Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-30-2014, 08:14 PM   #61
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: How Far is too Far with Cursed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
That would make it a very cheap Affliction, and I believe RPM energy cost is also based on CP cost of disadvantages.
It would reduce the cost of Curse from Psionic Powers by about 7 or 8 points and reduce the cost from giving someone Cursed in RPM from 15 energy (already cheap!) to a mere 1.

The problem isn't price (well, it's not just price) the problem is that there isn't a adequate description explaining what a GM should do when a character has this disadvantage. And really, no sane person should expect there to be a in-depth explanation of every single trait in a book meant to be a basic set. This thread has convinced me of two things: a) there are traits that need either to be beefed up some for the cost or offer a optional alternate pricing; and b) some traits need more explanation on how the GM should treat them in game play. Cursed or Terminally Ill isn't the only two that could do with such a treatment. Divine Curse. Dread. Weakness. I could go on. Some of the best disadvantages (and not surprisingly the most flexible) are simply too broad for a complete understanding of them to be had with a supplement that has to contend with word count or cannot specifically focus on them. Overall, some guidelines might help deal with some of these issues and they seem to crop up on the fora fairly frequently. Hmmm...

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!

Last edited by Christopher R. Rice; 12-30-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:39 PM   #62
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
The problem isn't price (well, it's not just price) the problem is that there isn't a adequate description explaining what a GM should do when a character has this disadvantage. And really, no sane person should expect there to be a in-depth explanation of every single trait in a book meant to be a basic set. This thread has convinced me of two things: a) there are traits that need either to be beefed up some for the cost or offer a optional alternate pricing; and b) some traits need more explanation on how the GM should treat them in game play. Cursed or Terminally Ill isn't the only two that could do with such a treatment. Divine Curse. Dread. Weakness. I could go on. Some of the best disadvantages (and not surprisingly the most flexible) are simply too broad for a complete understanding of them to be had with a supplement that has to contend with word count or cannot specifically focus on them. Overall, some guidelines might help deal with some of these issues and they seem to crop up on the fora fairly frequently. Hmmm...
That sounds like a pitch for a series of Pyramid articles...
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:47 AM   #63
Anders

He wouldn't!

Would he?
Old 12-31-2014, 10:29 AM   #64
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
Okay, but aesthetically it's just better to stack up clueless, bad smell, etc. rather than just to have a catch-all disadvantage that doesn't quite fit, no?
My point was that -75 (or worse) points of constantly in-your-face disadvantages that are very personally pointed at your character can be a lot of fun.

The key is, I suspect, how much the player personally identifies with the character. It's pretty normal for a player character to be a sort of "author insertion" character, but my relationship is more impersonal, like an actor playing a part.

I may have made the character myself, but I made them to be put into a game and be shot at, hacked at, fed into deathtraps, and in the case of big smelly minotaurs, to be made fun of and locked out of bars.

If I'd made a big cursed minotaur, everything that popped up to sabotage his life would be part of his purpose in the game. I'd also be making up stories of other terrible things that'd happened to him before game-start, as feedstock for the GM and just for entertainment value. It's not adversarial for the GM to torment my Cursed character, it's exactly what I wanted.

It can have a sort of Wiley-Coyote amusement value packed in to it.

If your player doesn't have that kind of relationship with their character, definitely don't let them take Cursed or even Unlucky. Similarly, if your group doesn't have the slightly black sense of humour that finds kicking the designated butt-monkey amusing, don't allow them as they'll otherwise be frustrating or upsetting other party members.

The other players are a valuable resource for thinking up horrible things to have happen to a Cursed character, you need them on board to distribute that workload and make them feel less like the Cursed PC is a spotlight hog. It's like having a shadow-guide from Wraith, only the whole party is doing it so each person doesn't have to work as hard.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:20 PM   #65
Not

Is there an Advantage that makes it difficult for other PCs to get rid of you? Super-high Charisma or Social Regard, perhaps?

What did Bill Murray have in What About Bob? that made him "human krazy-glue"?
Old 12-31-2014, 04:50 PM   #66
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
Is there an Advantage that makes it difficult for other PCs to get rid of you? Super-high Charisma or Social Regard, perhaps?

What did Bill Murray have in What About Bob? that made him "human krazy-glue"?
Pitiable and a little charisma, plus the contrast to Richard Dreyfuss' character making him a seemingly better person than he really was.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:10 PM   #67
oneofmanynameless

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoFenton View Post
I have lived my long and drawn out life Cursed by the gods. They have made me into a living lightning rod, a supercharged monster magnet, tragically fated to have all the ills of the world befall me. They never let me die, or at least leave me dead for long, as my Punishment can never end - their lust for my suffering can never be quenched.

When walking through peaceful forests, the largest tree will always spontaneously fall, and land on me. From clear blue skies I have been struck by meteors. If I pick up a weapon, you can guarantee that I'll be the one injured by it within the minute. I have been hunted by armies, pursued by demonic wraiths, and spent far too many months of my life in the gut of some giant beast. I've been blown up, dissolved, torn limb from limb, sacrificed to countless deities real and imaginary. Oh, I have suffered for sure, and I will continue to.

Except, the thing those gods didn't count on, is that they have made me a God too. I am at the epicentre of an eternal storm of destruction and misery. I am the maelstrom that drags in everything bad from around it. I am a force of nature, bringing with me all the chaos of Hell in my wake. I may not be able to start a fire without burning the house down, but it's not my house, so why should I care?

It may take me a long time, and it might be an entirely haphazard approach, but I will march forever onwards towards my enemies - and I will destroy them piece by piece, riling up all that is calm and predictable, destabilising their lives using the fallout of this 'Curse'. Justice wont be swift, but it will be inevitable, you can't out run the reach of my power. For I am the God of Pandemonium and the world will burn around me.
<3 so much love for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoFenton View Post
=) *bows*

Thank you - although I thought your avatar was a raven? Clearly all corvids are alike.

If you ever try to make a character like this, be sure to use get some Serendipity too, that way you can share the 'love' more readily.
And Unkillable 3!!! That way you really CAN'T stay dead forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
It would reduce the cost of Curse from Psionic Powers by about 7 or 8 points and reduce the cost from giving someone Cursed in RPM from 15 energy (already cheap!) to a mere 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
Or!!! Or or or!!! A full supplement!?! I can see a full supplement just about Divine Curse. Although perhaps a pyramid article is more appropriate in length for weakness or dread...
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:19 PM   #68
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
Indeed it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
He wouldn't!

Would he?
I would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofmanynameless View Post
Or!!! Or or or!!! A full supplement!?! I can see a full supplement just about Divine Curse. Although perhaps a pyramid article is more appropriate in length for weakness or dread...
Yeah, Divine Curse is one of those traits that is (for a GM like me) just perfect. It can be used in just about any sort of game given the right tinkering. Disadvantages in general are in my wheelhouse and I'm really good at helping players get to the exact right amount for what they want. I'd really just like to write "Power-Ups XX: Disadvantages," but that series has been mostly staff-written and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cursed, gurps, social