Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 07-16-2019, 08:54 AM   #1
b-dog

Default Faerie Sanctity idea

This idea is that faerie use faerie Sanctity instead of mana. The faerie Sanctity is the connection level to the faerie realm just as holy Sanctity is the connection to the Divine. The faerie are supernatural creatures that are not gods and are free willed and not directly aligned with good or evil. They have spells and powers that come from the connection to the faerie realm. In areas where the connection is strong like enchanted glades the faerie are extremely powerful. In areas where it is weak like cities or churches the faerie powers are weak too. The faerie Sanctity can be cleansed just the Infernal Sanctity can be cleansed. The faerie Sanctity is not mana and is not usable by wizards but it does detect as magical with a detect magic spell. There can even be places of low or no mana that have high faerie Sanctity. Most of the world is normal faerie Sanctity but some places have high or low. Some faeries depend of faerie Sanctity in order to survive and will die without it. Faeries often have powers and spells that use faerie Sanctity instead of magic. Iron acts as a no faerie Sanctity zone.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:04 AM   #2
Dammann

Default Re: Faerie Sanctity idea

The issue I see is that it makes faerie effectively another flavor of demon. You have a different sort of non-good sanctity which can be dealt with much like evil, but it is a different flavor. Maybe that is what you want, though.

Thematically, I could see lining faerie to nature’s strength, but for my part, I like them being tied to mana and wizards and all that, implying that wizards are tapping into this chaotic arcane energy with a systematic, hermetic approach. The indigenous mana entities are connecting in a more instinctive, almost biological way to mana.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:20 AM   #3
Black Leviathan

Given that Fae are seen as wild creatures how would Fae Sanctity vary from Nature's Strength?

Would the two be near-perfect overlays of location and power?

Would they effectively be different names for the same energy?
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:42 AM   #4
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammann View Post
Thematically, I could see lining faerie to nature’s strength, but for my part, I like them being tied to mana and wizards and all that, implying that wizards are tapping into this chaotic arcane energy with a systematic, hermetic approach. The indigenous mana entities are connecting in a more instinctive, almost biological way to mana.
I could agree that mana and glamour might be composed of the same magical energy but just in different compositions. Maybe a wizard could use glamour but it might be hard to use and maybe all failures are critical failures. A faerie could use the same glamour with no penalty or increased risk of critical failure. A place with no glamour and just mana might be difficult for a faerie to use but they could still use it ( maybe some sort of penalty on skill rolls). I like the idea that faerie areas are wildly magical and different than just high mana zones.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:42 AM   #5
b-dog

I just see that there are differences in wizards and faerie. They both use magic but they do it differently. A wizard might study magic in a tower and enchant items and so on but a faerie might not like this place at all. Too organized and not wild and free enough. The mana might be hard for the faerie to use so a wizard would have a huge advantage in his tower over the faerie. But in a secluded grove with a faerie ring the faerie could cast its spells almost effortlessly while the wizard might have a difficult time controlling the glamour or faerie magic and would likely cause critical failures. I guess this is to concept I am after.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:14 PM   #6
Anthony

I have to agree that I don't see a strong reason to distinguish fae sanctity from nature's strength.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:23 PM   #7
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I have to agree that I don't see a strong reason to distinguish fae sanctity from nature's strength.
I agree that druids are probably tapping into the same magical energy as most faeries. I think of druids as using the power of the old pagan gods and nature spirits and faerie are sort of an in-betweener spiritual being that lives in nature so druids should have access to that energy. But what about the unseelie? They might live in barren desolate lands or castle ruins.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:32 PM   #8
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
But what about the unseelie?
What about them? Nothing about nature's strength requires it to be friendly to humans, and fey who are associated with human evil are just going to use normal unholy sanctity.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:40 PM   #9
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
What about them? Nothing about nature's strength requires it to be friendly to humans, and fey who are associated with human evil are just going to use normal unholy sanctity.
Maybe a faerie like a church grim would be using holy Sanctity instead of nature Sanctity? Maybe it has converted to the Divine?

I can see that evil faeries that live in desolate lands are often far away from humanity. Evil faeries would likely live in dark lonely places in a dungeon too. Like in a natural cave system or in the ruins of a partially destroyed dungeon level.

The Drow lived in a huge cavern filled with fungal Forrests.

Last edited by b-dog; 07-16-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:55 PM   #10
b-dog

From a gaming point of view it might be good to make faerie use nature Sanctity because almost no monster uses it and it may give the Druid a chance to shine. The Druid is good for the trip to the dungeon but it may be nice to have monsters that the Druid can attack. With high nature Sanctity the redcap, ifrit, duergar etc are powerful but so is the Druid so the Druid will be more effective.