Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-23-2018, 06:46 PM   #11
Xergrell

Default Re: Minimum Weapon Damage?

Yes I am of the opinion that the minimum should be 1 point if you hit with a weapon not 0. I mean if I stab someone with a dagger they are going to take damage if I hit them I would think.
Xergrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:59 PM   #12
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xergrell View Post
Yes I am of the opinion that the minimum should be 1 point if you hit with a weapon not 0. I mean if I stab someone with a dagger they are going to take damage if I hit them I would think.
What about armor?

I could see an exception to the minimum damage = 0 concept, for, say, poisoned weapons -- in those cases, if you hit (even a character in armor), there should be at least some chance that the poison could take effect, even if the damage from the physical attack is 0.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:15 PM   #13
Xergrell

If they have armor on then of course it is subtracted and can resulting in the damage being stopped by the armor but you still did damage. It just seems “wrong” counter intuitive to me to succeed on your roll to hit but roll 0 damage.
Xergrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:20 PM   #14
JLV

I'm not sure why you feel that way though. I've been in a number of fist-fights (in my MUCH younger -- and stupider -- days) and have frequently seen "hits" landed where zero damage was done. And that's the most likely situation in which this issue will crop up.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:06 AM   #15
Helborn

Don't think of it as "no damage" but rather as "no damage that contributes to death". You may have given the opponent a black eye or some bruises but these will not be fatal. This can lead to some good role-playing -does it arouse sympathy or revulsion?