Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-27-2015, 11:40 AM   #1
Samaster

Default Regeneration and Very Fit?

In a recent campaign of mine, a couple of my players got both Regeneration (1/sec, FP only) and Very Fit, and i was wondering if the whole "Recover FP at twice normal speed" applies with regeneration
Samaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:42 AM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Regeneration and Very Fit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samaster View Post
In a recent campaign of mine, a couple of my players got both Regeneration (1/sec, FP only) and Very Fit, and i was wondering if the whole "Recover FP at twice normal speed" applies with regeneration
It does not stack at all like that.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:22 PM   #3
Samaster

Alright, thank you for the clarification
Samaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:33 PM   #4
Phantasm

So how would Very Fit and any level of Regeneration (FP or FP Only) work?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:42 PM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
So how would Very Fit and any level of Regeneration (FP or FP Only) work?
You'd get the higher regeneration rate for FP, +2 for HT rolls, and you'd lose FP at half the normal rate. There is a post by Kromm stating that Regeneration and Rapid Healing don't interact in any way and it's reasonable to assume that Regeneration for Fatigue Points interact similarly. (Still trying to find the post to link here.) Of course, if your Regeneration doesn't work about some threats (like some modern interpretations of the werewolf) then Rapid Healing suddenly becomes very useful because it increases your natural healing rate against threats your Regeneration advantage do not cover.

Become a Patron!
Old 01-27-2015, 12:49 PM   #6
the_matrix_walker

I have disagree with Ghostdancer on this one. If the FP to be recovered is mundane FP use (not spell-casting of fueling powers/esoteric skills) both Advantages should apply.

With Regeneration (which includes Rapid Healing), I allow Very Rapid Healing for 10 points (the difference between Rapid Healing and Very Rapid Healing) to double regeneration speed (more accurately, to add HP/10, rounded down to a minimum of 1) to the number of HP they recover per interval. With the pricing structure of Regeneration, it's perfectly balanced to do so. I see no reason to treat Very Fit any differently.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:50 PM   #7
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
You'd get the higher regeneration rate for FP, +2 for HT rolls, and you'd lose FP at half the normal rate. There is a post by Kromm stating that Regeneration and Rapid Healing don't interact in any way and it's reasonable to assume that Regeneration for Fatigue Points interact similarly. (Still trying to find the post to link here.) Of course, if your Regeneration doesn't work about some threats (like some modern interpretations of the werewolf) then Rapid Healing suddenly becomes very useful because it increases your natural healing rate against threats your Regeneration advantage do not cover.
Seems like a candidate for Alternative Abilities, BTW.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:59 PM   #8
the_matrix_walker

Look at it this way... FP +10 will add 1 to your natural FP regeneration rate for 30 points.

Accessibility, Only for FP Recovery purposes, -XX% Has to be a pretty high limitation value.

Also note that Rapid Healing gives a bonus to healing rolls, but does not change the actual rate of recovery beyond what that bonus provides, you need Very Rapid Healing for that.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:07 PM   #9
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
I have disagree with Ghostdancer on this one. If the FP to be recovered is mundane FP use (not spell-casting of fueling powers/esoteric skills) both Advantages should apply.

With Regeneration (which includes Rapid Healing), I allow Very Rapid Healing for 10 points (the difference between Rapid Healing and Very Rapid Healing) to double regeneration speed (more accurately, to add HP/10, rounded down to a minimum of 1) to the number of HP they recover per interval. With the pricing structure of Regeneration, it's perfectly balanced to do so. I see no reason to treat Very Fit any differently.
And I thought so too. But PK points it out (I still cannot find where Kromm comes out and says it - and he does) that it's a house rule, not official interpretation. It's from this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Seems like a candidate for Alternative Abilities, BTW.
This was brought up by my other half where she had a character heal stupid fast from everything but iron weapons (10 HP/second) and heal damage inflicted by them at a rate of 1/12 hours. It's a nice alternative.

Become a Patron!
Old 01-27-2015, 02:55 PM   #10
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post

With Regeneration (which includes Rapid Healing), I allow Very Rapid Healing for 10 points (the difference between Rapid Healing and Very Rapid Healing) to double regeneration speed .
Not RAW at all. RH and VRH work "wen you roll to recover lost HP" and you never roll to use Regeneration. It just happens.

Rapid Healing could work in parallel with Regneration but there would be no synergy per the RAW. You may construct House rules as you please of course.

Tags
gurps, gurps 4th, rules clarification