Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-23-2018, 07:07 AM   #1
Wayne

Default Death test map

Hi,
I tried running a party through death test tonight (they died but they were only beginning characters).
I was getting all mixed up. Is there a map of the test somewhere on the interwebs? With room colour, numbers, and relationships shown.
It would be very handy for befuddled GMs.
Thanks,
Wayne
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:39 AM   #2
platimus

Default Re: Death test map

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Hi,
I tried running a party through death test tonight (they died but they were only beginning characters).
I was getting all mixed up. Is there a map of the test somewhere on the interwebs? With room colour, numbers, and relationships shown.
It would be very handy for befuddled GMs.
Thanks,
Wayne
I second this request. For my use, it need not be very elaborate. Circles with numbers (option text) for the rooms and lines connecting the circles representing how the rooms are connected.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:43 AM   #3
malchidael

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
I second this request. For my use, it need not be very elaborate. Circles with numbers (option text) for the rooms and lines connecting the circles representing how the rooms are connected.
Tracking through the options on an adventure like this can be very challenging (Security Station is the worst I've tried).

I put together a sketch map of DT1. I am pretty sure it's accurate and won't lead you into a horrible, ugly death (wait - this is Death Test - of course it will lead you into a horrible, ugly death).

Just don't tell the Thorsz. I don't want to get Captain Ayoch in trouble again.

Spoiler - Map of Death Test 1 - don't click if you don't want to see.

Powers-that-be - if you want me to remove it, just let me know.
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:56 AM   #4
Skarg

The programmed adventures are written the way they are to give you the experience of being trapped in a deadly maze. It's supposed to be part of the challenge of play that you find your way out without being given a map.

All it takes is a player glancing at the map once some time in the past for them to have a huge bird's-eye view of how the place is laid out, which removes that effect.

You don't really need a map to GM it, either, as long as you note which rooms have been visited already and what state they were left in. However yeah it could help a GM. And a GM with a map could even track things going on in the labyrinth on the map, such as the locations of other adventurers as they move about at the same time...
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:33 PM   #5
ecz

thanks for the map,
I imagine you also have a DT2 board... any link to it?
Old 09-23-2018, 01:59 PM   #6
pyratejohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by malchidael View Post
(Security Station is the worst I've tried).
Security Station. When I ran my wife and kids through that they hit "the Nightmare Loop" and could NOT find their way out. I spent a good four or five hours going over it with a fine toothed comb before I finally found the one crucial missing door. Not fun.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:45 PM   #7
malchidael

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecz View Post
thanks for the map,
I imagine you also have a DT2 board... any link to it?
No - and oddly enough, I didn't have the DT1 map until about a half hour before I posted it.

Years of repeated forays have left indelible images of those dungeons in my brain.

I can't recall how many dozens of corpses my brothers and I left in the two Death Tests. Those were glorious years!

Hopefully, once the full rules drop in October, those years will return.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:53 PM   #8
malchidael

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyratejohn View Post
Security Station. When I ran my wife and kids through that they hit "the Nightmare Loop" and could NOT find their way out. I spent a good four or five hours going over it with a fine toothed comb before I finally found the one crucial missing door. Not fun.
Security Station is the one classic programmed adventure we had never finished successfully.

Earlier this year, I was hoping to do a fully detailed map for Security Station. Grabbed a sheet of paper from a flip chart, and started walking through it.

Forward and backwards, because the gates don't always return you to where you came from.

I gave up.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:09 PM   #9
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by malchidael View Post
Tracking through the options on an adventure like this can be very challenging (Security Station is the worst I've tried).

I put together a sketch map of DT1. I am pretty sure it's accurate and won't lead you into a horrible, ugly death (wait - this is Death Test - of course it will lead you into a horrible, ugly death).

Just don't tell the Thorsz. I don't want to get Captain Ayoch in trouble again.

Spoiler - Map of Death Test 1 - don't click if you don't want to see.

Powers-that-be - if you want me to remove it, just let me know.
Fantastic! Thanks!
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:00 PM   #10
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Hi,
I tried running a party through death test tonight (they died but they were only beginning characters). ...
Hi Wayne,
Death Test is intended to kill off beginning characters and let experienced (and lucky) people survive. If you want to survive the adventure, I recommend a party of 4 x 36 attribute figures.

I got thru DT with 4 x 32 attribute figures ONCE. They all went up an attribute so I sent the same party in (now 4 x 33 attribute figures), and they got creamed.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote