Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-17-2018, 08:11 AM   #11
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the Week: Clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
Actually, this is a pretty good example of clueless.... :p
More terribly low Perception, I think. I typed the correct title, and failed to notice that I'd hit something that got my browser to replace it with a previously used title.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:09 AM   #12
Culture20

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the Week: Clueless

When a friend wanted to join a supers campaign as an alternate universe Iceman, I statted up his character with Code of Honor (Professional: Accountant) and started him out with a client’s briefcase of financial information that he had to keep safe during super battles until he could find his way home.
Culture20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:35 PM   #13
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the Week: Code of Honor

I have adapted the CoH from Mongoose's Conan the Barbarian for my games (the three examples in the core book are worth -10 CP). In the games that use my corruption and insanity mechanics, CoH gives +1 per -5 CP to avoid gaining permanent Corruption and permanent Insanity.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:05 PM   #14
Phantasm

In my Marvel Reboot project, I've added a "watered down" version of the Code of Honor (Comics Code) for Bronze Age and later heroes (since Comics Code best applies to the Silver Age of Comics, particularly when the Code itself was first applied):

Hero's: Protection of the innocent is the foremost, even at the cost of your own life. Never willingly abandon anyone – friend or enemy – to certain death. Never use more than the minimum force necessary to subdue an opponent. Work with the law whenever possible, even if you must work outside it. Never take a life unless absolutely necessary. -10 points.

For my Ranoc setting, I have the following:

Code of Honor (Northern Raider): Be honest with your fellows, never break your sworn word, be hospitable to guests, do not tax another's hospitality, and show ingenuity in combat. -5 points.

Code of Honor (Eliminati): Maintain an aura of respectability; be skilled at arms; always challenge targets to a duel; always duel in front of witnesses; all duels are to the death; never accept a contract on someone who has survived a prior Eliminai duel. -10 points.

(Eliminati... gotta love duelist assassins.)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:37 PM   #15
jason taylor

CoH Hoplite's

Defend the Sacred Soil of the Polis
Never Abandon Your Comrade Or Cast Your Shield Aside
Remain In the Order you are Placed
Let Your Defeated Foe Come Back For His Dead; Armor is Rightful Spoil
Old 02-18-2018, 06:48 AM   #16
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
There are quite a few Codes of Honor defined, at least loosely, in GURPS supplements. Action has “Stay Bought,” Adaptions “Gentlewoman’s” and “Confucian,” and Aliens: Sparrials “Gentleman Thief’s.” [B]
“Gentlewoman’s” isn’t defined at all, actually; it’s merely listed on Elizabeth Bennet’s character sheet. As it’s valued at -10 points, I assume that the idea is that it’s the Gentleman’s Code, but as Lizzie is a lady, not a gentleman, it would be impolite not to correct the semantic gender.

However, I think this raises an issue. Of course Lizzie shares the values of her class, the Georgian gentry, and as she presents as a good person by that class’s standards, she’s as “honourable” as her male counterparts. But, this being a very gendered society and class, her Honour isn’t likely to get her into any duels or other armed conflicts; at most, she’ll carefully hand serious issues off to her male relatives to resolve by all honourable means. So I’d dispute that she has a -10 point Code. At most, it’s a -5 pointer; “Keep your word and treat all issues of honour seriously”.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:44 AM   #17
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
At most, it’s a -5 pointer; “Keep your word and treat all issues of honour seriously”.
There is also a this issue of deference to men in authority which is not just due to her status in comparison to them but what is considered proper by the code of her society.

And she can't handle matters of honor as men do, she must hand them off to a male.

If following the code her society her actions are as constrained as man's, just in other ways.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:59 AM   #18
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
“Gentlewoman’s” isn’t defined at all, actually; it’s merely listed on Elizabeth Bennet’s character sheet. As it’s valued at -10 points, I assume that the idea is that it’s the Gentleman’s Code, but as Lizzie is a lady, not a gentleman, it would be impolite not to correct the semantic gender.

However, I think this raises an issue. Of course Lizzie shares the values of her class, the Georgian gentry, and as she presents as a good person by that class’s standards, she’s as “honourable” as her male counterparts. But, this being a very gendered society and class, her Honour isn’t likely to get her into any duels or other armed conflicts; at most, she’ll carefully hand serious issues off to her male relatives to resolve by all honourable means. So I’d dispute that she has a -10 point Code. At most, it’s a -5 pointer; “Keep your word and treat all issues of honour seriously”.
She would be constrained to be "modest" in her dress and behaviour in a way that men and common women would not.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:17 PM   #19
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
There is also a this issue of deference to men in authority which is not just due to her status in comparison to them but what is considered proper by the code of her society.

And she can't handle matters of honor as men do, she must hand them off to a male.

If following the code her society her actions are as constrained as man's, just in other ways.
Some of this is implicit in her Social Stigma (Second-Class Citizen), though. I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong, but let's make sure we're not double-dipping.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:39 PM   #20
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
Some of this is implicit in her Social Stigma (Second-Class Citizen), though. I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong, but let's make sure we're not double-dipping.
Society expecting certain things of a character and that character being constrained by a Code of Honour to conform to society's expectations are, in my view, different disadvantages.

Like Duty and Sense of Duty toward the organisation (or country) to which you have Duty can work together.

Tags
code of honor, disadvantage of the week