Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 09:21 PM   #1
PriusGuy2004

Default Question about the FAQs

As I was reading through the FAQs, I came across this one under Cards and Items:

Quote:
Q. Okay, I gotcha. But what if I have to discard a card, do I discard from my hand? Or in play?
A. If you have to discard and it doesn't specify from where (e.g., the Wizard's charm spell) then you can choose from any of the cards you possess.
I'm wondering if the Wizard's "Charm Spell" in the answer response should be replaced with the Wizard's "Flight Spell"? According to the Wizard Class card text, the "Charm Spell" can only be activated by discarding (minimum 3) all cards in your hand. The "Charm Spell" does specify from where you must discard cards, but the "Flight Spell" says you may "discard up to 3 cards after rolling the die..." which I would assume could either be from cards in your hand or cards in play (either in use or not in use).

In Clipper's response in this thread (See post #3 of his), he seems to confirm my question as well:

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=121893

Thanks...
Chris
Old 01-06-2014, 09:52 PM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Question about the FAQs

The Wizard's charm spell is an example of something that does specify. So, if the the instruction doesn't specify, in a way like the Wizard's charm does, then it can be either cards from your hand or from those you have in play.
MiB #1029
Old 01-06-2014, 10:22 PM   #3
DoomedDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
The Wizard's charm spell is an example of something that does specify. So, if the the instruction doesn't specify, in a way like the Wizard's charm does, then it can be either cards from your hand or from those you have in play.
I think PriusGuy is trying to say that the FAQ should say "e.g., The Wizard's flight spell" instead of what it currently says "e.g., The Wizard's charm spell" since the charm spell does specify and the example is trying to give one that doesn't.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:32 PM   #4
MunchkinMan

Yes, I understood what PriusGuy was saying. I was saying what the FAQ was trying to explain. If it doesn't work, it should be fixed. Regardless, it makes more sense to reference an ability which does specify rather than one that doesn't.
MiB #1029
Old 01-06-2014, 10:38 PM   #5
PriusGuy2004

To me, when I read the answer, it makes more sense when the Flight Spell is given as the example...as DoomedDuck tried to clarify for me. So will this be changed in the FAQ?
Old 01-06-2014, 10:56 PM   #6
MunchkinMan

And what I am saying is that it makes more sense to give an example of the an ability that does specify (since that's actually more visible on a card than lack of a specification), and that if there is sufficient confusion, the answer needs to be changed to reflect the right wording to use charm spell and not flight spell.

I don't make changes to the FAQ, so I can't say if/when it will be changed. What I can say is that I think it's clear what you think and what I think, and other voices beyond Andrew's, at this point, are unnecessary, so I'm closing the thread.
MiB #1029
Closed Thread

Tags
charm, class, flight, spell, wizard