Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 12-31-2019, 05:18 PM   #1
Axle

Default Death Test Giddiness

Thank you Mr Jackson for reclaiming your rights to these fine games and the Kickstarter campaign. We played Death Test last week with two old friends and some of their kids. We used to play ITL during lunchtimes and weekends in the early 80s. These games will always hold a special place in my heart as two of my earliest and most fun games of my teen years. From day one this system made tons more sense the game that has initials of D&D.

35 years on the game is still as fun, as quick, as strategic and as deadly as in 1980. We played death test last week and I was positively giddy afterwards. Three of the party of five survived, and today we played the start of a new campaign with the survivors and two new characters, who now work for the Thorsz’ mercenaries. Craziness abounded. One new character was killed again (don’t get too attached to your characters!) and fun had by all as they battle the evil Murgos for control of the Sarmatian steppe...

We used a mix of the old games (and the purple fantasy master screen) and the new ones. My god- I just went back in time to 39-40 years ago!

Photos: https://twitter.com/wolves19671/stat...808613890?s=21

Last edited by Axle; 12-31-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 05:38 PM   #2
larsdangly

Default Re: Death Test Giddiness

Welcome back to the fold! I think a lot of us were early-80's players who are delighted to be back at the table with a fresh take on the game.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 05:39 PM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
I’ll attach photos once I figure out how...
Regular users can't upload photos on these forums. Use a photo-sharing site and post a link instead.

Glad you enjoyed your trip down memory game.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 09:09 PM   #4
Skarg

TFT making sense was always one of the main features that got me to love it, and the lack of that feature in most other RPGs has been why I haven't been very interested in most others.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for deadliness.

And I especially like your regional map! Having player-facing maps like that, while the GM is the only one who sees the accurate hex maps, made exploring and trying to acquire or make accurate maps one of the most fun and compelling parts of campaign play for us.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 07:50 AM   #5
Axle

Thanks. Real life combat was probably quick and deadly. I like that in a game. I also like how the game rules and tactics play themselves out a bit like a real brawl or fight. you advance slowly, keep your front to the enemy and slug it out when you finally meet. I’d like some Larger battle matts to customize tho.

I also gave my players their own distinctive “view” of their world based on what tribes they are from. I like grittiness in a game. No lawful good, chaotic neutral for me, everything is in shades of gray in this swords and sorcery campaign. There are no good guys and bad guys per se (even tho their really are!)
Old 01-02-2020, 04:45 AM   #6
ParadoxGames

Hex, Axle, are you a member in the TFT Discord group? It's filled with many active members who, like you, are reliving those early days of The Fantasy Trip. There are concurrent Play-by-post adventures ongoing at the moment, and always room for more if you like to play that way. Along with that are dice, a radio station, and more. If you're interested with connecting, the invitation link is in my signature file.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:29 AM   #7
Axle

Thanx-I’ll check out the dischord site
Old 02-12-2020, 10:49 PM   #8
JustAnotherJarhead

Cool game pics, we always had a shortage of female gamers, so it's nice to see it's not a sausage fest in your house. I love the coffee mug. :)
JustAnotherJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote