Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-16-2016, 07:55 PM   #11
cptbutton

Default Re: [Magic] The weakest golems - The worst of ideas

I recall a "Rag Golem" figure in one of the Cardboard Heroes sets.
cptbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:26 PM   #12
Racer

Swordboy has mentioned a 'Flag Golem' and 'Towel Golems' he encountered . I expect the attack of the latter to be rolling itself up & cracking itself painfully against peoples buttocks ... ! 8-o

I suppose a Flag Golem could have a permanent Misdirection spell cast on it to give false signals ?

Thousands of Sugar Cube Golems could jump into your Tea unobserved , and slowly shorten your lifespan by making you obese ? ;-)

Last edited by Racer; 07-16-2016 at 11:29 PM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:15 AM   #13
Jose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
From GURPS Magic for 4th Edition:

Thus, your cheapest golem still costs 130 energy and has a character template worth [-60].
Damn. I can imagine GW prices on my wargaming golems ingame.
Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 03:50 AM   #14
Dalillama

Technomancer or one of the Magic Items books had golem action figures.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:25 AM   #15
Bruno

Weak, tiny golems is not a worst idea, it's "computers". Which means they need little or no ST, and should be as small as possible. It's a dangerous idea.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:52 AM   #16
VariousRen

The cost for the Golem spell seems to assume a single creation of decent value (not necessarily strong, but useful in some way even if the point values are low).

I wonder if a group of tiny golems should be treated as an ally group, instead of a single ally. Not sure how this would work mechanically and I don't have the Magic book open at the moment to take an educated guess, but it might be an interesting approach. A golem maker would animate a whole tiny squad of army men at once, with a point value the same as a bigger single ally.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:29 PM   #17
Racer

I quite like the idea of a talking Handbag/Manbag Golem - loudly & sarcastically commenting on everyday bag things :

" Really ? That shade of lipstick with THAT dress ?? "

" No I WILL NOT let have your wallet to buy a burger ! Your already busting out of those pants dude ! " etc .

Lay a Curse on it , so you can never rid yourself of it & the role-playing fun is just starting ! ;-)

Last edited by Racer; 07-18-2016 at 02:26 AM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:17 PM   #18
Flyndaran
Untagged

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0122718/
Small Soldiers from 1998. Tiny A.I. "dolls" "accidentally" given military CPUs follow their programming, and heart felt tragedy and comedy ensue.

Taking a page from Zombie spell, there is a Mass Zombie spell that gives an energy discount but requires all follow the same orders, I think.
Or the demon summing spell that summons a group of lesser creatures in a similar manner.
Group Golem spells sound interesting.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:27 AM   #19
Jose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0122718/
Small Soldiers from 1998. Tiny A.I. "dolls" "accidentally" given military CPUs follow their programming, and heart felt tragedy and comedy ensue.

Taking a page from Zombie spell, there is a Mass Zombie spell that gives an energy discount but requires all follow the same orders, I think.
Or the demon summing spell that summons a group of lesser creatures in a similar manner.
Group Golem spells sound interesting.
Very, I remember that movie. I like the ending: Slap a couple of extra 0's on and sell them in south america. And the hilarious improvised weapons.
Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:13 AM   #20
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
The phrase "a truck load of ST 1 golems" puts me in mind of those mass-produced Army men given mobility. And that makes me wonder whether there's a spell for that sort of thing in GURPS Technomancer - which I don't have ready access to at the moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Technomancer or one of the Magic Items books had golem action figures.
IIRC, they were called 'active figures' and had some flavor text with a whiny brat who wanted them real BAD (and something about the damage they can do if your kid lets they fight around anything breakable).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Weak, tiny golems is not a worst idea, it's "computers". Which means they need little or no ST, and should be as small as possible. It's a dangerous idea.
Kind of like the Imp-tech in Discworld, but generally less funny, and possibly taken further. Imagine a TL2^ Information Age.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
golem, magic