Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #221
Pomphis
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Default Re: Flat Black

Will you post a picture ?
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:31 PM   #222
Agemegos
 
Agemegos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Oz
Default Re: Flat Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomphis View Post
Will you post a picture ?
No, for a handful of reasons of which the most cogent is that I didn't take one. The moustache, 11mm long, came off a five to six in the morning on the First of December.

It was not a lovely moustache.
__________________

copyright Brett Evill
Discussion of Flat Black
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:44 PM   #223
Agemegos
 
Agemegos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Oz
Default Re: Flat Black

Owing to the generous support of the munificent Roger_BW, there is now a discussion category for FLAT BLACK on the Discourse server at tekeli.li. This avoids the use of the egregious FaceBook.
__________________

copyright Brett Evill
Discussion of Flat Black
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 05:36 PM   #224
Agemegos
 
Agemegos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Oz
Default Re: Flat Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
Owing to the generous support of the munificent Roger_BW, there is now a discussion category for FLAT BLACK on the Discourse server at tekeli.li. This avoids the use of the egregious FaceBook.
I have written a new players' introduction to Flat Black, which is better focussed on the current state of the colonies and less distracted by a ream of history and minutiae of the Imperial administration. It's 9,500 words, and only drags in spots. I couldn't say why you might want it, but if you do it's available for download from the old Flat Black wiki in PDF and EPUB formats.
__________________

copyright Brett Evill
Discussion of Flat Black
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:50 AM   #225
Pomphis
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Default Re: Flat Black

Thank you, though I love history and minutiae.
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 05:39 PM   #226
Agemegos
 
Agemegos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Oz
Default Re: Flat Black

Early in the new year I will start work on a book of weapons, armour, vehicles, kit, and equipment for FLAT BLACK. I'm basing the technology on FLAT BLACK's native SF RPG, ForeSight, and I use modified ForeSight mechanics in my games, so this will not be a GURPS product. But I will be thoroughly revising ForeSight's tech assumptions, which are based on 1970s SF, and may be pillaging GURPS Ultra-Tech, GURPS Bio-Tech, GURPS Spaceships, ForeScene, Traveller, Universe etc.

https://discussion.tekeli.li/t/an-eq...flat-black/518
__________________

copyright Brett Evill
Discussion of Flat Black

Last edited by Agemegos; 12-28-2019 at 06:22 PM.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 07:34 PM   #227
Agemegos
 
Agemegos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Oz
Default Re: Flat Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
I have written a new players' introduction to Flat Black, which is better focussed on the current state of the colonies and less distracted by a ream of history and minutiae of the Imperial administration. It's 9,500 words, and only drags in spots. I couldn't say why you might want it, but if you do it's available for download from the old Flat Black wiki in PDF and EPUB formats.
Has anyone read that who has any comment to make?

The text is about 9,650 words. That is a little longer than my target, which was 8,500 words (about what would lay out as ten pages in a GURPS book), but the target was arbitrary, and I don't wish to cut anything. And on the other hand when I lay it out for easy reading by middle-aged eyes the PDF comes to 15 pages of A4, and it would require no more paper to print out double-sided if I added about 800 words.

So is there anything substantial missing? A glossary, perhaps?
__________________

copyright Brett Evill
Discussion of Flat Black
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 04:06 PM   #228
Pomphis
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Default Re: Flat Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
Has anyone read that who has any comment to make?
IMO it could be longer. Happily I still have some of your older stuff, especially WRT history.

What I wonder about is how cheap space travel is. AFAICT this requires really cheap spaceships. Which in turn means that the empire could afford huge robot fleets. And how cheap can spaceships get compared to other stuff? They must be airtight, have full life support, need engines far more powerful than any truck or seaship, need electronics more powerful than any airliner. If I design spaceships with VE2, they get seriously expensive even without FTL drives.
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 06:20 PM   #229
Agemegos
 
Agemegos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Oz
Default Re: Flat Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomphis View Post
IMO it could be longer. Happily I still have some of your older stuff, especially WRT history.
I intend to produce a more thorough manual or guide to the setting, perhaps in parts. That's only supposed to be the introduction that you read as minimum to participate in a campaign.

Quote:
What I wonder about is how cheap space travel is. AFAICT this requires really cheap spaceships. Which in turn means that the empire could afford huge robot fleets. And how cheap can spaceships get compared to other stuff? They must be airtight, have full life support, need engines far more powerful than any truck or seaship, need electronics more powerful than any airliner. If I design spaceships with VE2, they get seriously expensive even without FTL drives.
I did some costing studies using GURPS Spaceships 4th and making what seem reasonable assumptions about duty cycle, amortisation, and maintenance. I reckon that on a thick route where you can keep a large ship reasonably full on a regular schedule the cost is about

Freight rate, per ton:
  • G$ 4.39 + G$ 3.64 per light-year in a large carrier
  • G$ 5.14 + G$ 4.92 per light-year in a SM+9 feeder

Fare, per compartment, no service
  • G$ 43.43 + G$ 48.53 per light-year in a large carrier
  • G$ 45.00 + G$ 54.05 per light-year in a SM+9 feeder

That's the economic cost of shipping, without any taxes or port fees, and without any monopoly profits to the line operators. And that's with Flat Black type ship operations: things would be cheaper if you could FTL from and into orbit, but might be costlier with Traveller-sized jump zones.
__________________

copyright Brett Evill
Discussion of Flat Black

Last edited by Agemegos; 12-30-2019 at 08:19 AM.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 03:49 AM   #230
Pomphis
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Default Re: Flat Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
And that's with Flat Black type ship operations: things would be cheaper if you could FTL from and into orbit, but might be costlier with Traveller-sized jump zones.
Thanks. Though the main difference may be the small size of the eichberger drives, you have 95% for everything else.
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
flat black, planetary romance, sci-fi

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.