Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2018, 02:52 PM   #11
Jim Kane
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Default Re: Pre-Gen cards and Character sheet pads

Looking over these sheets as shown on the Kickstarter, I am curious, as Melee has no IQ attribute, and yet, the Melee Character pad includes the IQ attribute. I can only surmise this is in fact designed for non-wizards using the full ITL system in the future; OR, has IQ been added in the re-edit of Melee?

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:38 PM   #12
Kirk
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Default Re: Pre-Gen cards and Character sheet pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
Looking over these sheets as shown on the Kickstarter, I am curious, as Melee has no IQ attribute, and yet, the Melee Character pad includes the IQ attribute. I can only surmise this is in fact designed for non-wizards using the full ITL system in the future; OR, has IQ been added in the re-edit of Melee?

JK
Yep, Jim, exactly part of my point. Why isn't there just one type of pad for characters that has ST, DX, IQ, hits taken, armor, weaponry, etc. with the right side labeled Talent/Spells and the back side of the sheet for whatever notes the player or GM needs to make. If someone hasn't graduated to IQ elements yet, it can be left blank or an 8 put in.

Not much different than the current Wiz ones, just made to be for whatever character might be designed, all in a neat looking quick pad format. Experienced campaigners can use the flip side for rations, items, etc.

That is, the pad is a great idea, just have Character Pad sheets of one type instead of the current two somewhat artificially split between heroes and fighters.

It makes things simpler from a production and consumption perpective, makes balancing use of one (gee still have two full pads of Wizard pads, out of Fighter pads OR "Stop using Wiz pads for your Fighter characters!" "But there is room for my Talents and stuff...").
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:11 PM   #13
philreed
Chief Executive Officer
 
philreed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Pre-Gen cards and Character sheet pads

The Melee and Wizard character pads are not the character sheets.

These are for someone who wants to create quick, disposable characters for a simple skirmish. These are not the full character sheets.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:43 PM   #14
schoon
 
schoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Oakland, CA, USA
Default Re: Pre-Gen cards and Character sheet pads

On the other hand, I love the size and look of the pre-gen, character cards.

I'd love to see something like that - maybe reusable - for PCs.
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:57 PM   #15
Jim Kane
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Default Re: Pre-Gen cards and Character sheet pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
Yep, Jim, exactly part of my point. Why isn't there just one type of pad for characters that has ST, DX, IQ, hits taken, armor, weaponry, etc. with the right side labeled Talent/Spells and the back side of the sheet for whatever notes the player or GM needs to make.
I simply wouldn't know anything about that Kirk.

I am however, trying to get an answer to my question of: As the "Melee Character Record Pads" as shown on the Kickstarter page are illustrating the inclusion of an IQ attribute slot for Melee figures - even though original Melee does not have or use the IQ attribute - is this then indicating that the new Melee rules have added the IQ attribute and IQ rules to Melee?

That's the simple yes or no answer I am interested in learning.

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:57 PM   #16
ak_aramis
 
ak_aramis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Alsea, OR
Default Re: Pre-Gen cards and Character sheet pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
The Melee and Wizard character pads are not the character sheets.

These are for someone who wants to create quick, disposable characters for a simple skirmish. These are not the full character sheets.
It's not like ITL characters don't fit on 35 cards anyway - expect those pads to be used for PC's even in some people's ITL campaigns.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:05 AM   #17
zot
 
Join Date: May 2018
Default Re: Pre-Gen cards and Character sheet pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
Looking over these sheets as shown on the Kickstarter, I am curious, as Melee has no IQ attribute, and yet, the Melee Character pad includes the IQ attribute. I can only surmise this is in fact designed for non-wizards using the full ITL system in the future; OR, has IQ been added in the re-edit of Melee?

JK
Steve actually mentioned this in one of the videos. IQ is so that when a Melee character goes up against a Wizard character, he/she can disbelieve illusions, resist Control spells, etc.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:17 AM   #18
Jim Kane
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Default Re: Pre-Gen cards and Character sheet pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
Steve actually mentioned this in one of the videos.
That pretty big news Zot.

Do you have a link to the video you are citing, where you say SJ mentions he is changing the Melee rules to now include IQ for figures in the new edition of Melee?

Thanks

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:25 AM   #19
zot
 
Join Date: May 2018
Default Re: Pre-Gen cards and Character sheet pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
That pretty big news Zot.

Do you have a link to the video you are citing, where you say SJ mentions he is changing the Melee rules to now include IQ for figures in the new edition of Melee?

Thanks

JK
He's not changing the Melee rules. It's for when you want to use a Melee character in Wizard. Checking on the link -- I think he made a comment about either the character cards or the pad in one of the three facebook Melee demo vids.

Here's the link It was a card that's "got everything on it that you have to have to fight Melee, and an IQ score, just in case they have to face wizards". I'm extrapolating that the pads have IQ for the same reason as the cards. You can watch for yourself and see what you think.

Last edited by zot; 08-09-2018 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Updated with link to video
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:03 AM   #20
Jim Kane
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Default Re: Pre-Gen cards and Character sheet pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
He's not changing the Melee rules. It's for when you want to use a Melee character in Wizard.
And *Melee Characters* do not have the IQ attribute...

And that's what begs the question: Have the Melee rules have been changed to now include the IQ attribute, as that would logically jibe with what is shown for the data fields which appear on the *Melee Character* record pads; as illustrated.

JK

PS- Thanks for the link. I know you are trying to be informative and helpful, but I think it's always best to avoid speculation and wait for confirmation, and certainly in this question of IQ and the rules-set for Melee... as the *Melee character* Record Pads have specifically accounted for - let's wait and see; shall we?

Last edited by Jim Kane; 08-09-2018 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Typo
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.