Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-21-2018, 12:25 PM   #51
Anaraxes

Default Re: The Cartesian Heresy

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
Here's a graph showing what I don't like about the "1-2" counting method:
The 1-2 method (as I learned it) means keeping global track of where you are in that 1-2 cycle. Every other diagonal you move costs 2, even if it's not the second of two diagonals in a row, with intervening non-diagonal moves. I count 10 along the blue winding path you show. (MA expended per square: 1-2-4-5-6-7-9-10.)

You can also make it a "2-1" system.

Strictly speaking, you should carry over that state from turn to turn, but leftover MA being lost at the end of a turn is a problem you have with any system that uses values greater than 1.

Last edited by Anaraxes; 09-21-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:56 PM   #52
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
The 1-2 method (as I learned it) means keeping global track of where you are in that 1-2 cycle. Every other diagonal you move costs 2, even if it's not the second of two diagonals in a row, with intervening non-diagonal moves. I count 10 along the blue winding path you show. (MA expended per square: 1-2-4-5-6-7-9-10.)

You can also make it a "2-1" system.

Strictly speaking, you should carry over that state from turn to turn, but leftover MA being lost at the end of a turn is a problem you have with any system that uses values greater than 1.
Yes, that prevents the problem shown in my graph. I am under the impression that a lot of people don't do it that way. To be honest, if you do it the way you are describing, it becomes more difficult to execute and prone to errors than the 2/3 method (comparing to the 1-2 cycle). The 2/3 method is so much easier for me.

The 2-1 cycle could work. I'll have to look into that but, again, the 2/3 method is fool-proof and pretty darn easy.

EDIT:
1-2 counting works great for weapon reach/range though because you are going to be enforcing the straight-line path anyway.

Last edited by platimus; 09-21-2018 at 01:26 PM.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:48 PM   #53
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
if you do it the way you are describing, it becomes more difficult to execute and prone to errors than the 2/3 method (comparing to the 1-2 cycle).
Yes. I prefer the 2/3 method myself. Not that I have enough of a problem with hexes in the first place as to use it :)

Besides, hexes are part of the charm of TFT to me. It's the game that gave us the actual term "mega-megahex", which non-TFT gamers were still hip to. Mega-megasquares would just be... square.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:31 PM   #54
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Yes. I prefer the 2/3 method myself. Not that I have enough of a problem with hexes in the first place as to use it :)

Besides, hexes are part of the charm of TFT to me. It's the game that gave us the actual term "mega-megahex", which non-TFT gamers were still hip to. Mega-megasquares would just be... square.
LOL
Yes, hexes rule! The only reason to play this on squares is because you have a lot of product or pre-made material with squares.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote