Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-10-2019, 01:54 PM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Limiting Supers

So, I was just curious how everyone limits supers in their Supers campaigns. I prefer to limit abilities to 20% of point total and power talents to 10% of point total. Cinematic advantages, cinematic skills, and gadgets count against the ability maximum while cinematic talents count against the power talent maximum. In addition, I have recently come around to the idea of completely banning the Cumulative modifier for advantageous Afflictions, as it makes it too easy for 500 CP characters to bootstrap their allies and dependents into gods (as well as themselves and other PCs).

What about you? What limits do you put on Supers in your campaigns? Do you think limits are required?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:31 PM   #2
naloth

Default Re: Limiting Supers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
What about you? What limits do you put on Supers in your campaigns? Do you think limits are required?
I have a thread devoted to this but basically I usually provide players with an idea what ranges their PCs should have. It's not point based as more expensive heroes often get as much from diversity as they do from just boosting the same abilities with more points.

I usually use guidelines rather than limits. If I suggest that a 6d attack is sufficient and a 12d will damage all but the most invulnerable opponents, I'd generally still let you take a higher damage attack.

The end result is that you want PCs that can function nicely as a team and everyone gets to enjoy the spotlight.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:42 PM   #3
Refplace

I tend to go with guidelines rather than specific caps and definitely dont go for rationing where the points are spent. That depends on the character, a newbie might be mostly focused on abilities, while a veteran more on skills.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:57 PM   #4
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Have you considered the -scale suggestions listed in GURPS Supers, on page 19? I've found they make for reasonable guidelines.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote