Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-07-2019, 10:55 PM   #1
Randoms2

Default Clarification on whip-based striker

Hello guys, I am trying to build out an advantage for a beast companion in my campaign to have a long, whip-like appendage that comes out of it's body and I wanted to achieve a few goals out of it. Think of it like a long tentacle that comes out of the back of a displacer beast

1) Be able to deal SW based damage
2) Be able to parry
3) Be able to perform a basic grapple on an opponent

For the first point, as far as I could tell through research, neither Strikers or Extra Limbs are capable of doing swing damage on their own. Also for the third point, I have the No Fine Manipulators disadvantage (It's a quadrupedal beast), so would a striker ever be capable of grappling? Am I even allowed to purchase Extra Arm despite having NFM? Through research, I saw people mentioning ST based innate attacks but I feel like that is a very clumsy way of doing this and I don't believe it would be able to grapple, right?

I wanted to present a rough draft for my GM on my idea, and so far my research has led me to presenting him a house rule suggestion. I was going to ask if I could purchase Striker {Crushing 5, Long 3 (300%)}, and asking if it would be appropriate for said striker to deal SW based damage albeit at the cost of the +1 damage per dice (as SW damage obviously benefits absurdly from this). With the added benefit of being able to parry/grapple too

Is this a good resolution/proper way of doing this? Also as a final question, would the loss of the +1 damage per dice be worthy of a custom limitation to reduce the cost or would the ability to deal swing damage more or less cancel out.
Randoms2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:21 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Clarification on whip-based striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randoms2 View Post

1) Be able to deal SW based damage
2) Be able to parry
3) Be able to perform a basic grapple on an opponent
Best option is the Natural Weapon article in Pyramid, Ill look it up in a bit.
RAW option though is Extra Arm, see the Elphant p. B460 for an example.
Its trunk is built like this Trunk (Extra-Flexible; Long, +1 SM; Weak, 1/4 ST)
Take One Arm instead of NFM and drop weak for normal damage. Add a claw or Striking ST if you want it to hit harder, or go full ST or Arm ST for just the tail.

Pyramid #3/65 Natural Weapons. Its an Alt GURPS issue so not technically RAW,unlike other Pyramid articles.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:51 PM   #3
Randoms2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Best option is the Natural Weapon article in Pyramid, Ill look it up in a bit.
RAW option though is Extra Arm, see the Elphant p. B460 for an example.
Its trunk is built like this Trunk (Extra-Flexible; Long, +1 SM; Weak, 1/4 ST)
Take One Arm instead of NFM and drop weak for normal damage. Add a claw or Striking ST if you want it to hit harder, or go full ST or Arm ST for just the tail.

Pyramid #3/65 Natural Weapons. Its an Alt GURPS issue so not technically RAW,unlike other Pyramid articles.
The Pyramid article you linked was perfect! Striker component is there (5pts crushing), flexible for grapple, and swing-capable for swing damage, literally all three right there. I also looked at the elephant trunk-like approach but considering we are mid-campaign already, and I think it might cause some unneeded complications (like explaining what to do with discounted stats from NFM -> One arm).

Thank you so much!
Randoms2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:57 PM   #4
Refplace

Your welcome, and good luck.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote