Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-25-2020, 08:16 PM   #21
Pectus Solentis

Default Re: [Spaceships 5] Will I need Labs to perform Remote Survey Procedures?

When the explorers do Remote Survey they doesn't get specimens while they use scientific skills so I wondered there is a task for the Labs do or not. Will office help that? Or will lab help that?
Does lab need specimens to research, or just having theory or data to solve works for labs?

Last edited by Pectus Solentis; 02-25-2020 at 08:34 PM.
Pectus Solentis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:30 AM   #22
Pectus Solentis

Default Re: [Spaceships 5] Will I need Labs to perform Remote Survey Procedures?

Well, my conclusion is that Remote Survey Procedures are boosted by Offices and Planetary Explorations are boosted by Labs. The explanations for Remote Survey Procedures constantly mention Sensor Arrays so I think analyzing sensor images in the offices make sense.
And I found it reasonable that regarding Lab is for experimenting specimens. Remote Survey Procedures don't make any specimens to be researched in the Labs so It is my 2nd basis for that.

Long time no see.

Another question is this : Does Prospecting need Labs?

Last edited by Pectus Solentis; 09-17-2020 at 07:05 AM.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:09 AM   #23
DaltonS

The thing to remember is that labs don't only contain equipment, they are also the work environment of experienced scientists who know how to analyze particular kinds of data. That is why larger labs get higher bonuses; scientists consulting with each other get better answers. If all you are doing is collecting data to be analyzed somewhere else then what you need are good sensors. Don't forget the human (or sentient) side of the equation; just because you have access to a computer doesn't mean it will have all the answers.
Dalton “Now don't take this personally, computer.” Spence
DaltonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:28 PM   #24
YankeeGamer

If I were running it, I'd require labs for specimens that are being analyzed. I'd require good sensors for remote survey, and would seriously consider a large system for the bonus.

In some cases, a lab could be useful.
"Why is the atmosphere glowing like that?"
"It could be a reaction of A and B in radiation type C"
"OK--blend A and B in the likely proportions and excite it with radiation type C"
"OOPS! Looks like we need to replace lab 17."
YankeeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:09 PM   #25
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pectus Solentis View Post
Another question is this : Does Prospecting need Labs?
Spaceships 6 suggests no: it has prospecting ships, and they don't have labs.

Spaceships 5 strongly indicates tat labs are used for geological surveying.

I'd suggest that the trick is that prospecting proper is largely something you do on-site, using portable or semiportable equipment rather than a full lab installation. So it doesn't need a lab facility on the ship: you can just have a ton or so of portable lab kits in cargo. That said if you have an appropriate shipboard lab and actually use it (which might be a pain if it has to stay in orbit and have samples shuttled up) you probably should be able to get a bonus for using superior equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonS View Post
The thing to remember is that labs don't only contain equipment, they are also the work environment of experienced scientists who know how to analyze particular kinds of data. That is why larger labs get higher bonuses; scientists consulting with each other get better answers. If all you are doing is collecting data to be analyzed somewhere else then what you need are good sensors. Don't forget the human (or sentient) side of the equation; just because you have access to a computer doesn't mean it will have all the answers.
Dalton “Now don't take this personally, computer.” Spence
You need to have scientists with places to work, but scientists don't have to work in labs. If they're just working with data rather than physical experiments, scientists can putz around on computers in regular office spaces just like anyone else. I recall being in a biotech startup incubator building where about half the floor was actual lab spaces, and the other half was the same kind of mostly open-plan space that a (computer) tech startup incubator would feature.

I believe astronomers generally do almost all their work in offices, unless they're actually staffing a telescope.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:26 PM   #26
Pectus Solentis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Spaceships 6 suggests no: it has prospecting ships, and they don't have labs.

Spaceships 5 strongly indicates tat labs are used for geological surveying.

I'd suggest that the trick is that prospecting proper is largely something you do on-site, using portable or semiportable equipment rather than a full lab installation. So it doesn't need a lab facility on the ship: you can just have a ton or so of portable lab kits in cargo. That said if you have an appropriate shipboard lab and actually use it (which might be a pain if it has to stay in orbit and have samples shuttled up) you probably should be able to get a bonus for using superior equipment.
Thanks for your reasonable opinion.