Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-22-2018, 07:01 PM   #1
scc

Default [DF] Setting With Recovering Magic

OK, a bit of background is in order. D&D concept of a Prime Material Plane has always suggested to me that there are other Material Planes, why else call one Prime?

So my idea for a 'setting' for a DF game is a secondary Material Plane, one that was colonized at some point in the past by some, but not all, of the races through a series of naturally occurring portals, which allows me to place races in areas where they wouldn't normally be found (Elves living in a desert anyone?). Later on these portals went away which had 3 major consequences:
1) Trade with the homeworld went away, which had effects not dissimilar to the fall of Rome
2) Magic went away as the mana was coming through the portals.
3) In relation to (2), access to the gods of the colonists was lost, which functionally means all access to the gods was lost. There were some surviving dark and primal native gods, but with no magic even their power was greatly diminished.

OK so now it's 200 years later and things have calmed down a lot, magic has returned, and some new gods have been born or whatever.

First problem: These new gods are weak, their very portfolio limited, generally have limited spatial scope, but most importantly they can't invest much power, meaning that more power divine spell casters only have 1 or 2 levels of Power Investiture, beyond that they have something else, that represents a personal ability to make better use of whatever your god sends you. I imagine that there are probably two version of this, one an enhanced version of Magery and the other stand alone. This last actually suggests the existence of Saints as well, people who can produce results similar or identical to that of a Claric, but without a dive patron. How much do people figure there traits should cost?

Magic, I'm basically going to need two systems, one for the old magic and one for new. My first is standard magic and ritual magic respectively, because the magic systems should have overlap, although I'll probably go with altered spells and spell lists. Do note that this provides a good reason to go delving, to recover (hopefully usable) magic items and spells.

Which brings me to the last bit: How much of a mark-up should recovered magic items get? I'm talking every thing from one-use potions, to permanent magic items like magic weapons and spell casting items?

In particular, and this can apply to DF in general, how much do you think Powerstones should be marked up?
scc is offline   Reply With Quote