Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-11-2007, 07:48 PM   #1
KDLadage

Default I wrote an article on Helium... about GURPS

http://www.helium.com/tm/519892/goin...g-market-today

The question was "What is the best RPG on the market today?" Most all of the answers were in reference to computer based RPGs... but I figured I would go in the opposite direction. I expected to see my article drop like a lead balloon as it was against the grain of the other articles... I said that GURPS was the best (of course).

To my surprise, it rose quickly to #1 and has stayed there.

:)
KDLadage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:12 PM   #2
Gavynn

Default Re: I wrote an article on Helium... about GURPS

Things like this are very important. I played WoW briefly with my brother since he was big into it but it just is not the same. I guess I am "old school". Another friend of mine told me he read an article about the WoW phenomena is something unto itself and not actually serving to increase the size of the RP hobby in the sense that lots of people who start WoW don't have prior RP experience and don't move onto another RP game when they stop playing. I realize your article was not just about WoW but that is the online RPG I have played.

If someone knows about the article my friend was talking about I'd like to read it for myself, if anyone happens to have a link.
Gavynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:53 PM   #3
Dienekes

Nicely written. And, it's pleasantly surprising that it has been so well received at Helium.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:52 PM   #4
Smirg

Yes, nicely written.

Though, for an attempt to promote the hobby, I would have mentioned the free GURPS Lite instead of (or in addition to) the Basic Set. The latter is known to send newcomers running for the hills, screaming (because they don't read the introduction and think all those rules, skills etc. are mandatory).
Also, people are more likely to take a look if the magic word "free" is invoked. Gives a +5 TDM to Summon Interest. :)
Smirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:01 PM   #5
ronom

With a major "crunchy" book(High Tech)and MA through Fantasy/Sci-Fi in the line up, hopefully this should pick G4 up.
ronom is offline   Reply With Quote