Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-04-2011, 09:21 AM   #1
BaHalus

Default Armor bought as Damage Resistance Advantage

I am trying to simulate a magic full plate armour using the DR advantage.

I want it to be able to be turned on and off (appear and vanishes).
To have the disadvantages of a full plate armour, like reaction modifier e reductions of basic speed.
As it is an armour, no other armour may be used.

For the basic speed I put:
Temporary disadvantage (4 levels of Reduced Basic speed) -20%

---

But I am in serious doubt abit the other things:
A nuisance effect of -4 would fit the reaction modifier, but I don't know if the standart value of -20% would be adequate, because it only works in certain situations, like outside a battle. maybe a -10% would be fair?

---

Can't wear armour would be a sure thing, but in its descriptions it is said that the PC wouldn't be allowed to wear clothes. He would need to become naked to use this! I don't want this! -30% would be a good modifier here?

Can't wear armour (clothes and conceable armour allowed) -30%

---

Now I need to be able to take out the armour!
I have to take switchable for DR (I imagine that I need)?

I don't know if one level takes extra time would fit, because of the switchable ampliation. But two or more levels would fit? Or I need to buy Switclable AND takes extra time? It would make take 2 seconds for no modifier.

On the other hand
If I take reflexive, I don't have to take switchable, right?

Another doubt.
Limitations and ampliations about speed (reflexive and takes extra time) affects both activation and deactivation?

With reflexive ou Reduced time, I can instantly take armour on and off?
With Takes Extra time, I takes, like 4 seconds to wear e more 4 seconds to take off the armour?

-----------
Takes extra time requires a ready maneuver along all the time of activation, right? How can I make an armour tha don't appear instantly, but that don't requires the ready maneuver in the meantime?

-----------
How can I make a fade in, fade out effect?
A fade in could be like: 1 DR in the 1st turn, +2DR in the 2nd turn, +4DR in the 3rd turn, +8RD in the 4th turn for a total of 15DR.

Or: 2DR in 1st turn, +2DR in 2nd turn, +2DR in 3rd turn for a total 6DR.
BaHalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:29 AM   #2
Desthro

Default Re: Armor bought as Damage Resistance Advantage

Everything sounds pretty good, as for making it appear 4 seconds later, as a GM i would say that the armor isn't functional untill those 4 seconds pass, and call it a "flavor" effect that the armor appears slowly pioece by piece during that time.
Desthro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:47 AM   #3
Langy

I'd call the armor 'fading in' a nuisance effect, probably -10%. So, if it takes five seconds for the DR to become solid and you get 10 DR from the suit, I might stat it up like this:

Damage Resistance 10 (Can't Wear Armor (Clothing and Concealable Armor Allowed, -30%; Switchable, +10%; Temporary Disadvantage (Reduced Basic Speed -1.00), -20%; Nuisance Effect (Armor Fades In) -10%) [28].
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
Bruno

Delay (page 105) is a 0% enhancement if it's a fixed duration delay. "My ability always takes 5 seconds after I pull the trigger to go off", or "My grenades have a 6 second timer" or whatever.

Having different levels of DR or different hit locations have different Delays is very much the same, as long as it's allways consistent. If you have no choice, you have to have the breastplate phase in before the helmet, and then the shin guard and then the arm guards (or whatever) then I'd say that's a quite valid interpretation.

Same with having DR 2 show up 1 second later, DR 4 1 second after that, DR 6 one second after THAT, then DR 8 on the fourth second. Or whatever.

=====

Halving the value for the Temporary Disadvantage: Reaction Penalty because it only applies in "social" situations I think is a very good approach. It seems like a good reduction, appropriate to the ability. It encourages the player to not walk around wearing armor ALL THE TIME, meaning that 4 second delay in activation is relevant. ;)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
Anaraxes

Since the main magical effect seems to be appearance and disappearance, you might consider an alternative build using regular armor (gear) and a Payload ability to have a pocket into which the armor disappears.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #6
Dinadon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaHalus View Post
I am trying to simulate a magic full plate armour using the DR advantage.

I want it to be able to be turned on and off (appear and vanishes).
To have the disadvantages of a full plate armour, like reaction modifier e reductions of basic speed.
As it is an armour, no other armour may be used.

For the basic speed I put:
Temporary disadvantage (4 levels of Reduced Basic speed) -20%
Armor doesn't normally reduce Basic Speed. It may reduce Basic Move or Dodge, but certainly not Basic Speed. But it's magic, so fair enough.
Quote:

But I am in serious doubt abit the other things:
A nuisance effect of -4 would fit the reaction modifier, but I don't know if the standart value of -20% would be adequate, because it only works in certain situations, like outside a battle. maybe a -10% would be fair?
Or just use another Temporary Disadvantage for a negative reaction.
Quote:
Can't wear armour would be a sure thing, but in its descriptions it is said that the PC wouldn't be allowed to wear clothes. He would need to become naked to use this! I don't want this! -30% would be a good modifier here?

Can't wear armour (clothes and conceable armour allowed) -30%
No new modifier required, being able to wear clothes is a Perk.
Quote:
Now I need to be able to take out the armour!
I have to take switchable for DR (I imagine that I need)?
Switchable is only required if you have no other modifiers that would cause an ability to turn on and off.
Quote:
I don't know if one level takes extra time would fit, because of the switchable ampliation. But two or more levels would fit? Or I need to buy Switclable AND takes extra time? It would make take 2 seconds for no modifier.
Takes Extra Time only makes sense when you need to activate the ability. You need both Switchable and Takes Extra Time since this is normally a passive ability.
Quote:
On the other hand
If I take reflexive, I don't have to take switchable, right?
Without Switchable your ability is passive and thus always on. Reflexive only works on abilities you can activate.
Quote:
Another doubt.
Limitations and ampliations about speed (reflexive and takes extra time) affects both activation and deactivation?

With reflexive ou Reduced time, I can instantly take armour on and off?
With Takes Extra time, I takes, like 4 seconds to wear e more 4 seconds to take off the armour?
Certainly for activation, and probably yes for deactivation.
Quote:
Takes extra time requires a ready maneuver along all the time of activation, right? How can I make an armour tha don't appear instantly, but that don't requires the ready maneuver in the meantime?
Hard to say. I can't find anything in the RAW. What I would say is that if something has both Takes Extra Time and Reflexive then there is no need to actually use a ready maneuver to activate it. If you do decide to activate with a ready maneuver the time will be reduced, as per Reflexive.
Quote:
How can I make a fade in, fade out effect?
A fade in could be like: 1 DR in the 1st turn, +2DR in the 2nd turn, +4DR in the 3rd turn, +8RD in the 4th turn for a total of 15DR.

Or: 2DR in 1st turn, +2DR in 2nd turn, +2DR in 3rd turn for a total 6DR.
You would do this similarly for abilities with variable FP costs, but obviously using Takes Extra Time instead of Costs FP. Unfortunately can't remember where this is at the moment.
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:04 AM   #7
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Delay (page 105) is a 0% enhancement if it's a fixed duration delay. "My ability always takes 5 seconds after I pull the trigger to go off", or "My grenades have a 6 second timer" or whatever.

Having different levels of DR or different hit locations have different Delays is very much the same, as long as it's allways consistent. If you have no choice, you have to have the breastplate phase in before the helmet, and then the shin guard and then the arm guards (or whatever) then I'd say that's a quite valid interpretation.

Same with having DR 2 show up 1 second later, DR 4 1 second after that, DR 6 one second after THAT, then DR 8 on the fourth second. Or whatever.
That's just silly. Having the armor slowly boot up is quite obviously a disadvantage and should bring in some small amount of points back; there's no situation I can think of where having the armor phase in could be a 'good' thing. If it's honestly limiting (and it is), then it should have some kind of limitation value.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:07 AM   #8
Kale

Isn't the fade in something like 'takes extra time'?
Old 03-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #9
Dinadon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I'm not certain this is really an appropriate Attack limitation to port over to a non-attack. Having 2 DR now is always better than 2 DR later when you are under attack, especially when you can't resort to other forms of DR. With an attack you can always just switch to a different one if you need to kill someone right now, but other people can exploit your slowly forming DR.
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:15 AM   #10
Bruno

In retrospect (and while trying to write up my train of thought above), y'all are pretty right - but I'll note that the DR comes with a bunch of Temporary disadvantages, which I was assuming would "phase in" along with the DR.

It allows for things like "OK, we're 30 yards away from them, I'll spend the second to activate my armor NOW, and start running while it's still phasing in, covering way more ground, instead of having to spend an action while I'm already in melee combat with them over there."
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ampliations, armour, damage resistance, fade, limitations