Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-26-2019, 09:25 PM   #21
Sorenant

Default Re: Wizard Staff Tacticool Accessories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I'm a fan of the "warstaff" myself - a wizard staff with a sword blade on one end. Use the swordy end for stabbing and slashing, flip it around and use the butt for spellcasting. Not certain this is compatible with Basic Magic's concept of a "staff," however. For melee stats, use the dueling glaive or naginata stats. If you want a name for it (warstaff kind of works), atgeir was the best I got when I made a thread to figure one out. It's more for a mage/warrior hybrid than a dedicated mage, of course.
You mean something like this?
I find it pretty aesthetic and cool, but in order to be TACTIcool it needs to be detachable. Why? Because if the blade can be detached and used as knife, then he can either use both as spear, dual wield one in each hand (not sure why but it looks cool), just the staff as quarterstaff, or just the knife for optimal sentry removal. In short, separated blade allows for extra tacticool options.
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 12:39 AM   #22
(E)

Another tangent
Enchanting a staff with accuracy etc, but covering the missile spells cast through it rather than the melee attacks?
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 06:26 AM   #23
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
Another tangent
Enchanting a staff with accuracy etc, but covering the missile spells cast through it rather than the melee attacks?
Yeah, I can get behind this.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:44 AM   #24
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
Another tangent
That's a fun idea.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 01:54 PM   #25
William

Hmm... thinks about that for a bit... yeah, I think that'd be balanced. I might suggest that it be a variant, but an easy one (in particular, with the same cost, and not difficult to research if it were new), of the usual Accuracy spell, because as I understand it, Staff becomes an extension of the mage, and the weapon and armor enchantments must affect a weapon.

(What I'm being careful about is that this might open the door to variants of the weapon and armor enchantments meant to affect a person: Accuracy on your throwing arm for Missile spells, Puissance on the creature's claws, etc. Thing is, this still seems rather balanced: 250 energy would be Accuracy or Puissance +1, the same 10 points (in Devotional Enchantment) as 10 points for a level of ST, and worse thereafter. It's half the price of +1 DX for your aim, but the next level gets back to equal the price, and you can't do as much with it as with two levels of DX.

Enchanting a bit of yourself as a Powerstone is a cheap but pretty limited Energy Reserve: it recharges at 1/day, and not at all if there's a larger Powerstone within 6 feet of you. A few levels of Fortify and Deflect on your skin would be extremely cheap compared to unlimited DR -- but they'd vanish after 5 injuries, unless you already had some natural DR.

But this is all tangential to the staff accessories thread, so I'll stop here!)
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 05:53 PM   #26
martinl

Sterilizing Wipe Dispenser - A specialized compartment for hypochondriac mages.

Cup Holder
- Note that 24 oz pumpkin spice pautachinos are so hot his year.

Doggie Wast Bag Dispenser - For messy familiars.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 06:45 PM   #27
Plane

Named Possession (Power-Ups 2 Perks 19 or Magical Styles 28) seems to allow you to treat an item similar to an Ally where they gain power relative to your gain in character points, except instead it's points spent on Enchantment and I guess you don't even need to know the Enchantment college?

Staff Bond (Magical Styles 32) is also pretty useful, and Super-Sympathy (Magical Styles 33) on your staff.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:04 PM   #28
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
Using screws might damage the staff, so unless you can get a qualified staff artificer to install the rails, I suggest using clamps instead. That's assuming this is an after-market addition - if installed during creation of the staff it should be okay as long as your current environment allows for staves with some metallic components. If not, you'll be to look at some organic substitute. Magic can be so annoyingly fickle.
In one of my vague setting ideas (possibly a Monster Hunters variant, but maybe not), it would be fine as long as the rail and screws were made of bronze or other non-ferrous metal, though it would be preferable if at least the holes for the screws were drilled before enchanting. Using iron would void the warranty (if you got one), as well as potentially damaging the enchantment if left in too long.

I wonder if adding a war-spirit to an already-enchanted staff would count as tacticool? Probably only if the spirit were inhabiting a separate fetish attached to the staff. Hmm.

War Fetish - A spiritual item containing a ghost or other warrior-spirit that grants the user bonuses to Tactics and/or other combat- or military-related skills that the spirit is especially competent at. Specific bonuses vary by spirit.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:07 PM   #29
martinl

Tactical Bacon Slot - dispenses bacon.

Soul Claw - Can snare the soul of a being killed by a spell from the staff. Requires a successful sacrificial ritual roll at -5.

Boom Stick
- This is a magical limpet mine.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 09:16 PM   #30
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
Boom Stick - This is a magical limpet mine.

New from Gnomco, the Staff accessory all the Mages are on fire over:

Gnomco's Stiffit Mine Launcher!

"These mines aren't limp-ets, they're stiff-its!"
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, staff, tacticool