Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-18-2018, 09:54 AM   #21
starslayer

Default Re: Crystal sword...

Fiberglass is pretty resilient material, and there are several varieties that are actually transparent (Fiberglass in this context being the generic term, so 'fibrous strong fragile material suspended in matrix of soft flexible material')

It might be possible to use something like diamond slivers or carbon nanotubes in an already strong poly-carbonate matrix to make something that would be serviciable as a blade (but still inferior to an actual metal blade).

This article is rather well researched even if its about apple, with links to multiple researchers and various projects
https://www.compositesworld.com/blog...ent-composites
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:15 AM   #22
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulon View Post
Frostreavers. They melt when they get above the freezing point.
Those were axes rather than swords.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:57 PM   #23
Flyndaran
Untagged

My first thought was, "does that matter?". But then I supposed that axes probably don't need the flexibility swords do, so stiffer materials may work for them anyway.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:51 PM   #24
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
My first thought was, "does that matter?". But then I supposed that axes probably don't need the flexibility swords do, so stiffer materials may work for them anyway.
Material requirements for axes are generally less challenging than for swords. There's a reason you can find stone axes but can't find stone swords (unless you count a Macuahuitl).
Old 02-18-2018, 09:06 PM   #25
lwcamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhd View Post
And to match the fantasy cliche, it pretty much would have to be a single crystal, wouldn't it? With no boundaries to mess up refraction.
Or it could have cubic crystal symmetry. Cubic symmetry crystals are isotropic, so that the boundary between two crystals will still have the same optical properties on both sides and thus will not scatter light. You can get transparent polycrystalline materials if the atoms align on a cubic lattice.

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:54 PM   #26
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcamp View Post
Or it could have cubic crystal symmetry.
Or it could be an amorphous solid, such as glass, that's cut in whatever shape desired.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:34 AM   #27
starslayer

Are there any crystals/glasses that have the same refraction index as air?

That would actually be kind of neat. (though would have virtually nothing to contribute to a crystal sword because its physical properties would likely be junk, but it would be neat because it would be virtually invisible).
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:28 AM   #28
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
Are there any crystals/glasses that have the same refraction index as air?
The best I found with a quick search was a TiO2-SiO2 material intended for making graded, anti-reflective coatings to gradually match the substrate index with that of air, which material could be adjusted down to about 1.05. So by that metric, the glass sword is looking better (ha) than the ice one -- though the paper didn't cover the material properties or behavior in larger than tiny surface applications.

Feel free to substitute sufficiently advanced magic for the self-shadowing thin-film vapor deposition nanotechnology used in the paper.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:17 PM   #29
Flyndaran
Untagged

I wonder if anyone's created a setting on a frigid world, possibly with liquid ammonia, where ice is the stone-like material for making weapons.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:22 PM   #30
GodBeastX

Are we talking JRPG fantasy trope? Because crystal in JRPG tends to be "Solidified Mana". And who knows what properties that has. Create your own! Could even do bonus magical damage like Azzalum from Fantasy Tech 1.

If it's "glass", then just use Superfine weapons from Ultratech which would include "Ceramics".