Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-10-2017, 09:06 AM   #1
Jose

Default [4e] UT - Armor and power consumption

While building loadouts for my orbital elite troops I notice that neither the space armor nor any of the environmental suits provide information as to the power use of such suits. Its fairly obvious that such capabilities should use power cells of some sort. The errata doesn't seem to mention anything either.

Have anyone found any place where this is addressed?
Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:22 AM   #2
weby

Default Re: [4e]UT - Armor and power consumption

The unpowered armors have only really the life support and electronics that require power. The electronics are mostly in the helmet UT 180 and those have power cells. For the life support you could well use the corresponding TL vac suit power cell requirements from UT 179.

Also Pyramid 3/96 article Ultra-Tech Armor Design has rules for life support system(and few other accessories) power cell needs that are basically the same values.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:32 PM   #3
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
. For the life support you could well use the corresponding TL vac suit power cell requirements from UT 179.
Kenneth Peters once said that he thought "space armor" was supposed to be a combination of the Combat Hardsuit and the Smart Vacc Suit built using the Combination Gadget rules. They come out about 2 lbs too heavy for that assumption but they are quite close.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:44 PM   #4
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Kenneth Peters once said that he thought "space armor" was supposed to be a combination of the Combat Hardsuit and the Smart Vacc Suit built using the Combination Gadget rules. They come out about 2 lbs too heavy for that assumption but they are quite close.
If you just add the two together, you wind up with a space vacc suit that has 6 more points of DR and costs $5,000 less. Interestingly enough, the combat hardsuit has a waste relief system, and neither the vacc suit nor the space armor does (errata?).
Old 02-10-2017, 04:18 PM   #5
Flyndaran
Untagged

It's that it's written how the bioplas space suit can function for 6 weeks on solar power but doesn't have any waste relief systems whatsoever that really makes me grimace.
Poopies seem to be ignored for most science fiction settings.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:41 AM   #6
weby

Yes, the long duration space suits should likely have waste relief systems. For the Biosuit it is just a small extra cost, no weight increase due to the suit feeding on the waste products.

On the combat armor/space armor and the Ultra-Tech Armor Design:

If you take the combat armor and add Large Air Tank, Life-Support System and remove the Extreme Climate Control you get +12 lbs and +$1000. So both the weight and cost are quite wrong.

To get the right price you would need to use Extended Life-Support System. So Extended Life-Support System+Small Air Tank and remove the Extreme Climate Control, is +$9 860 that is rounded to $10 000=right cost. If you then add enough cells to power the suit for the duration(for TL10-12, TL 9 needs a lot less cells) that is +16lb total so actually very close. It gives 1.67/15/20/25 day operation time.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:22 AM   #7
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Yes, the long duration space suits should likely have waste relief systems. For
If you take the combat armor and add Large Air Tank, Life-Support System and remove the Extreme Climate Control you get +12 lbs and +$1000. So both the weight and cost are quite wrong.

In UT all the Vacc suits and presumably vacc suit-derived space armors use the 4 lb Medium Air tank. Only the TL 9 and 10 Battlesuits use the Large Tank. Higher TL-suits of all kind appear to use something based off of the Space Biosuit.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:21 PM   #8
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
In UT all the Vacc suits and presumably vacc suit-derived space armors use the 4 lb Medium Air tank. Only the TL 9 and 10 Battlesuits use the Large Tank. Higher TL-suits of all kind appear to use something based off of the Space Biosuit.
Yes, but I am trying to come up with explanations why the space armor is 45lb/$20000 when the combat armor is 30lb/$10000 so the difference is +15lb/+$10000.

Even with the large tank it does not get heavy enough if you use the basic Life-Support System.

The Extended Life-Support version actually comes close in weight and cost for the TL 10-12 versions(mostly because the power cells to operate the life support that long are heavy)
Old 02-11-2017, 02:56 PM   #9
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Yes, the long duration space suits should likely have waste relief systems. For the Biosuit it is just a small extra cost, no weight increase due to the suit feeding on the waste products.
That assumes usable energy from waste humans were unable to acquire and that the mass will what, just disappear? At best, it's still a "full diaper" after a day or two even if ultra tech makes it so it won't cause illness or rashes.

But like I said, icky aspects of biology almost always get swept under the rug with science fiction even more so than most modern or low tech settings.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:06 PM   #10
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
That assumes usable energy from waste humans were unable to acquire and that the mass will what, just disappear? At best, it's still a "full diaper" after a day or two even if ultra tech makes it so it won't cause illness or rashes.

But like I said, icky aspects of biology almost always get swept under the rug with science fiction even more so than most modern or low tech settings.
Yes, it is not like human and animal waste has ever been used as fertilizer for plants... I mean if they had been then there might be a possibility for ultra tech plants that are modified to be more efficient at that.

Tags
armor, ultra-tech