked is actually "When something that is disabled that has an attack strength of 0.5 in an overrun (eg, LGEV), how many treads are lost?"

Since treads are a _fixed_ 1:1 ratio, the LGEV would still have the same odds of hitting, but it would not do any damage because you can't blow off 1/2 a tread.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:31 AM   #20
offsides

An alternate solution would be to round down on a 5 and round up on a 6 (or to generalize it using the Ogre Minis CRT style in case it's needed anywhere else, round down on an X and round up on an XX (for those unfamiliar with the Ogre Minis style CRT, the lowest value X on the normal CRT is a single X (killed but leave a wreck), and all higher values is XX (killed and remove from the field of play)).

Of course the best solution is to not let your LGEVs get disabled and overrun... :P
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote