Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-17-2018, 11:16 PM   #1
Nautilust

Default [Castle Falkenstein] Help Building a Native American Shaman

I'm playing in a 4th Edition Conversion of Castle Falkenstein that my GM threw together that is set in the United States. Last time we were going to play something happened and we had to delay the game for a while, and I didn't complete my character. Now we are set to play tomorrow, problem is I never made a character. Between work and personal situations i just didn't have the time to sit down and do it.

I would greatly appreciate it if the community here would help me put together a character so that we are able to play tomorrow. I'm aware how close we are to game time (around 12 pm tomorrow) so i've alerted the rest of the group (the GM and 1 other player we have at the moment) that we may have to delay or even cancel the game. But I would hate to have to do that given how long we've already had to delay playing.

I plan on playing a Native American Shaman (Northwest Tribes, specifically Salish in origin.)

We are starting at 450 pts with a 100 pt Disadvantage Limit.

So far I have

Attributes
DX +2 [40], IQ +4 [80], HT +2 [20]

Advantages
Ally (Earth Elemental; Constantly Available x4, built on 100% +5, Summonable +100%) [40]
Ally (Phantom Animal Familiar; Constantly Available x4, built on 100%, Summonable +100%) [40]
Ally (Water Elemental; Constantly Available x4, built on 100% +5, Summonable +100%) [40]
Alternate Form (Gray Wolf; Projected Form -50%) [?]
Autotrance [1]
Channeling (Aware +50%) [15]
Detect Supernatural Phenomena and Beings [30]
Jumper (Spirit) [100]
Medium (Universal +50%) [15]
See Spirits [15]
Spirit Empathy [10]

Also Either
Power Investment (Shamanic) [10 per level]
or
Sorcerous Empowerment [20 + 10/level]
and
Sorcerous Talent [10/lvl]
(Depending on what the GM approves)
Plus Spells

This all comes up to 300+ points in Advantages, before adding additional advantages, enhancements, or limitations. Which is more than 50% of my points.

With the 140 from Attributes and the 300+ from advantages that's 440+ pts just 10 short of the 450 pt. limit.

Possible Changes would be
Ally (Earth Elemental) - Lower Availability to Appears Almost All The Time
Ally (Water Elemental) - Lower Availability to Appears Quite Often, Lower built on 100% to built on 75% or 50%)
Detect Supernatural Phenomena and Beings - Add PM: Shamanic Gift
See Spirits- Add PM: Shamanic Gift

I would appreciate additional ideas on limitations to add.

I haven't gotten to Disadvantages or Skills yet.
Nautilust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:14 AM   #2
The Colonel

Default Re: [Castle Falkenstein] Help Building a Native American Shaman

If it helps, I think we have the real thing around here somewhere - or at least a clergyman of some Native American tradition.

Chap called Ghostdancer if memory serves...
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:11 PM   #3
Refplace

I thought about skipping this thread but I'll chime in.
The build looks pretty good.
It strikes me as more of a Summoner than a Shaman but you have caught the advantages you really need.
The thing is shaman are often treated as casters in most games. Like a mage, just different spells. Druids are closer but still pretty much the same.
I liked that you have a projected form and Channeling with Aware.
Consider placing Projection on Jumper (Spirit).
Also consider Afflictions, especially as an Alternative Ability.
Here is one I have on my Powers based shaman.
• Spirits Friend: Affliction (IQ; Bears Slumber, Birds Eye, Daze, Ecstasy, Itching (-2 DX); +165%); (Extended Duration, *1000 (16 hours/MOS) or Extended Duration, *30; Fixed Duration, 1 hour; Malediction 1, or Malediction 2; +214%;) Spirit Gift, -30%) [45/level]. 45 points [9]

Bears Slumber (Regeneration, Regular (1HP/hour); Only while sleeping, -50%; Spirit, -10%; +100%).
Birds Eye (Telescopic Vision 2; Spirit, -10%; +90%).

It uses Alternative Enhancements from GURPS Powerups: Enhancements.
Each set of items in () are exclusive.
So it can do ONE of (Bears Slumber, Birds Eye, Daze, Ecstasy, Itching (-2 DX); +165%)
and ONE of
(Extended Duration, *1000 (16 hours/MOS) or Extended Duration, *30; Fixed Duration, 1 hour + Malediction 1, or Malediction 2; +214%;)
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:42 PM   #4
Refplace

I wanted to clarify what I said earlier.
The thing about casters is not a ding on this, the DF Shaman or other examples as much as it is a lamentation on how they work.
Shaman need strong social skills and dont command spirits as much as broker deals. Tough they do command minor spirits in a manner I would treat as Exorcism for healing in may cultures.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:45 AM   #5
The Colonel

Also, if you don't have Thaumatology you might want to pop over to Warehouse 23 - there is a lot there about spirit mediated magic, voluntary possession and similar things. Obviously "Shaman" covers a wide variety of practices and I don't know much about Native American religion but those might be of use to you (I think the voluntary possession thing is based on Vodou and hosting Loa).
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chargen