Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 06-30-2017, 07:41 PM   #1
TheOneRonin

Default Private Game for Jericho Group - Zombie Apocalypse [IC]

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth.” -George Romero

7:49 AM EST, July 15th, 2017 - St. Augustine, Florida - Craig Funeral Home

Kai pulled into the parking lot of the Craig Funeral Home and Crematory. It was a nice looking place off the San Lorenzo Cemetery. They tried to make the place peaceful. He parked his car, a Toyota Highlander facing the memorial park. He had gotten the SUV due to its safety ratings and reliability combined with its slight ruggedness for when the job calls him out to the beach or marsh to release a body. He had arrived early for Helen’s funeral so that he could spend some time on the grounds. Headstones were arranged in rows, each marking a person who had passed. It was peaceful and a side of death that Kai did not often get to see in his profession. As one of seven medical examiners for Miami, he spent a lot of his time looking at people who had died violently; people that had been shot in a gang fight or had overdosed on drugs.The little markers showed no indication of how the person had left this world; no signs of how violent death can be. Nothing to show that this person passed quietly in the night or that person was killed because two inept burglars thought the house was empty and shot the residents when they were surprised. Here everyone was equal.
He couldn’t help but feel that he had failed Helen. If only he had come up to St. Augustine when he first heard Helen was sick, he could have done something. By the time she was in the hospital and he came up, it was already too late. She’d had flu like symptoms, which can rapidly turn serious for someone of her age. But he had selfishly put off making the five hour drive up so he could continue working. After all she had done, she certainly deserved better than he had given her.

Kai took a seat on a wooden bench next to a small fountain and closed his eyes, listening to the water as it flowed down the fountain and feeling guilty. He wondered if Ashley would be coming to the funeral. They had met while he was in college and had only been married for a few short years before it became clear that they were not looking for the same things. The divorce had been amicable, helped by the fact that he did not want any of her family’s substantial amount of money and that her father, Richard, still liked him and was still trying to get him to quit working for Miami and come work for the Carlyle Medical Group. Ashley wanted him to go into one of the high profile fields of medicine, like neurosurgery and was not happy with his decision to be a forensic pathology, a profession she thought was gross and kind of creepy. She had married again about two years ago to a cardio-thoracic surgeon in Ft. Lauderdale. Kai thought his name was Robert Cord, Dr. Bob.

As for himself, Kai hadn’t really had a lot of time for socializing. After the divorce, he really threw himself into his work, picking up extra shifts when he could… And working with corpses turned out to be a turn off for most women. It kept his social circle small, mostly coworkers and associates. There were occasional dates, but nothing that ever went anywhere. Well, the circle was now one person smaller than it had been. With a sigh, Kai got back up, it was about time to head inside and get things ready for the rest of the family.
TheOneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:57 PM   #2
TheOneRonin

Default Re: Private Game for Jericho Group - Zombie Apocalypse [IC]

Most of these folks I never seen around the house growin up. I wonder who they all are? thought Kelsey as she smiled, shook hands, and gave hugs to all of those present to mourn Helen Allen...a woman Kelsey had called "momma" for the past 20 years. She hadn't in Florida since she left almost a decade ago...right after Kai's undergrad graduation and right before she received her acceptance letter from Texas A&M University.

Wait a minute...is that' Kai in the flesh? Kelsey cut a bee-line directly for the doctor who was in the middle of dressing a Styrofoam cup of funeral home coffee in an effort to make it palatable.

"FLY-DOCTOR KAI! How the hell are ya!" Kesley practically shouts as she gives the good doctor a huge bear hug from behind, nearly spilling his coffee.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:17 PM   #3
Rhoopes73

As much as they were paying for the funeral services, you'd think the coffee would at least be Starbucks quality. Kai poured another two packets of sugar into the coffee and a non-dairy creamer. Creamer was a bit of misnomer as there was nothing cream about it. Corn syrup for sweetness, oils for consistency, and monoglycerides and diglycerides as emulsifyers. That and some thickeners and stabilizers. He had just about gotten it to tolerable when he was grabbed from behind, nearly spilling the hot coffee.

"FLY-DOCTOR KAI! How the hell are ya!" Kesley practically shouts as she gives the good doctor a huge bear hug from behind. He had not heard her voice in about a decade, but he knew it. She had developed a bit of a twang, living out in Texas.

"Not to be too blunt, Kel, but I am at a funeral," he replied. Many of the visitors were staring at the two of them. He set the coffee down and turned to give her a hug back. "I am glad you could make it, though."
Rhoopes73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 09:42 PM   #4
MHLouviere

I should have taken the earlier flight, maybe even came in yesterday. Then I wouldn’t be so tired from getting on a red-eye flight, driving in all that damn construction in Jacksonville and getting here in a rush. I hate rushing…I hate flying…I hate…every damn thing!

Sam puts the rental car in park and flips down the visor to check her appearance. After flipping the visor back up, she lays her head back on the headrest and closes her eyes…Deep breaths Sam, deep breaths…

Sam makes two fists, then opens her hands and wiggles her fingers…a nervous tick she does in the locker room before a fight. She glances over to the right and sees a water fountain and bench. A good place to escape to later. Why am I so damn nervous? I hate being nervous…I hate funerals…I hate…every damn thing!

Maybe this is a joke. Helen has always tried to get us all back together for the holidays. She faked her death and we all walk in. She will be standing there with her hands on her hips…always had her hands on the hips.

Walking through the doors of the funeral home, Sam glances around at all the people coming to pay their respects. The heaviness and agitation she was feeling moments before started to ease a little. All these lives, she touched. None as much as her and her siblings…catching up with them would be best part of these nightmarish events. When she heard that Helen was sick, she couldn’t bring herself to visit. Watching her grandmother deteriorate was something she never truly dealt with and she couldn’t face that again. When she called Helen to try and explain, Helen interrupted her with reassurance and understanding. Always reassuring; always understanding.

Taking a step up to the podium, Sam picked up the pen to sign the guest book, “Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.” – Sam I Am. She looked over the names quickly…Kai. Of course he is here first. She didn’t get to find any more names before she heard a familiar, talking too loud for the occasion, voice…Kelsey. With an inward groan, but outward smile, Sam headed towards the voice…here we go.
MHLouviere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:00 PM   #5
iSandRocks

I hate saturdays. I was incarcerated on a saturday. i was surrendered to the state by my birth parents on a saturday. Now i'm here at the funeral of the only person who ever gave a damn. i really hate saturdays.

Frank pulls up to the funeral home and gets out of a rental car that looks like it was held together with duct tape and shoelaces. He checks his pocket for an old beat up tracfone he got from clint. on the screen it reads VOICEMAIL FULL. "What the hell clint" frank grumbled as he put the phone on silent and makes his way to the door.

I should probably keep my head down. I'm not sure who knows i was in prison the last few years but either way i don't really want to talk about it.

As frank moves inside he tries to disappear in the crowd of people and make his way to a seat close to the front.
iSandRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:33 PM   #6
Slepnair

****ing accidents, I would have been here over an hour ago if traffic hadn't been so bad.

Mike pulled up to the Funeral Home feeling very nervous, and trying to ignore the guild he felt that he hadn't come to visit more, and had tried to stay away while Helen was sick because he was afraid. He couldn't bring himself to show up, he couldn't lose another mother.

After finding a parking spot, Mike got out of the Subaru Impreza WRX STI hatchback he had recently bought and stretched a little. Looking down he saw a grease spot on his shirt. "Damn... maybe the tie will cover it." Once giving up trying to cover the stain up with his tie, Mike walked up to the building but couldn't walk in yet.

After a few minutes he took a deep breath. Alright.. here we go. Mike walked in, signed the guest book and looked around to see who else was there.

Last edited by Slepnair; 07-02-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Slepnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 02:46 PM   #7
TheOneRonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoopes73 View Post
As much as they were paying for the funeral services, you'd think the coffee would at least be Starbucks quality. Kai poured another two packets of sugar into the coffee and a non-dairy creamer. Creamer was a bit of misnomer as there was nothing cream about it. Corn syrup for sweetness, oils for consistency, and monoglycerides and diglycerides as emulsifyers. That and some thickeners and stabilizers. He had just about gotten it to tolerable when he was grabbed from behind, nearly spilling the hot coffee.

"FLY-DOCTOR KAI! How the hell are ya!" Kesley practically shouts as she gives the good doctor a huge bear hug from behind. He had not heard her voice in about a decade, but he knew it. She had developed a bit of a twang, living out in Texas.

"Not to be too blunt, Kel, but I am at a funeral," he replied. Many of the visitors were staring at the two of them. He set the coffee down and turned to give her a hug back. "I am glad you could make it, though."

Kelsey's demeanor instantly changed as though she finally realized she was at a funeral.

"That's right...ugh, I'm all hat and no cattle this morning. I left Conroe last night and drove straight on through. I can't help but feel guilty that I didn't make it here sooner."

Kelsey sniffled and cleared rapidly forming tears from her eyes.

"I suppose bein' in Miami you were here before the rest of us, huh?"
Old 07-02-2017, 03:02 PM   #8
MHLouviere

Sam approaches Kai and Kelsey. “Hello Kai, Kelsey. It is good to see you both, just under the most unfortunate circumstances. It is amazing to see all the lives that are here to celebrate Helen. How is the coffee, Kai?”
MHLouviere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:45 AM   #9
Rhoopes73

Quote:
Kelsey's demeanor instantly changed as though she finally realized she was at a funeral.

"That's right...ugh, I'm all hat and no cattle this morning. I left Conroe last night and drove straight on through. I can't help but feel guilty that I didn't make it here sooner."

Kelsey sniffled and cleared rapidly forming tears from her eyes.

"I suppose bein' in Miami you were here before the rest of us, huh?"
"Yeah. I know how you feel. I headed up when she was admitted to the hospital. Unfortunately, these things can move fast, especially in older patients and there was nothing to be done by the time I got here." Kai held her hand. Human contact helps in times like these. Kelsey had some healthy lungs and did everything loud, including crying.

Quote:
Sam approaches Kai and Kelsey. “Hello Kai, Kelsey. It is good to see you both, just under the most unfortunate circumstances. It is amazing to see all the lives that are here to celebrate Helen. How is the coffee, Kai?”
"Sam, it's great to see you, too." Kai let go of Kelsey's hand and hugged Sam. "I think the coffee is how they get repeat customers. Lucky for me, I have built up a tolerance to bad coffee working as an M.E.
Rhoopes73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:14 AM   #10
Slepnair

As Mike walked in he began to scan the faces of those there looking for anyone familiar that me might actually want to talk to. As he was scanning the crowed he saw 3 familiar faces, 2 of which at least, he was happy to see.

Kai and Sam.. at least I haven't run into Frank yet..

He began walking over to the trio with his hands in his pockets. "Sam, Kai, Kelsey, it's good to see you three. I wish it were on better circumstances, but she always say she'd get us together again one day. Has anyone else shown up?"
Slepnair is offline   Reply With Quote