Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 01-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #21
Polydamas

Default Re: The British Warehouse 23

Several curious stone, iron, and bronze artifacts excavated from the island of Anglesey and dating to the first century AD. Attached is a report that one of the excavators went mad and attempted to burn his diggers alive.

Dr. Dee's black stone? The one in the British Museum could be misattributed, though the fact that its an Aztec relic is interesting of itself http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore...es_mirror.aspx

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:19 AM   #22
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarkstomper View Post
An antique silver creamer in the shape of a cow.

A trophy cup with the incription: Drones Club Darts Tournament 1954
Very good!

• A set of blank white dinner plates. Label "Aberystwyth, 1967".

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:21 AM   #23
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcamp View Post
A severed head of unusually large size. It shows no sign of dessication or decay.
Which occasionally speaks in archaic Welsh.

Quote:
Located near the above item - a wooden crate containing the fragments of a very large cast iron cauldron.
More likely bronze or copper, I should think.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:54 AM   #24
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Not that I don't appreciate the references to some of my favorite characters like Bertie Wooster and Willie Garvin, but isn't "Warehouse X" supposed to deal with weird science and eldritch horror and such? I can think of no reason why something with only historical or sentimental value would be given room in such a repository.

(Yes, I know that one could posit that these items have somehow gained weird and wonderful properties, but then you're adding new content to the original stories.)

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:54 AM   #25
Spudzill

Bronze Plaque Commemorating the exploits of His Majesty's Royal Americans c. 1918 at the somme.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #26
lwcamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
Which occasionally speaks in archaic Welsh.
PC 1: "Hey mate! What's he trying to say?"
PC 2: "Can't tell you, old chap. Can't understand a word of it."
PC 3: "Cor! 'E's got all them effs an double ells an such. Must be Welsh."

If Bran is still talking, there could be a voice-activated microphone set up, and an archive of wax cylinders, cassette tapes, CD's and flash drives. Not to mention an expert on call who can speak archaic Welsh. The head may have been as important radar during the Battle of Britain in predicting when and where the Luftwaffe were coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
More likely bronze or copper, I should think.
If it is truly shattered, it is probably not copper - copper's too ductile (of course it was shattered by magic, so you could explain anything that way).

On the other hand, having it next to the head might just be a bit of misdirection on the GM's part. It is actually the remains of the cauldron used by three witches during the regicide of king Duncan of Scotland. The PC's think the cauldron (after it is stolen by the bad guy) will bring back an army of the dead, instead it is being used to instigate another regicide - this time against the British crown. In the aftermath, have an expert in Celtic metalworking berate them for their ignorance.

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:49 AM   #27
Spudzill

Strange, steam-powered frame with a large brass disk and a chair. Sign next to it says: Alleged Time Machine. Out of Order.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #28
Spudzill

Large Rocket. Upon closer examination a manufacturing date of 1937 at Liverpool shipyards, Ministry of Space.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #29
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Rancke-Madsen View Post
Not that I don't appreciate the references to some of my favorite characters like Bertie Wooster and Willie Garvin, but isn't "Warehouse X" supposed to deal with weird science and eldritch horror and such? I can think of no reason why something with only historical or sentimental value would be given room in such a repository.
In the case of On the Dynamics of an Asteroid (Moriarty's famous work), one theory raised by Isaac Asimov was that the professor had been seeking a way to turn the Earth into a second asteroid belt. Weird and horrific enough?

(Meanwhile, Post-Mortem was meant to be a Moriarty journal written after his plunge ... heaven only knows what might be in there....)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:49 PM   #30
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
In the case of On the Dynamics of an Asteroid (Moriarty's famous work), one theory raised by Isaac Asimov was that the professor had been seeking a way to turn the Earth into a second asteroid belt. Weird and horrific enough?
Certainly. I knew about Asimov's theory. Moriarty is just the sort of person to get involved in Things Man Was Not Meant To Know. You'll notice I didn't mention Moriarty. Iwas just saying that I find it much less plausible that Willie Garvin's knives or an 18th Century silver cow-creamer would be of interest to the shadowy owners of a Warehouse Umpteen. That's why I don't submit three small triangular flags featuring a skull&crossbones, a swallow, and a beetle or a monocle that is actually a strong magnifying glass.

Please don't think I'm trying to prevent anyone from submitting whatever they feel like. I just feel entitled to demur if someone suggests a walking stick that can turn into a hammer (not British) or a calling card with a haloed stick figure on it (not weird).

To paraphrase Bertie Wooster, YM is more than welcome to V.

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
britain, british, conspiracy, warehouse 23