Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 01-22-2019, 10:35 PM   #1
owenmp

Default Autoduelling Restrictions for Campaigns

This post is not intended to discuss the politics of weaponry in the real world of 2019.

The article below has been mentioned several times on Twitter.

Gilchrest and Haskell Propose Tax on Ammunition
https://patch.com/connecticut/bethel...tax-ammunition
Bethel, CT Patch
Jan 18, 2019 3:13 pm ET

This article made me think of information published in the AADA Road Atlas and Survival Guide for the fictional game world of 2030s Autoduel America.

The printed volumes of the AADA RASG, and the supplemental entries in ADQ, listed areas that had autoduelling restrictions.

In Car Wars campaigns that have areas that use higher taxes on weaponry and ammunition to control autoduelling, would all types of weapons and ammunition have those higher taxes? Would non-damage-causing defensive weaponry and ammunition such as smokescreens and paint sprayers be exempt from those higher taxes?
Twitter: Car Combat Central
https://twitter.com/carcombat
owenmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:41 PM   #2
43Supporter

Default Re: Autoduelling Restrictions for Campaigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenmp View Post
In Car Wars campaigns that have areas that use higher taxes on weaponry and ammunition to control autoduelling, would all types of weapons and ammunition have those higher taxes?
Most likely -- in Reality, a state which charges sales tax will charge it on everything it can get away with; one does not see "a tax on gasoline, but not on windshield-washer fluid", for ex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenmp View Post
Would non-damage-causing defensive weaponry and ammunition such as smokescreens and paint sprayers be exempt from those higher taxes?
See above -- "a paint cloud can block someone's windshield and cause an accident; it's a dangerous weapon, and must be taxed".

(Many moons ago, when I wrote "_The Death of EDSEL_", one of the factors involved was EDSEL's support of near-punitive taxation rates on weapons and ammo -- a de-facto Ban, rather than a de-jure; "oh, you *can* have weapons... good luck *paying* for them".)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:21 PM   #3
Blue Ghost

To me this is just one of those common sense things in that it depends on your flavor of your personal setting. In some warlord torn desert region, bordering on C&C territory, I would it would depend on how corrupt or tyrannical the local government is. It might be on a county by county basis, or territorial basis. I can see states like my California having some counties that heavily tax offensive weapons, but perhaps give tax credits for defensive weaponry.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:18 PM   #4
juris

I've always thought of the CW universe as a dystopia - a tongue in cheek dystopia (Uncle Al). The only reason to have a 'restricted' area would be to violate those restrictions - the Chekhov's Gun trope.
juris is offline   Reply With Quote